Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Mk2f gt gearbox oil leak

1vw2many

Hi all I have a leak on my gt gearbox from drive shaft I think ? Its definitely not from gear selector rod .Please look at photo. So anyone know the replacement seal I need please.

I'm hoping I can do it while box is in as I only have just put engine back in so it would twist my Mellons if I had to take it out again.

20210330_133112.jpg

20210330_133145.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1vw2many

• steveo3002

• dvderlm

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is from the 085 instructions   Removing ‒ Disconnect drive shaft from flanged shaft. ‒ Tie-up drive shaft as high as possibl

check with that seller first but should be what you need   yes can fit them on the car

Make sure you fasten the driveshaft spline bolts real tight when you refit each driveshaft universal joint to flange. Only small but all six bolts need 45Nm.   (I have seen a smashed gearbox

Posted Images

steveo3002
1vw2many

I just had a feeling you be the 1st in replying.  Yeah its a 5 speed .

1vw2many

I can do it without taking gearbox out ? Just remove drive shaft etc ? 

steveo3002

check with that seller first but should be what you need

yes can fit them on the car

• Thanks 1
dvderlm

Make sure you fasten the driveshaft spline bolts real tight when you refit each driveshaft universal joint to flange. Only small but all six bolts need 45Nm.

(I have seen a smashed gearbox casing from where these had worked loose at speed on nearside shaft.)

Easiest with a helper to put it in gear and stand on the brake pedal when you tighten, then neutral and no brakes to turn shaft for access the next spline bolt.

• Thanks 1
steveo3002

can also use vice grips on the disc or a screwdriver in the slot if you have vented discs when working alone....use a long extension to work from the wheel arch area 

• Thanks 1
nige8021

This is from the 085 instructions

Removing

• Disconnect drive shaft from flanged shaft.
  • Tie-up drive shaft as high as possible. Do not damage paint on drive shaft.
  • Remove flanged shaft securing bolts, to do this screw two bolts into the flange and counter-hold flanged shaft using a lever.

• Place drip tray underneath.
  • Remove flanged shaft.
  • → Pull seal out. Do not damage plate sleeve on right-hand side when doing this, otherwise leaks will occur.

Installing

• → Drive new seal in onto stop, when doing this do not cant seal.
  • Fill space between sealing lip and dust lip with multi-purpose grease.
  • Install flange shaft, tighten bolt to 25 Nm.

Note:

Left and right-hand flange shafts differ. Do not interchange.

• Install drive shaft, tighten bolts to 45 Nm.
  • Check gearbox oil level and if necessary top up to lower edge of filler hole.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1vw2many

All straight forward and car is already on axle stands so plenty of room for me to work on removing drive shaft etc. I will be doing it on my own as I already had engine a gearbox out last year when I sprayed the engine bay. 

Shame I didn't notice then when I drained it down and put new oil in. I shall order new parts soon and report how I got on. 

Thanks all.

1vw2many

Hi all I contacted the above link but not had a reply yet. So I'm I haven't moved forward with the job. 

While on the subject whats the correct gearbox oil ? Last time I used 75w 90 ? 

steveo3002

i used G  060 726 a2 from the dealers , wasnt much money 

that link should be right for an 085 , or search another seller for 085 seals 

1vw2many

I just got return email from above link and have confirmed its the correct seals for 085 box.

Seal kit from above link does not fit. I ordered it on the understanding from seller it will fit but not so . The seal i need is much smaller than the one I'm holding .

I will have to continue the search for correct one.  

Help most welcome.

20210413_112620.jpg

20210413_112709.jpg

Edited by 1vw2many
On 06/04/2021 at 14:29, steveo3002 said:

i used G  060 726 a2 from the dealers , wasnt much money 

that link should be right for an 085 , or search another seller for 085 seals 

Just got a price from audi parts direct for 4ltrs £45 . Gearbox only requires 3.1 ltr 

Edited by 1vw2many
1vw2many

Update gearbox oil (g060726a2) from Cardiff audi delived total £39.79.

Found correct gearbox seals on order from Germany. 

20210416_095108.jpg