Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

89 MK2 Breadvan Alternator warning lamp in dash not working.

mk2tastic

My MK2 polo Fox(1043) with the standard Dashboard(no rev counter/clock and trip) has an intermittent fault with the Alternator warning light not illuminating when the ignition is switched on.

Giving the top of the dash a thump brings it back on, so that tells me it’s not an alternator fault.

is this a common fault and is it fixable?

I’m good with a soldering iron if it’s likely to be dry joints.The worry is that without the warning light lit to start with the battery won’t charge, as I believe it needs the lamp lit to ‘excite’ the alternator into action.

Any help/guidance appreciated

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mk2tastic

• steveo3002

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not common...id start by pulling the cluster , make sure the multiplug is clean and tight , maybe a smear of dielectric grease on the pins    check over the blue foil for damage 

think so yes...cdrtainly much easier with it off...24mm nut btw

steveo3002

not common...id start by pulling the cluster , make sure the multiplug is clean and tight , maybe a smear of dielectric grease on the pins 

check over the blue foil for damage 

• Like 1
mk2tastic
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, steveo3002 said:

not common...id start by pulling the cluster , make sure the multiplug is clean and tight , maybe a smear of dielectric grease on the pins 

check over the blue foil for damage 

Is it steering wheel off to get the pod out?

just so I know before I start destroying things😀

Edited by mk2tastic
steveo3002

think so yes...cdrtainly much easier with it off...24mm nut btw

• Like 1