Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

dvderlm

You could change the starter bushing and gearbox oil with the box out.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eviljohn

• steveo3002

• dvderlm

• mk2tastic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dude, it's silky smoov at the moment so i'm leavin it the fudge alone!!!! As soon as the new cable arrives, it's going in the boot, so it's ready for when i need to change it over.   I

FINALLY got around to doing stall test. 3rd gear with handbrake on, engine cut out just as i got to top of clutch pedal travel. 4th gear and it actually moved a little before cutting out. Again, right

All fitted today. Like a new car. It was the original clutch but the guy that worked on it, wasn't the guy i spoke to when i dropped it all in, so he got rid of it.  Thanks for your guidance dude

Posted Images

dvderlm

Hm, I'd go for Sachs, LuK or Valeo.

QH aren't the force they once were.

Eviljohn

I have it booked in for clutch replacement. Will be driving as little as possible until that is done next week. 

Garage i use is normally happy for me to get parts i want fitted as it saves them time waiting for bits to arrive, and also i can normally get the right part first time, (with considerable help from peepa on here,) which they don't always get from thier supplier. This time, they have said they want to get the clutch kit because if i get the wrong part and they don't find out until it's up on the ramp and in bits, they have to wait for right one to be sorted. Understandable, but i know they get most of thier swag from ECP, but i've checked ECP and all of the clutch kits they have listed for mk2 polo are 190mm. I'm fairly certain mine needs 180mm. That's what the Haynes says and that's what i've read on here. Will they get a different clutch kit if they call ECP or will they just get same 190mm as what i have seen? 

Basically, shall i pick up a, (sachs, LUK or Valeo,)180mm clutch kit and bung it in the boot so it's good to go?

I am planning on changing gearbox oil soon. Only thing i need is length of hose so i can fill it up once drained. Got gearbox oil and correct socket.

Thanks for the recommends.

Eviljohn

Can the starter bush be done same time as the clutch?

steveo3002

starter bush can be done with the gearbox on , but yeah ideal time to replace it when the box is out

make sure you remove and clean /regrease the clutch arm too...often gets ignored

Eviljohn

So does the gearbox AND clutch come off when the clutch is replaced or is the clutch just taken off of the gearbox and new one refitted?

I'm not gonna be doing it, i'm only getting one day off a week at this point and i normally have at least one child/liability when i am off so it's booked in next week in my local garage. 

Thanks for the heads up about the clutch arm. I'll be sure to bring that up.

steveo3002

gearbox completely removed from the car , the clutch is fitted to the end of the engine /crank ...unbolt/replace the clutch then gearbox refit

make sure the clutch is a 3 piece kit

Eviljohn

Good to know. Thanks. 

I haven't seen anything other than 3 piece at this point. 

mk2tastic

Would be interesting to see your old clutch plate and cover.Guess you could get the garage to keep the parts removed and get a photo or two of them before they are consigned to the bin.

I’d expect one side of the clutch plate to be worn out. What you don’t want to find is lack of wear and oil contamination of the linings, that opens up a whole new ball game(and costs).

Mind you, oil contamination usually manifests itself as clutch judder.

Edited by mk2tastic
Eviljohn

That's a good shout. I'll ask them to keep hold of it. I have nothing to say it isn't the clutch that it came out of the factory with so that would be interesting to see.

Eviljohn

Contacted ECP direct. They confirmed they don't stock 180mm clutch kit. 

Found a Sachs one for good price so i jumped on it! 

https://doctorcarparts.com/

Off to find starter bushing now. 

• 2 weeks later...
Eviljohn

All fitted today. Like a new car. It was the original clutch but the guy that worked on it, wasn't the guy i spoke to when i dropped it all in, so he got rid of it. 

Thanks for your guidance dudes and dudettes. 

• Like 1