Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Apologies for yet another 'whats that noise' post but after a long trip to Anglesey and back we noticed a definite 'click', 'clunk' noise that correlated with depressing the brake when in motion. I can't replicate it when stationary and it requires the servo running too. There doesn't appear to be any change to braking power and we still have all of our fluid so I'm not immediately worried, but its definitely appeared after a lot of use so could do with tracking down.

It sounded like it comes from the front so I had both front wheels off to have a look - nothing out of the ordinary. After a test drive just now I noticed you can't hear it without the passenger window open so I guess its on the nearside front or rear.

The click is metallic and the volume of it is correlated to how quickly the pedal is depressed and comes about at the same place in the pedal stroke.

Any suggestions to where I should be looking would be appreciated! Wondering if it couldn't be the carrier sticking or something related to those spring clips on the pads?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zob

• dvderlm

• mk2tastic

• Bread

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it’s a metallic click on braking or possibly heard going over speed humps, it’s likely the pads moving in the calipers. It’s worth checking that the anti rattle shims are fitted.

Could also be crud on the carrier rails where the pads slide, or a stuck slide pin or caliper.  Particularly if its been a long time since the last pad change.  If it's only recently started making a

Had a look and on the nearside they appear fine by visual inspection, more messy on the offside which doesn't appear to be the side the noise is from (if indeed there is a 'side'). Could be the carrier 'clicking' along its route?

On the off-chance I checked the nearside rear as another post mentioned some clicking from a pitted bearing race potentially from an incorrect tension from the rear hub nut. Had a poke and the thrust washer has the amount of lateral play (with a screwdriver) that haynes recommends.

• 2 weeks later...
mk2tastic

If it’s a metallic click on braking or possibly heard going over speed humps, it’s likely the pads moving in the calipers. It’s worth checking that the anti rattle shims are fitted.

• Like 1

Could also be crud on the carrier rails where the pads slide, or a stuck slide pin or caliper.  Particularly if its been a long time since the last pad change.  If it's only recently started making a noise then I'm hopeful you've caught it in time before something jams up more.

Worth checking the wheel bearings as you have done, usually a bad bearing would give continuous throbbing noise as well as/instead of clunks under braking.

Have you had the rear drums off to check inside them?  Worth a go as it can be very hard to diagnose position.  I once had a wheel bearing noise I swore was rear right, the noise was much louder in that location.... and it was actually front left, some weird acoustic reflection.  

• Like 1

Cheers guys

Drums look fine inside and the thrust washers are both done to that 'just tight' spec in Haynes, none of the usual bearing sounds from either. I replaced the pads and disks on the front in maybe February but I'll have a look whether the carrier rails or whether a rattle shim is in wrong.

The noise is definitely right at the start of the pedal stroke and you can avoid making it with a really gentle squeeze of the pedal, either way I think you're right that its the pads or the caliper moving over a sticky bit.

• 1 month later...

Finally got my hands on some new guide pins, bushes and boots for the front calipers. Installed those yesterday and no more clicking so far. The old ones were really stiff with grime in the nylon sleeves so i can only assume that was where the click was originating from. Everything else looked in order as well thankfully!