Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Derp's Loon

derpzila

Hello!

Been a while since I bothered to post on any car forum's or blog anything or really interact with the world online but thats another story , figured I'd stick a post on here and see what I get back.

Bought this little mk2 Saloon about 2 year ago and drove it 400 odd mile in the middle of the night with out really looking at it or knowing much about the car - was told some stuff about it which I allways take with a pinch of salt but this time turned out to be true - which is/was nice!1.thumb.jpg.e260dbab197c5a11fb9377629a25fbf8.jpg

First photo is what It looked like when I got it home. 

Was told, and now can confirm - 1.4 ABD engine, high lift cam, and GT injection set up with a 4 branch and chipped ECU to raise the rev limiter. 

Since I've had it Iv swapped out the shocks front and rear - rebuilt most the ignition system , replaced quite a bit of the wiring and most the sensors on it. Just had the passenger sill and rear arch replaced and have the drivers rear arch to do new. Ally rad and a few other odd's n sods like new roof lining, some sound deadening, exhaust parts and new (ish) black door cards all round. 

Edited by derpzila
Typo!
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• derpzila

• steveo3002

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

derpzila

That more or less brings me up to this point...

2.thumb.jpg.a150dc869d2c0456be3d202b68bc0033.jpg

I also painted it with graffiti paint because some one had keyed it and im a sadist. #redwingcrew

it now sports 15x7.5 steels all round. Little heavier but i could'nt care less tbh. 

Edited by derpzila
derpzila

I also did this to the back of it
4.thumb.jpg.44526d08573fd71efd75a5fe07ccc1b5.jpg3.thumb.jpg.1fd65933a4b5713947e4eecfda637665.jpg
Which I quite like and only cost me a few quid.

derpzila

I've faffed with alot of other things to please my self too like the steering wheel...5.thumb.jpg.510ad40180bcccc45f7358fa2254d708.jpg

derpzila

7.thumb.jpg.6f1458a20a72498d5562c7e64cc72c7e.jpgand "back box" - yes for the keen eye'd, its a cherry bomb and its bloody loud (soon to be custom 2" stainless system) 

Edited by derpzila
derpzila

6.thumb.jpg.a7e48f3a0f569c1e40733c9e7ff0d9de.jpgLooks worse than it is... - she's had a clean up since then, K&N and a few other things thrown at it.

Can't get the timing right though - I rebuilt the distributor as the hall sensor was failing (read as literally falling off!)
1st time i threw it back together at the same point i took it apart at an she wouldn't rev, then I timed it to what I think was TDC and it revved OK but was flat as anything, then, Assuming the TDC mark was correct I went left of it which as a guess is probably 7' and she'll rev but I seem to have a lack of torque and stuttering under 2k. 

I even went to the lengths of looking up the correct method for the GT with warming it up, disconnecting the temp sensor reving it 3 times and then holding i at 2500 rmp when setting the timing. Bit stumped unless the markers for timing are off. Feels too retarded to me if anything. Gets nice and warm but idles high and doesn't really want to pull much past 4k. 

On top of that i have a nasty feeling the box/diff is on its way out as its gotten awful loud of late, that or one of the front bearings/CV joints are about to explode. Both front bearings were new when I fitted the new struts.
That being said I only noticed this noise when I put a center box back in it to cut the sound down a bit so It might have allways been like this...and there is a lack of sound deadening in it anyway. Experience  of blowing 205 box's up and my gut tells me the diff is way out - unless some ones messed that as well...an I wouldn't have a clue what box is in it.  

I also drive like a complete asshole too so if you've seen me an iv sworn at you while spinning the tyres down the road don't take it personal, its just my nature to be a hoodlum! (probably why the diff is wrecked too!)

Edited by derpzila
steveo3002

is it deffo a mpi dizzy?

always had timing issues on my abd

Edited by steveo3002
derpzila
46 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

is it deffo a mpi dizzy?

always had timing issues on my abd

Yeah the windmill has the smaller slots on it - I ended up buying a new unit for a 6n and making a good one from mine and the new one as I couldn't find one with a body that fit in the correct orientation.
All new seals and rubbers, new hall sensor, cap and arm, has solved the cold miss fire start issue I had but proper timing still illudes me - think ill give it a few more degrees and see what drops off! 

Idles at about 1k atm, anything lower and it konks out, pulling away allways feels like you need to give it more beans till 2k. Either its retarded or I am

Edited by derpzila
derpzila

Well i solved the timing, seems alot happier at about 7'

Gave my self 2 other issues by way of a diff thats slowly eating away at the gearbox and ripping my exhaust off...watch this space....

derpzila

6n 2002 box , had to shave a linkage mount off, a small rib on the diff housing so the rear mount clears and swap the drivers side output shaft for the older type. Should be back on tomorrow. 

received_587136309406533.jpeg