Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

1998 6N Intermittent Indicator Fault

My 1998 6N Polo has recently developed an intermittent fault with the indicators and hazards.

I've seen other posts regarding indicators failing but hazards remaining functional, but I'm yet to find any describing my problem.

My car's indicators and hazards will suddenly stop working for anywhere between 5 seconds and 2 minutes.

Initially I thought it might be a switch issue, but then I found that the hazards also stopped working.

Being an intermittent issue I can't go through the usual diagnostic measures as I can't get the car to replicate the issue on command. Sometimes it will go a month between occurrences, other times only days.

Is this an issue anyone has dealt with? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jack

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBrown

• caretakerplus

• Yeti

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Intermittent faults can be a real pain to sort out, but as this seems to affect all of the indicator lamps, then the problem must be with something that is common to all of them.   One quite

caretakerplus

Intermittent faults can be a real pain to sort out, but as this seems to affect all of the indicator lamps, then the problem must be with something that is common to all of them.

One quite common problem on your model, is the main 'plate' fuses (these are small flat metal plates).

I'm not saying this IS the problem, but is well worth checking.

What happens, is that these fuses tend to crack - difficult to see a problem without removing the fuse, but then when you do remove it, you find it is in two halves, which can cause intermittent connections.

If the fuse id OK, there are two relays, one of which COULD be the culprit - the obvious one is the flasher relay, but the other is called the 'X' contact relay - You could check the connections on these, and (if you are 'fortunate' enough to get the fault to appear, try tapping the side of the relay to see if that makes it work.

Substituting the relay is probably the best way to check it, but that would mean obtaining another one and hoping it would cure the problem.

Regards

• Like 1

The first thing I'd do is see if the parking lights are affected when the faults happening just to eliminate a stalk fault. I don't think it's going to be one, but it's an easy check.

I'm not one for buying parts on the off chance, but if it's hazards and indicators. I'd personally fit a new flasher unit. When you take it out, check the socket for any signs of corrosion or overheating.