Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

OE Supplier of Radiator - Where to buy now - G40/GT - 867121253AB

mk2 polo power

Hi,

As per title.

Who is the OEM for Radiators - in-particular G40

Where is a good place to buy one now ?

Part no is: 867121253AB

And who else makes half decent rads?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mk2 polo power

• dvderlm

• nige8021

• steveo3002

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

id have no issue using nissens or valeo...they supply plenty of oem's    have you found the proper dual core one...i found many listed that their incorrect single core was for that car when

I think Autodoc's Behr Hella CR 408 000S also claims to be 867121253AB Should be 34mm depth?   There are even uprated rads like this, which is 50mm deep, but the fan cowling does not fi

Company is now owned by Mahle (of piston fame) and trades as Mahle Behr.  https://m.autodoc.co.uk/mahle-original/15294485   See here https://www.mahle.com/en/about-mahle/locations/

Posted Images

nige8021

I would try VW Heritage 

mk2 polo power
11 hours ago, dvderlm said:

OEM is Behr, of Stuttgart.

Founded 1905.

https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history/Al-Be/Behr-GmbH-Co-KG.html#:~:text=In 1905%2C 33-year-,cake tins for pastry shops.

Other suppliers of decent rads:

Valeo

Nissens

Part supplier chap on phone suggested Valeo was OEM

Another guy said it depends on who VW bought of from that month to year...doubt that comment.

Another guy said Nissens is likely best brand I could buy?

steveo3002

id have no issue using nissens or valeo...they supply plenty of oem's 

have you found the proper dual core one...i found many listed that their incorrect single core was for that car when its not  

• Like 1
mk2 polo power
5 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

id have no issue using nissens or valeo...they supply plenty of oem's 

have you found the proper dual core one...i found many listed that their incorrect single core was for that car when its not  

You are on the money - that is what I was interested in - finding the proper one that ends in 'AB' part number

Any GT or G40 owner should be interested to know the part...

dvderlm

I think Autodoc's Behr Hella CR 408 000S also claims to be 867121253AB

Should be 34mm depth?

There are even uprated rads like this, which is 50mm deep, but the fan cowling does not fit well.

https://www.maxrpm.de/Radiator-for-Polo-G40-MK3-86C-for-G60-turbo-conversions-with-higher-cooling-capacity-Made-of-aluminum-for-year-1986-1989

Valeo would very likely have supplied most Spanish built Polos, 1985 onwards

as closer factory.

Manufacturers tend to dual source (or more), in case of supply chain problems (eg strikes, natural disasters, currency fluctuations, even political upheaval), and to keep prices down. 

But I'm fairly sure the Mk2 G40 engine bay assembly work was done in Wolfsburg, Germany.

I talked with German engineers working on Projekt Prometheus using Polo's as the test bed for new engines at Frankfurt motor show in mid eighties.

I'm less sure whether Mk2f PY was Wolfsburg or Pamplona. 

• Like 1
mk2 polo power
2 hours ago, dvderlm said:

I think Autodoc's Behr Hella CR 408 000S also claims to be 867121253AB

Should be 34mm depth?

You got a link? - I couldn't see it...

mk2 polo power

I suppose it has to not be compatible with the 'L' version to know its the GT/G40 version...?

Edited by mk2 polo power
dvderlm

Check the dimensions. You can always easily fit a better rad in same width X height space if inlet/outlet and thermo switch hole, (maybe the mount points below) for rad match. The thermostat valve will open for shorter periods.

If it is only 26mm deep then it is for lower powered cars.

If it is 34mm deep it is for higher power and dual-cored.

Width is restricted to 430mm wide on PY because of the supercharger/alternator.

My 75hp GK engine shares radiator with Santana 32b 1.8 litre. 

It is 525mm wide 32mm deep.

A Nissens 651111 would be my replacement choice for my car

https://m.autopartspro.co.uk/nissens-1991079

Edited by dvderlm
dvderlm

Looks like Valeo has ribbed end tanks, not smooth like Behr.

image.png.237d35d279d58bab5f5d375e8c66e566.png

Are you trying to restore it look like from factory, or do you just want a rad with adequate cooling capability?

mk2 polo power
9 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Looks like Valeo has ribbed end tanks, not smooth like Behr.

Are you trying to restore it look like from factory, or do you just want a rad with adequate cooling capability?

I suppose both - mainly cooling capability and the ability to fit with the stock front cowling.
Which I found a modified alloy radiator doesn't...

Plus this topic may be useful for future readers.

The other item is radiator rear cowling and fan.
I am looking at slimline fans, but not sure if there is one that fits the stock 4 mounting bolts and plug. It creates space in the engine bay which is nice + finding a good condition stock cowling seems difficult too.

Edited by mk2 polo power
mk2 polo power
11 hours ago, dvderlm said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164733156001

is Mahle Behr 867121253M (or K or L or AB or P) and same dimensions, 430x322x34 for 1.3 catalytic convertor Polo (eg engine code 3F) or a 1.0 litre.

Thanks for the link - i've bought off Tshopslab before and got massively stung on the old import taxes

However that is looking like the closest OEM Rad - so will try to source elsewhere

(Engine Cooling Radiator BEHR Fits VW Polo 867121253M 8MK376714-661)