Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Hello I’m new here!!!!!!

Im having issues with my Mk2 Polo S 1989..

it turns over but will not start Don’t seem to have a spark from the king lead so changed the ignition coil and still no luck!!! This seems to have coincided with me changing the battery!!!! Strange

Fanks 

Ben

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bungy

• dvderlm

• steveo3002

• mk2tastic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UPDATE!!!   Thanks to you all, had a bit of time last weekend wiggled the wiring around and it fired up first time!!!!! 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Also found that the carb gasket had perished so am going to

dvderlm

Are you putting a sparkplug in the king lead and resting it on baremetal looking for the flash of sparks.

The king connector lead might be dodgy?

You could attach a jump lead to negative and hold the plug with that and rest it in the coil central hole and see if it sparks. 

Points or Hall sender?

steveo3002

iirc theres an earth ? from the tci unit direct to the battery...are you sure you didnt leave it off? 

14 minutes ago, dvderlm said:

Are you putting a sparkplug in the king lead and resting it on baremetal looking for the flash of sparks.

The king connector lead might be dodgy?

You could attach a jump lead to negative and hold the plug with that and rest it in the coil central hole and see if it sparks. 

Points or Hall sender?

Thanks for the reply,

No didn’t put a plug in!! I assumed it would spark I’m not very car savvy…  I’m now assuming the new ign coil will be fine and has a new king lead. So is there any other test things I can do?  Cheers Be 

13 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

iirc theres an earth ? from the tci unit direct to the battery...are you sure you didnt leave it off? 

I’m sure I put them all back on.. 

3 minutes ago, dvderlm said:

Back up a bit.

Why did you replace the battery?

I was having idle issues, so cleaned out the auxiliary jet on the carb this seemed to work but then bat would not hold charge and was leaking so assumed it needed replacing. 

dvderlm

Leaking battery acid? 

Really, that would eat wire insulation and paint.

Is the new battery holding charge (A voltmeter shows over 12volts with engine off).

As weather not freezing I'd suspect the alternator is not charging (regulator brush pack worn) or the fat lead from alternator is in poor condition.

How did you clean the carb jet? Did you dismantle the carburettor, or just spray carb cleaner / compressed air in?

mk2tastic

A Leaking battery is unusual to say the least, unless it’s been dropped or suffered some other form of external stress, for instance over tightening of the hold down bracket. Battery acid will take all the paint off too and over time rot metal/wiring, but a leak would see the battery become useless almost immediately as the electrolyte leaks out.

If the engine started before the battery change then check your battery connections. As already mentioned there is more than one wire connected to the positive terminal. 

I’d be tempted to go back to the beginning and put the original coil back on too, I can’t imagine it would have failed just by changing the battery.

Make sure you’ve connected the coil correctly in regard to the low tension terminals, + is marked 15 and  - is marked 1. The + should have two black wires on  separate terminals, the + also has two wires, a green wire and a red/black wire on a single plastic terminal block. It shouldn’t be possible to get them wrong unless there’s been some butchering of wires in the past and the plastic block has been removed.

If you’ve been working on the carb make sure the earth strap is connected between the carb and to the terminal on the cylinder head, otherwise the idle cut off valve with stop the engine starting(and idling)unless you are riding the accelerator pedal.

Edited by mk2tastic
2 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Back up a bit.

Why did you replace the battery?

I was having idle issues, so cleaned out the auxiliary jet on the carb this seemed to work but then bat would not hold charge and was leaking so assumed it needed replacing. 

1 hour ago, mk2tastic said:

A Leaking battery is unusual to say the least, unless it’s been dropped or suffered some other form of external stress, for instance over tightening of the hold down bracket. Battery acid will take all the paint off too and over time rot metal/wiring, but a leak would see the battery become useless almost immediately as the electrolyte leaks out.

If the engine started before the battery change then check your battery connections. As already mentioned there is more than one wire connected to the positive terminal. 

I’d be tempted to go back to the beginning and put the original coil back on too, I can’t imagine it would have failed just by changing the battery.

Make sure you’ve connected the coil correctly in regard to the low tension terminals, + is marked 15 and  - is marked 1. The + should have two black wires on  separate terminals, the + also has two wires, a green wire and a red/black wire on a single plastic terminal block. It shouldn’t be possible to get them wrong unless there’s been some butchering of wires in the past and the plastic block has been removed.

If you’ve been working on the carb make sure the earth strap is connected between the carb and to the terminal on the cylinder head, otherwise the idle cut off valve with stop the engine starting(and idling)unless you are riding the accelerator pedal.

Hello,

When I had taken the battery out and put in my garage it was defo leaking something didn’t see anything in battery tray mind you.. I will double check what you have both said (dvderlm) thank you both for your time.

Ben

On 30/10/2021 at 13:55, mk2tastic said:

Did you manage to sort the non-starting issue?

No not yet.. I haven’t had any time last few weeks.. been flat out keen to get sometime this weekend..

So finally had a chance to check for sparks etc!!! Nothing from the king lead I reconnected old ignition coil and nothing..checked wiring to battery all seems ok definitely getting fuel!!! Anything else I could try?The  help is really appreciated thanks 

Ben

steveo3002

check theres power to the coil when ign on...will need a meter or test light

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!!

Thanks to you all, had a bit of time last weekend wiggled the wiring around and it fired up first time!!!!! 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Also found that the carb gasket had perished so am going to change soon as I can grab some time.. 

Thanks Again..

Ben

• Love it 1