To improve security of our users, we have changed the way you sign in. From today, you will need to use your EMAIL ADDRESS, and not your 'display name'. ×
Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
To improve security of our users, we have changed the way you sign in. From today, you will need to use your EMAIL ADDRESS, and not your 'display name'.

Lockup break in

dvderlm

The lockup I've been using for car work was broken into last night.

Bolt cutters were used on outer doors, the hasp and staple fitted with a hardened padlock. Nearby unit's none-hardened padlock was also cut.

Think they must have been disturbed as nothing was taken, no tools or toolboxes, not the welder, or my friend's compressor, not even a chainsaw in plain sight. Maybe they don't understand the value of a Polo fuel tank and a used metric socket set.

I've brought my MIG welder home just in case they try again.

Any thoughts on how to protect it?

We have a unit in the middle of nowhere that would be fairly easy to break into. It's not a great solution, but we just leave nothing in there of value. Random hand tools go in a site safe / tool vault like they use on building sites which is bolted to the concrete floor. Hopefully anyone who breaks in will waste a load of time breaking those open to find a load of junk and not bother trying to get a vehicle out.

If they want to get in, they'll get in. You can pretty much take any padlock off in a minute with basic tools. If you've got a vehicle door and a personnel door, make it so the vehicle door only opens from inside, then go to town with security on the personnel door. 

Other than that, I used to have a burglar alarm with a SIM card in at my old office, it was ok for the £70? it was off ebay. The PIR's were crap, but it had a few channels for door open sensors. 

Ta, we sometimes park an old van in front of the big doors (when we can start it).

Any point having a camera or security light?

I'd say not unless there's someone there to see it at the time. All a CCTV playback is going to show you is a few lads in hoodies getting out of a transit with fake numberplates on. 

• Like 1

Or the other way of looking at it is professional thieves have confirmed you don't own anything with stealing 😬

Yeah maybe, or too awkward and heavy to carry.

A pink Vespa under a blanket in a nearby forcibly opened unit was also untouched.

But there's some disagreement whether it is fugly or cute among those of us who have seen it, so I can only imagine the thieves having the same discussion.

All tools and equipment at a house being renovated nearby were taken on the same night. Perhaps they had a van full.

I've got a hardened hasp to fit and landlord is looking at better lock for the big doors and camera/alarm.

The best thing to do with the main doors is chain them shut from the inside. Pretty much any padlock can be taken off in a minute with a big pair of stilsons and a length of pipe, the only real exception is one that's surrounded by some decent metalwork. 

They were probably looking to steal oxy acetalene cutting equipment to use to hit a bigger value target. Mates workshop was broken into and that's all they took. Couple of days later police had tracked him down through BOC as his kit was used for a break in at a warehouse and abandoned

Ah, that's interesting. There's actually a second hand plasma cutter with a broken torch in one dark corner.

Not very portable though as mains powered.