Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

MK2 expansion tank swap

HeckOfASteil

Hi, does anyone know if you can swap the old style expansion tank (867121407) for the newer circular / spherical style of tank like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Expansion-tank-for-radiator-without-sensor-for-SEAT-VW-357121407B-/143653885807?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Mine is cracked on one of the corners where the bolt is. It still holds coolant fine but I'm thinking it would be good to replace but since you can get the part new I wondered if using this other type would be possible? 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steveo3002

• HeckOfASteil

• dvderlm

• Yeti

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yeah its what i will do    the bracket is avail new , worst case a foot of hose and an andaptor...not even sure its needed but those hoses do vary over the years 

I've had 2f ones on early mk2's before, worked fine, I think I used the hose off a mk2f tank, but this is going back about 15 years. 

steveo3002

got a feeling the bigger hose might be different dia , and the mk2f bracket would need adding 

not a bad idea as the mk2 tanks arent available ?  

HeckOfASteil

Yeah I can't find an unused one anywhere and suspect they would be silly money if could track one down. I may as well stick with my existing slightly cracked one rather than buy a used one as they all must be getting on a bit. 

I might get one of these round ones at some point and turn it into a little project if I can fit to my car. If its just a case of changing the hose or finding a size adapter and making up a bracket I can probably manage that! 

steveo3002

yeah its what i will do 

the bracket is avail new , worst case a foot of hose and an andaptor...not even sure its needed but those hoses do vary over the years 

• Like 1
dvderlm

I wondered about a Golf/Passat 171121407F square expansion tank and attach it to suspension tower not bulkhead as it is rotated 90 degrees.

(I have a level sender, so would like to retain that, there's a recess to cut the hole if required)

I've had 2f ones on early mk2's before, worked fine, I think I used the hose off a mk2f tank, but this is going back about 15 years. 

• Like 1
dvderlm

Yeah, the Golf/Passat 171121407F square expansion tank main hose placement might foul the windscreen washer bottle below.