danny_dub

German Style Number Plates

Bootabmx

I got pulled near Manc Airport the other day, his reason was 'basically, your cars on it's arse, is it meant to be that way?!' Then proceeded to check around the whole car, I was all legal but I have the D band pressed plates, He asked 'whats the deal with that?' and I admitted I thought they wern't 100% legal and lied through my arse about not seeing them on another car before and not having the V5 back yet.

Turns out he was a decent fella and ended up talking about ICE at the side of the M56 haha.

But, I've had idiot power hungry cops who pulled me for going too slow on a duel carriageway in thick snow %$%&!!!, Guarentee he would of took me for all I was worth If I had the plates on then.

Scott_GT

When me and my mate got pulled for our plate, the police was more concernd about how the plates wernt as reflective as standard plates, they are reflective but not as much, which is the main reason i think there iligal.

Guest sketchead

Just to clarify, the plates which have the "Autostadt" surround aren't illegal? I am buying a car which has them on. The font is still the same and they look pretty much identical to normal plates, just have a nice Autostadt surround.

Cymro

Think it also depends a lot on what the numbers and letters on your plate are. Mine look normalish even in german font.

DSCF9412.jpg

the only real diffrences are the little flicks on the 1 & J and the slant on the 6 as you can see on the loop with UK font pressed plates

Also the stickers that fit in the space are not a good idea as it makes it too obvious.

Edited by Cymro

g40dabbsy

pressed metal german plates are ilegal as the lettering is not the right font and sometiles the spaceing can be wrong

your looking at £30 fine and a fixit noteice

or if you get a grumpy copper £60 fine £30 each

or could end up getting points and end up in court

Cymro

TBH the German font is easily as readable as the British one, its just that the ANPR cameras cant read them (apparently).

Thing is if you chose to run them then so be it and face the consequences if your caught, but so many people run them get caught and then post up on here complaining about it.

If i get caught then it will be, ye ok, thank you officer. and put the plastic ones back on. theres no point arguing with them or moaning about it, ill be the one in the wrong, hes only doing his job.

Edited by Cymro

Guest DubSingh-Dhali
Thing is if you chose to run them then so be it and face the consequences if your caught, but so many people run them get caught and then post up on here complaining about it.

If i get caught then it will be, ye ok, thank you officer. and put the plastic ones back on. theres no point arguing with them or moaning about it, ill be the one in the wrong, hes only doing his job.

Defo agree with you mate.

I can't stand it when people have a bitch about getting fined for running them. I run mine fully aware of the consequences if I get stopped.

All depends on the cop tbh. Some dont care aslong as it isn't too obvious, some will be grumpy old so and so's and just give you a fine or possible points.

As you say just say thank you and put the plastic ones back on after.

:thumbsup:

batmanman
TBH the German font is easily as readable as the British one, its just that the ANPR cameras cant read them (apparently).

I install anpr camera's, and they can read german plates no problem, as well as (some) italic font plates.. they can make out pretty much any plates.. they use the same anpr camera's in germany as they do in britain, so why wouldnt they be able to?

My plates are plastic but pressed, they are reflective and i've never been pulled for them, i dont really see the problem with them (i realise it's not up to me but still).

6npolose

Hi guys just been ready this tread , german plates are illgal i was fine £30 for having them on my mk2 golf gti lol but there is an answer now dudes . when i was at ud this year there was a company the called EUROPL8 and they are making 100% legal pressed plates with GB on instead of the D . theysay there legal and have been tested to bsau145d standards . check it out for your self at www.europl8.com . you never know guys , no more £30 fine and the fuzz can do fook all about it . LOL . Dave :-D :-D :-D

beddin1990

Hi dude. of got german plates with the D band lol and faint VW signs in the background. i know they are defo illigal but coppers round our end are absolute muppets as they have nothing better to do than pull over young lads but have had them sitting behind me on numerous occasions and havnt been pulled. risk it lol looks really tidy.

ad

Samuel Cole

I have pressed german plates with a hash in a '0' and its a stick on plate. cops round my end have nothing else better to do so when (dare i say it) sat in a car park at 11pm with a few mates they turn up in a wagon and start checking all the cars :S they were smelling the inside of the car and everything! he then drags me out and stands me infornt of my loon and goes if you can give me 5 reasons why that plate is illegal i will let you off the fine.. i just went urmmm i dont know they were on there when i bought the car and he seemed to lay off a bit? then expalin to me 100 reasons why it was wrong!

pressed plate

german styled lettering

hash on '0'

black outline on plate

cant be read by some sort of camera

hasnt got the garage where it was issued on

'D' badged

wrong colour yellow at front

not screwed on but stick on

has a really faint octagon patern on

and it went on...

in all fareness they look relatively normal other than the hash and the D band, was thinking about getting a gb band but the rest is still 'illegal' so cant see the point.

been followed round town loads by police and never get stopped for it but i think the time they will say something about it is if your kevin' around speeding or somehing then they can list the stuf thats wrong with you car :S

i do run the risk of having them on because i think it makes the car but thats my choice and i think its important you realsise you could get done for it... but it think it depends on what you've been doing for them to tugg you, dont think they would pull you just for plates?

Sam.

harris.racing

They have every right to pull you for illegal plates.

Half of them things like how they're attached is shit, but at the end of that day you've clearly fitted something illegal to your car, you literally have no argument

twitch4685

when i first got my loon it had D pressed plates. About a week of having it I was pulled over.

Cruising along the motroway around 65 and a traffic cop pulls me over.

He comes along side the car and asks if he can see my German drivers licence. I looked at him and told him I didn't know what he meant. He raised his voice and said 'Can I seee yourrr GERMAN driverss license,,, pleasee' I told him that he would have to spell it out for me because I had no idea what he was talking about.

(all along I knew it was about the plates as somebody on another forum had mentioned they were illegal, I thought I would just play along as he thought he was being a funny dick)

He then said that he was asking to see my german drivers licence because I had a german number plate.

Told him I didn't realise and only had the car a week, and with a yes sir, no sir, ok sir I was on my way after him telling me that it is an offence and I could have got a fine but he would let me off because I only just got the car.

Duey

black outline on plate

not screwed on but stick on

As far as I knew, neither of the above are illegal

All the plates i've ever had (all normal legal UK plastic ones) have had black borders (hellfrauds even offer it as an option on the plates)

not screwed on but stick on - who cares how they're stuck on as long as it's the right plate for the car, the front one is on the front, the back one is on the back and it's not upside down - my current plates are stuck on - how do the secure-plates work... oh wait, they're stick on too...

http://www.secureplate.com/what.html

dont think they would pull you just for plates?

they can stop any car on the road that they want to, you don't have had done something wrong for them to pull you - they can pull you because your car is silver and they don't like silver cars, if they want to.

dadude01

They certainly can read them, my friend got pulled in sheffield in his coupe a couple of years back for no insurance (trades insurance didnt show up although it was there when they rang the company) , we asked about how they knew (had no idea about ANPR) and they explained the camera read the plate and it came up on screen, my mate asked if the plates where okay and they said it was fine and we went on our way :) ..... a week later, parked up in tesco in chesterfield the local nice person PC Hussain came over and started running his mouth about the plates and gave my mate a producer.

all in all, its pot luck on what the individual officer thinks. same as issues like scrubbing, poke, plate location, tints, HIDs...... its all based on oppinion

so to conclude, buy the pressed plates, in german font with a D.... also buy some plate holders and just put on the german plates for shows and photos :)

Koop

pressed plate - WRONG - watch out for this a guy on club lupo got fined with the europl8 ones, some coppers think ALL pressed plates are illegal. They are WRONG;

german styled lettering - CORRECT;

hash on '0' - CORRECT (this is the same point as the above really, the hash is part of the german font);

black outline on plate - WRONG - a non-reflective border is permissible by DVLA regs;

cant be read by some sort of camera - MEH - there's no specific law about this, it'll be the different font that makes it unreadable; [edit, ok, looking at the above post this is probably complete bollocks after all :lol:]

hasnt got the garage where it was issued on - CORRECT - it should have the postcode;

'D' badged - CORRECT - Euro GB or British, English, Welsh or Scottish flags ONLY;

wrong colour yellow at front - WRONG - basically, lol;

not screwed on but stick on - WRONG - basically, rofl;

has a really faint octagon patern on - WRONG - so long as it's yellow or white & reflective it's fine. Suspect this octagon pattern is for reflectiveness so I fail to see the beef.

Know the law kids and don't take any shit from under-informed plods. German plates are illegal though, keep 'em for shows, duh.

I should also mention the europl8 ebay specials are technically issued illegally as they don't check your documents, though the plates themselves do meet the regs. The only legal mail order pressed plates I know of are Dubmeister as you have to send off your docs.

Edited by Koop

chipsandgravy

They certainly can read them, my friend got pulled in sheffield in his coupe a couple of years back for no insurance (trades insurance didnt show up although it was there when they rang the company) , we asked about how they knew (had no idea about ANPR) and they explained the camera read the plate and it came up on screen, my mate asked if the plates where okay and they said it was fine and we went on our way :) ..... a week later, parked up in tesco in chesterfield the local nice person PC Hussain came over and started running his mouth about the plates and gave my mate a producer.

all in all, its pot luck on what the individual officer thinks. same as issues like scrubbing, poke, plate location, tints, HIDs...... its all based on oppinion

so to conclude, buy the pressed plates, in german font with a D.... also buy some plate holders and just put on the german plates for shows and photos :)

I'm sure i heard somewhere that if you get flashed by a speed camera with pressed/german plates on, then the fine is increased. Something to do with the system being able to automatically recognise a regular UK plate and send you out a notification in the post. Whereas if the system doesn't recognise it then someone has to "manually" do it, by verifying the reg from the pic and then sending you the notification. Extra £30 on top of the fine if i remember rightly.

dadude01

I'm sure i heard somewhere that if you get flashed by a speed camera with pressed/german plates on, then the fine is increased. Something to do with the system being able to automatically recognise a regular UK plate and send you out a notification in the post. Whereas if the system doesn't recognise it then someone has to "manually" do it, by verifying the reg from the pic and then sending you the notification. Extra £30 on top of the fine if i remember rightly.

well if thats the case your an idiot for speeding through a speed camera :p

K03

jeeeezzz.....another 'german plate' thread :lol:

running german plates is like handling chillies and not washing your hands. youre gonna get burnt at somepoint, when is anyones guess ;)

I've run mine for 4yrs without any issues but I'm ready none the less if i do.

harris.racing

I don't even see the point, some police see stopping people speeding as more as a priority over illegal plates, but none the less you have something which is clearly illegal on your car, don't understand ANYONE trying to argue it tbh.

Even if they are reflective and can be read by ANPR they're still illegal to the UK law for UK plates on a UK car, so why these threads really lol?!