Skip to content

Mk4 Polo 1.6 Auto gearbox oil grade?

Featured Replies

Hi,

I am looking to get my gearbox oil and filter changed, I can't seem to find the grade of oil anywhere? However VW want to charge me just over £70 for the oil alone! They have refused to tell me the grade as 'I need to buy it from them'.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the grade of oil is? Or if they can put me in touch with someone that is actually helpful?

Thanks,

Rhys

  • Replies 3
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it that you are talking automatic here?

As far as I am aware, VW don't actually list changing the oil on any of their services. However, if you have got or had a fluid leak, then you obviously need to top up after the leak is cured.

It isn't a straightforward job on the automatic. First of all, it is totally impossible to drain the torque converter without removing it from the engine, then there is the problem of measuring the temperature at the point when the oil is changed, even if you were able to do this, you would still need the information on the calculations required.

So, if it aint leaking and it works OK, just leave it to look after itself.

Regards.

I've just spotted that you did in fact state auto on your introduction.

The grade was originally VW ATF G 052 990 A2 but this may have changed. (As per Haynes Manual.)

Edited by caretakerplus

Dexron 2? You will also need to change the filter/strainer and a new deal. Vw don't list a change interval because it will eventually fail and they would much prefer you to buy a new car then to have the oil changed. On my merc they recommend you change the fluid twice a story cant drain the torque converter either. So drain it and run new fluid through then change the strainer and fill with new fluid again. I'm not sure if there is a dip stick or not but you may also have to get one from vw or eBay etc.

It will make a difference when changed as the fluid is most probably at least 10 years old now. Also a close friend who reconditions gearboxes told me that if people regularly changed the fluid the seals inside wouldn't fail and he wouls be out of business.

HTH

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

Thank you both for giving me such detailed information, I am currently in talks with the master machinic at my local vw dealership, it looks like it will turn out to be a much more complex process than I had originally planned for! However I will be using a friend of mine to do all the work who has had over 25+ with Saab.

Thanks again to both of you!

Cheers,

Rhys

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.