Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Club Polo Rolling Road Day - Saturday 6th April 2019

Mclovin

From your post I'd say the polo show would be much more your sort of thing. A rolling road day is never gonna be much more than a morning at the RR and a pub lunch. There did used to be an unofficial night out afterwards which I never went to but friends have and said it was a good laugh. 

As for people being strangers, they were to everyone else too until they went to an event and met them. 

People don't really log into the forums anymore which is a big part of the problem. The club has 2 choices, try and get them to log in again, or go to them on social media. Going to them on social media is the much easier route for a club who's forum is all but dead these days. Reviving a dead forum is next to impossible these days. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvderlm

• Mclovin

• jonPDpolo

• kwijibo_coupe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Guy. I'll be taking on board with what has been said along with Saint. I'm going to try and find ways of incorporating Insta on the forums and bring the social media over to the platform to mak

It's time to see if all your engine mods have worked, see how much BHP/Torque you've gained or lost !!  Due to popular demand, we've moved from our traditional end of January/start of February date to

1. Yeti (slowda fabia) - member 2. dvderlm (polo sp) - member 3. Kwijibo_coupe (mk2 Saloon) - member 4. philpheasant (Skoda Fun) - Member 5. FREE 6.  Ross36 (P

Posted Images

kwijibo_coupe

This was started as an "event" on Facebook way back in 2018. 

I along with others did numerous posts sharing it on our page, group and ALL the other Polo groups in Facebook. 

I asked all staff at the time to like and comment on each one, which they did, to keep the posts alive. 

If people didn't see them, I have no idea why. 

It's been featured on here for a good 6 months so anyone that logs in will have known about it. 

Now one thing I have noticed and is making me a little sceptical is I keep seeing Facebook trying to get me to "promote" events.....for a cost. A f**king expensive cost too. Now, would it be reasonable to assume Facebook are deliberately hiding our even posts in order to make us pay for promotion? I wouldn't put it past them. But the club makes £0 from the RR day and £0 from the Social so it really isn't in our best interests financially to do this. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mclovin said:

From your post I'd say the polo show would be much more your sort of thing. A rolling road day is never gonna be much more than a morning at the RR and a pub lunch. There did used to be an unofficial night out afterwards which I never went to but friends have and said it was a good laugh. 

As for people being strangers, they were to everyone else too until they went to an event and met them. 

People don't really log into the forums anymore which is a big part of the problem. The club has 2 choices, try and get them to log in again, or go to them on social media. Going to them on social media is the much easier route for a club who's forum is all but dead these days. Reviving a dead forum is next to impossible these days. 

Thanks Guy. I'll be taking on board with what has been said along with Saint. I'm going to try and find ways of incorporating Insta on the forums and bring the social media over to the platform to make it more prominent. The community software is limited to what can be done with social media. I've already setup the API's so people can login with FB and Twitter. I'll try to have some brain waves and see what I can do.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
Mclovin
On 11/04/2019 at 09:04, kwijibo_coupe said:

I along with others did numerous posts sharing it on our page, group and ALL the other Polo groups in Facebook. 

I asked all staff at the time to like and comment on each one, which they did, to keep the posts alive. 

It's been featured on here for a good 6 months so anyone that logs in will have known about it. 

Now one thing I have noticed and is making me a little sceptical is I keep seeing Facebook trying to get me to "promote" events.....for a cost. A f**king expensive cost too. Now, would it be reasonable to assume Facebook are deliberately hiding our even posts in order to make us pay for promotion? I wouldn't put it past them. But the club makes £0 from the RR day and £0 from the Social so it really isn't in our best interests financially to do this. 

I'd say that it very much would be in the club's interest to pay to promote the events, especially the social at the very least. It may not bring in any money from the actual event, but as a promotional tool for the club? The more popular the event, the more potential paying members you get. Red bull don't earn anything from the big ass events they put on either, but they pay large sums to get people flying planes through hoops and shit because they know the importance of getting the brand out there. Have you looked into the cost of promoting it on other SM sites? Maybe insta would be more cost effective than FB? 

Again, the RR being featured on a forum that very few people log into is pretty much irrelevant as far as advertising the event goes. 

I can't comment on how visible the event was on fb as I'm not on there, but others I've talked to about it said they barely saw anything about it on there. 

• Like 1
mbusby993
On 11/04/2019 at 09:04, kwijibo_coupe said:

Facebook 100% throttle posts in order to force people to pay for promotion. It happens all the time with my friends business posts. Having said that though, I did see a handful of posts in the run up which reminded me about it, hence why I brought the E36 along. It was a disappointing turnout though. The flipsife to social media being accessible is it allows everyone an opinion, but when it actually comes down to pulling through and showing up to an event, they just don't bother. It's hard work getting anyone to actually do anything these days. 

At a club rolling road day, 5 cars ran and only two of them were Polo's? At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much you spam the posts, it's hard work forcing anyone to come to something. 

Thanks for the photos though, Nige. I'll be stealing those. ✌️

• Like 1
nige8021

Data from FB does show the posts were seen by a lot of people 

831181802_WhatsAppImage2019-04-21at14_36_58.thumb.jpeg.08b01127e5ea7f5e9d8c000fc21f7aa9.jpeg

kwijibo_coupe

After this I did do a test and threw some money at Facebook to promote the social. 

Over the two days we had paid promotion we did get more liked and more people say they would go. 

Considering we have shared it on Facebook numerous times and not had such a big response as quickly, I'd say 100% Facebook are throttling posts in order to create revenue. 

How we move forward from this I don't know, I will discuss with the rest of the staff and hopefully come up with a solution. 

kiran_182

Hard to say,

people are busy but its nice to have a gathering. How about an agreed price with the rolling road for club polo memebers who can book in at anytime and ge the discount price and a pic a and record taken thats also sent to the mods or the RR have their own account and page where they can post members visits regardless of car along with their own stuff

Have a RR and socail part to the memebership letter / renewal 

Let people visit on their own for a year and build up sone results and then start asking about a RR day

• 3 weeks later...
mad-dean
On 06/04/2019 at 13:35, dvderlm said:

Sorry did not get further than about 10 miles from home this morning, running lean and losing power.  Engine dying at roundabouts though up to temp. Lost a screwdriver after second stop to adjust mixture screws. Made it back home, definitely getting fuel into carb well, goes not bad at full pelt. done a compression test and  its 15+ bar across all cylinders so I'm mystified.    

Have you tried ignition leads and plugs, maybe something sticking on the carb even though it's fuelling, what about coolant temp sensor

dvderlm
12 hours ago, mad-dean said:

Have you tried ignition leads and plugs, maybe something sticking on the carb even though it's fuelling, what about coolant temp sensor

Thanks. Twin carbs. Going to try new plugs today, maybe they are carbon fouled. Since there's no temperature compensation with carbs the single  temp sensor in thermostat housing  just moves the temp needle in the dash. For cold start it's just me pulling on the "choke" cable. But I have been doing that more and for longer as my (mains powered) engine preheater is not working.

dvderlm

Some mr. muscle oven cleaner, water and chef's mini  blowtorch later

WIN_20190511_10_51_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.0c2d0e452820f3c05ce4d198fb426e2d.jpg

Hopefully got all the carbon out.

• 3 weeks later...