Skip to content

What to do with my 2001 Polo SDI 6N2?

Featured Replies

Hi Vdub folks,

I've owned my 2001 Polo SDI 6N2 for 20 years, but the body has reached the point where it needs a resto. Wheel arches and sills are the issue. Car is original, other than alloy wheels. SDI  engine and g/box were well maintained (and slick 50'd) and run well despite 220k miles. I have a replacement RH swivel axle to fit. Problem is I just don't have time to do the resto work. But it seems a shame to scrap what has been a very reliable car.

What to do?

Martin

  • Replies 2
  • Views 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always a difficult one. The long and short of it is whatever you do to the car isn't going to make economic sense. With rust and high mileage, no one's going to give you more than scrap money for it. The one you've got to square off is whether the car means more to you on a personal level than the cost/effort of the repairs.

We put a lot of time and money into a 2000 fabia a few years ago, it was worth nothing, it's still worth nothing, but there was a personal reason for it, so it made sense.

If you did want to find a way to try to economically justify it to yourself, you could always factor in £2 a litre vs the 70mpg that it probably gets. That's my reason for driving a shitty old Seat Cordoba.

Edited by Yeti

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks, Yeti.

Once bodywork gets bad then it doesn't make economic sense to put it back on the road. If I had a barn to hide it in for now, but I don't. So I've decided I'm going to try and do some good with it instead:
https://www.giveacar.co.uk/

Truthfully it's just a car, but it was good work horse...

Martin

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.