Tav

Polo GT Project

Del

NIGGELS!

Tav

I went to Thistle Couriers to pick up my PSD 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold today. For some reason or another the courier didn't manage to deliver the package so I drove across the city (and back in rush hour traffic) to save them the bother. I just wanted to get it in my hands to see what it was like....and it's good, real good.

psdexhaust03.jpg

psdexhaust02.jpg

psdexhaust01.jpg

More info on my Club Polo Blog. Great website feature and well worth a look, some people have some really good projects going: http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?...;blogid=16&

Edited by Tav

Tav

First day working on the car. We fitted a Corrado/Golf VR6 steering wheel. It is the same size as the original Polo item but a better colour match for the black interior:

steeringwheel.jpg

Here is a good picture of it when it was fitted to Del's G40, £5 from the breakers:

301006_03.jpg

We also fixed the washer jets and fitted that all important magic tree....it's bubble gum scent...and yes it is pink. It was a tough choice between this and the sour apple scent...I might try that next time:

magictreewipers.jpg

Edited by Tav

LregG

Nice find tav, now the magic tree is sorted the next item on any new mk3 owners list should be the all important task of strengthening the n/s chassis leg.

Forget about waiting for the G40 engine to go in, the 60/40 kit alone could and has been known to kill a chassis leg which will leave you with a pretty looking, nice smelling, useless polo.

IMAGE_249.jpg

It's a simple mod but yet very effective. I was running 195/45/13's on rock hard 60/40 suspension with 170+bhp for a fair while with no signs of any fractures/cracking/fatigue on the chassis leg so i can't recommend doing this enough

Gregg

EDIT: The PSD 4 branch is worth it's weight in gold, mine is finding it's way onto the mk1 lol

Edited by LregG

Mister D
Forget about waiting for the G40 engine to go in, the 60/40 kit alone could and has been known to kill a chassis leg which will leave you with a pretty looking, nice smelling, useless polo.

agreed, I have had two Polo's both with lowered supension split at the chassis leg

genesisGT

that looked like a good car tav. if its the one from cumbria. like the plans! 8-)

your going to have to drive it well now make use off all those addons :unibrow: . not potter about like a grandpa :-D

youngdub

nice!!!!!!!!

Guest GTdave

plans sound good. on the whole keeping it black theme I've just noticed how green the clocks look in a mk3 (and I've had 4 of them! how ignorant).

what about spraying them black to go with everything else?

if not i might have to try it myself if i ever get another.

good luck with it all :-D

Tav
that looked like a good car tav. if its the one from cumbria. like the plans! 8-)

your going to have to drive it well now make use off all those addons :unibrow: . not potter about like a grandpa :-D

Drive it properly...I can tell you don't know be that well :lol: Del lives about 2miles from me....took me 22 miles to get home tonight :-D Focus was spot on for the unclassified roads this evening, really stable and was tucking in well.

Steering wheel is a temp. modification before making way for a suede race item with appropriate hub and perhaps spacer. I can't get comfy in the Polo. To have the correct reach I need the seat too far forward. Hopefully moving the seat back and spacing the steering wheel closer will make the car easier to drive.

Currently trying to choose between Sparco, OMP and Momo.

plans sound good. on the whole keeping it black theme I've just noticed how green the clocks look in a mk3 (and I've had 4 of them! how ignorant).

what about spraying them black to go with everything else?

if not i might have to try it myself if i ever get another.

good luck with it all :-D

You'll see the clocks on the G40 there have been sprayed black, very good mod.

Nice find tav, now the magic tree is sorted the next item on any new mk3 owners list should be the all important task of strengthening the n/s chassis leg.

It's a simple mod but yet very effective. I was running 195/45/13's on rock hard 60/40 suspension with 170+bhp for a fair while with no signs of any fractures/cracking/fatigue on the chassis leg so i can't recommend doing this enough

Gregg

EDIT: The PSD 4 branch is worth it's weight in gold, mine is finding it's way onto the mk1 lol

I appreciate the concern Gregg but I don't think I could make a good job of it with the GT engine in situe and I really don't want to remove it and re-fit it. Did you gusset/stregthen yours where it meets the firewall?

Edited by Tav

LregG
I appreciate the concern Gregg but I don't think I could make a good job of it with the GT engine in situe and I really don't want to remove it and re-fit it. Did you gusset/stregthen yours where it meets the firewall?

No mate, just where you see the piece that my mate is holding up in the n/s/f chassis leg gap. The engine was in when it was welded. You just need to get the car nice and high, make a circular piece of pipe to fit in the contours of the gap and weld it in, underseal it and job's a good'n.

A couple of polo nuts commented on how solid the front end felt when they were in the car and i definately noticed an improvement

Edited by LregG

Ross

Tav.. might be worth speaking to Andy or Goof etc and see if they could help with the welding.

Edited by Ross

Tav

No mate, just where you see the piece that my mate is holding up in the n/s/f chassis leg gap. The engine was in when it was welded. You just need to get the car nice and high, make a circular piece of pipe to fit in the contours of the gap and weld it in, underseal it and job's a good'n.

A couple of polo nuts commented on how solid the front end felt when they were in the car and i definately noticed an improvement

Ahhh ok, I was assuming you were speaking about strengthening where legs meets body...I thought that is where they often crack?

I'm game for trying your mod if it produces favourable results...I'll look into it.

LregG

Although the crack appears closer to the body end of the chassis leg, the probable cause is from the lateral twist occuring on the front end side of the chassis leg from the anti-roll bar/front gearbox mount due to the gap in the chassis leg. Brace that gap and the lateral twist is greatly reduced therefore illiminating the chances of metal fatigue further down the chassis leg.

Tav

Well I was originally going to fit 185/50 R14 Yokohama A539's to the car. I had a change of heart when I saw how much money I could save buying a set of Toyo T1-R's in the more common 195/45 R14 size...so...I cancelled the Demon Tweeks order and bought a set of Toyos from Camskill. £60 better off and still getting a good set of road tyres.

I recieved a text message on my phone this morning letting me know they were due to arrive in the afternoon and sure enough they appeared at 16:00. Most pleased!

toyotyres.jpg

As always progress is updated in my blog...so check that section out, it's good!

Edited by Tav

Guest walshc

Yeah camskill are great, i got the same tyres from them, cheapest I've found too :thumbsup:

LMAO that airfreshners face expression is as if its just been shot up the ass by the washer jet :oops:

Guest Dub James

Wtf..I didn't know you could get bubblegum scent..screw new car scent I want bubblegum now..

Tav

You get apple too...I spent 30 mins deciding which one to get...

Tav

Blog 06: New Steering Wheel

It turns out that despite driving Mk3 Polo's on numerous occasions I've never really noticed that the driving position isn't totally suited to my build.

I find that to achieve a good reach/grip of the steering wheel I need to have the seat too far forward for my legs, making it difficult to manipulate the pedals comfortably. I'm not sure if I have long legs, or short arms?

Of course being a Mk3 Polo there isn't the benefit of an adjustable steering wheel. It's one of the redeeming features of the Mk2 Focus I have been driving for the last year. In an attempt to rectify this issue I have purchased an OMP Velcoita Steering Wheel (350mm + Black Suede) and OMP Boss. I hope that the boss will bring the steering wheel closer to me and I can then move the seat back. I may require an additional spacer to achieve the perfect positioning but I'm going to wait and make some measurements before settling on which one to buy.

Will fit it tomorrow night and take the car for a run...feels great in the hand.

ompsteeringwheel.jpg

Guest Polo01

Ohh bet that feels good :D

Looks great Tav.....the bits and bobs ae amassing :thumbsup:

Guest polokid

sweade is good ! very good...

102_4606.jpg

Tav

Feels special when you are driving, it's lovely. Glad I went for 350mm (standard GT wheel 356mm) as anything less would require more he-man strength at parking speeeds. It feels spot on, just needs a 5cm spacer to bring it out a bit.

Also need to play with the horn to get it working and the indicator cancel tab...someone suggested it should be at 3 o'clock?

skatty_01

Can you use universal 6-hole bosses with OMP wheels, or are they a special fitment? I'm looking for a suede one myself, narrowly missed out on a flat top and bottomed OMP one called 'Kubic' and a 911 GT3 RS suede OMP wheel before that one! I think i want one thats a tad smaller than yours tho, probably around 320mm.

Tav

It's 6-hole and pretty sure it's the universal-type PCD.

Smaller than 350 on a Mk3 would be giving into aesthetics I think...I'll get a pic up tomorrow night of the wheel fitted to give you an idea of what 350 sits like. Looks awesome in the car.

skatty_01

Ok cheers mate. MrP has a 355mm flat bottomed wheel thats quite cool, I'm not sure i want something quite that big. Perhaps 330 might be a better compromise.

Maxeh

I have a 300mm wheel in mine which I admit looks pants, but anything bigger and my legs get in the way. Aside from parking its not actually too bad though.