Tav

Polo GT Project

Tav
Ok cheers mate. MrP has a 355mm flat bottomed wheel thats quite cool, I'm not sure i want something quite that big. Perhaps 330 might be a better compromise.

Yeah 330mm was my first choice...hummed and hawed...and went with the "safe" bet...would like to try 330mm in future. Should look well proportioned on the dash too...only 2cm smaller afterall.

I have a 300mm wheel in mine which I admit looks pants, but anything bigger and my legs get in the way. Aside from parking its not actually too bad though.

Good reason to have it. I'd have been happy with the standard wheel...I just need a different seating position. You quite tall Maxeh?

Edited by Tav

skatty_01

Only problem is I'm too much of a tightarse skint student to pay full whack, so i have to sit around waiting til something nice comes up on a forum or ebay lol. Haha if i meet you at a show with my 330mm wheel you can take a turn lol.

Alex
ompsteeringwheel.jpg

You scare me, I'm after the same for mine! 8-)

Maxeh

I'm not massively tall, just plenty wide enough lol

StueyB

All this talk of 300mm+ wheels, doesn't do anything for working the guns whilst parking.

280mm wheel for the win.

18-12-07_1611.jpg

Do like the OMP wheel tho Tav, i'm looking forward to some progress shots of the car.

What ever happened to the red shell that you stripped?

Tav

Parts live on in a few Polo's up here...going to scrap it though. The thought of spunking £2k on a respray was too much for me, thought I'd rather start with a GT in a nice colour and then G40 that...good learning experience though taking it all apart.

Ross

You should get a smaller one tav and work on those guns haha.

We'll have to get the red -one scrapped asap boyo! :x

StueyB
You should get a smaller one tav and work on those guns haha.

Worked for me.

...but is a little lost in the raddo now.

Edited by StueyB

Tav

Blog 07: De-Wipered + Bigger Brakes

The rear wiper wasn't working properly so I took this as a sign that I should remove it and all the associated parts. Two birds with one stone; I've lost some weight from the car and the problem has been "fixed." The hole has been plugged using a rubber bung available from Halfords.

dewiper.jpg

I also test fitted the 256mm disks and Girling 54 calipers under my 14" BBS RA alloys. After some confusion relating to where the carrier should sit, we managed to squeeze the disks and calipers under the wheels. It's a tight fit but fingers crossed there will be some room for properlly positioned ballancing weights.

braketestfit.jpg

Brake calipers should be posted off to Bigg Red on Monday (if the email back in reasonable time) for re-manufacturing and zinc coating.

Last job as regards brakes will be picking up some Mk2 Golf 16v disks (standard or perhaps "performance" items), a good set of pads, a 22mm passat master cylinder and then bolting it all together. Goodridge hoses are already here...excellent.

Edited by Tav

supercharged spaniel

good stuff. out of interest how much is it to have the callipers rebuilt?

Guest POLOMON

good work mate! good luck! :) :thumbsup:

Tav
good stuff. out of interest how much is it to have the callipers rebuilt?

£100ish for full rebuild inc. pressure testing, renewing all parts and coating in your choice of finish. Either going for zinc style electroplate or their teflon black/silver poly-something-or-other coating to keep it looking OE.

Prices depend on type of caliper and finish chosen. They have a little step-by-step on their site. http://www.bogredd.co.uk

heartagram

Your all big girls. 240mm chain steering wheels ftw :lol:

Tav

hahaha I'd love to see peoples faces if I pulled up with one of them at a meet...240mm...you msut be RIPPED!

Alex

Tav, there's shit loads of room for 256mm brakes under 14" BBS wheels. More room than you get between 13s and 239mm ones.

Tav

The 13's are tricky. When Stuart had the 13" RA's he couldn't put the balance weights in the ideal place due to the caliper getting in the way...course you can run weights on the face of the rim but they look a bit poop...or you can move the weights in board a little and loose some of their effectiveness. That's my only real concern.

Edited by Tav

Mariojoshi

Gotta love a smart black GT!

Project seems to be coming along nicely fella. Keep up the good work!

Alex

My old GT steelies had weights inside and I didn't have any problems getting them over my old brakes, they were really tight against the face of the wheel though. There's certainly more room for the 256mm brakes under the 14s, you shouldn't have any issues at all. :thumbsup:

Tav

Blog 8: Rear Window Parting Company

Well my rear window is trying to part company with the rear hatch. Can be seen in the following picture + video:

brokenwindow.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cVZ6DS3TFo

It makes a horendous tapping noise as the window hits against the metal frame. Booked the car in on Thursday to have it removed and re-sealed.

Tav

Blog 09: Complete Subframe Arrived + Some Little Touches

Finally the subframe has arrived in its completed state. I've been waiting for this since August. 5/6 months is quite some time! Of course with something so unusual it was never going to be a smooth process getting it to my door. Big thanks to Yoof and Henry those ever friendly chaps at PPP for bringing some innovation to the Mk3 Polo...lets hope it makes a dramatic improvement to the car.

Subframe is away being re-coated in gloss black powder-coat. Dan should be proud! haha.

Complete Subframe:

subframecomplete.jpg

Gearbox Mount:

gearboxmount.jpg

Adjustable Tie Bar:

tiebar.jpg

Here's how the car is looking just now. Much and such the same as it was when I bought it, looking a little sorry for it's self but should get much better in next couple of weeks:

polofebuary.jpg

Pedal rubbers were both fooked so I got a set from GSF for £1.20. I can't stand willy waving "motorsport" pedals that just get in the way/don't actually do anything, so OE style replacements were needed. Had to trim the edges with a scalpel as I don't think they were touched after being moulded, they looked messy.

Old rubber:

pedalrubber2.jpg

New rubber:

pedalrubber.jpg

My wheels are currently away getting powder-coated silver (with the subframe). My Corrado G60 callipers are being rebuilt by Big Redd. I've purchased a rear bias valve, disks and pads. I have a new VAG heated window ready for rear hatch, just going to save some pennies to have it resprayed at the same time. The next update should be a nice big one as finally all the parts meet the car.

Edited by Tav

Toopay_MkIII_GT

that looks some peice of kit that frame, will like to hear you are feedback on that when its all fitted n etc. i can see this being on of my fav mk3 in the future from what I've herd of you are plans.

Tav
that looks some peice of kit that frame, will like to hear you are feedback on that when its all fitted n etc. i can see this being on of my fav mk3 in the future from what I've herd of you are plans.

Judging by your car it should appeal to you're aesthetic sensibilities (doesn't that sound fancy haha). The G40 engine and some of the other performance parts should make it close to being the complete fast road Mk3...or so the plan goes...we'll see. I have a week off coming up, so I'll be fitting most of the parts then. I'll then make some videos/pictures etc. of how it drives/stops etc.

Steilheckpolo

:shock: the subframe looks like hi-tech!

Another cool replacement for the rubbers would be some TT pedalcovers 8-)

Anyway I´m looking forward what happens next.

Genesis Jim

indeed that subframe does look high tech :) i like very much...cant wait to see this finished...i love black GT's :thumbsup:

kam - 240 chain steerin wheel????? pffffttttt think my chain steerin wheel is 225 or 220...serious guns...unfortunately its sat in my bedroom and the car is probably a steelie on a brand new car now...scrapped it just before christmas when i blew it up :( meh mk4 in may :)

currie

il be so pleased when you drive this car. then you can have an opinion!