Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Oh FFS! Car wont start – ignition clicking and warning lights flashing very quickly

Why me! Yet yore issues with the old dears motor - 1.6 (AEE) Auto CL model on a 1996 P plate – I soooo hate this car! :x

The problem I have at the mo is that when I turn the ignition key to start it doesnt start, instead it seems to switching between on & off very quickly, all the warning lights are flashing theres a very fast clicking noise from the ignition barrel (all in sync) - hope that makes sense?

I'm 99% sure its not a flat battery as it was just used the day before, and I'm not getting that usual starter motor lurch that u normally get with flat battery.

Note there is also an after market immobiliser fitted to the car (the sort where u have to push a little fob into a slot under the dash) and the clicking noise I think is also emanating from immobilser siren thats sits under the bonnet, not sure if this is related?

And also note the ignition switch was only replaced last summer cus it was worn out i.e it wasnt making any connection, so i know its not that (i think)

Please help cus I'm slowly getting closer to pushing this thing into the canal! :angry:

p.s. could it be a loose HT lead cus i didnt check for that!!

Edited by s79
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• s79

• Rod Stylz

• spookey

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds very much like the immobiliser to me.

I guess you have tried locking it all up again and trying to disarm the immobiliser again?

Hi goatboy, thanks for your reply. I have no idea how you disarm the immobiliser, any advice? The imobilisers siren unit under the bonnet has a special key which fits a lock, but that only seems to arm/disarm the siren.

Edited by s79

just wanted to add that i just got back from work, and tried to restart it, but it looks the battery is actually flat now! However for some bizzare reason i think this is because there was some weird electrical hum coming from the back of the car when sitting inside it. I can explain where the noise was coming from tho, but I'm sure i was using power!?! I'm proper baffled by it. i also noticed it when it originally started playing up this morning.

Rod Stylz

its a flat battery i bet you!!!

you prob left something on or its developed a drain,

but that clicking/buzzing you heard is a sign of a flat battery. its the starter solenoid going trying to engage the motor.

charge the battery tonight and all will be well

J

check your fuses mate it might be a fuse or a relay.

Thanks for the replies guys, just had the mechanic have a quick look at it & he tested the battery which is as flat a pancake now. However this is regular thing with the car - You cant leave it for week without driving it without the battery going flat - as rod stylz said it must definatley have a drain somewhere - what are the likley sources of this? could it actually be the imobiiliser?

p.s. apologies for misleading everyone before & insisting it wasnt a flat battery :oops:

I foolishly thought I knew what i was talking about!

Edited by s79

Radios!

To check for drain, with the battery charged and the ignition off, disconnect the positive lead of the battery.

Connect a multimeter up, positive lead to the positive terminal of the battery, negative lead to the lead you unbolted from the battery. Set it to the amps setting. Note the reading. Have someone remove the fuses one at a time(replacing it before moving onto the next) and watch for the meters reading dropping lots. When you've found out which fuse makes the largest difference, see what that fuse protects.

I had this problem on my BMW 635CSi and I've narrowed it down to either the radio or the trip computer as they are both on the same circuit, but haven't delved any deeper just yet.

Guest oldrope

you would be supprized how many battrys just fail internally. not that uncommon. id check all connections around the starter motor and alternator, a lose connection can cause mayhem!!!

Hi all thanks for all your replies, just to let u know, the mechanic fitted a new (heavier duty) battery and checked for signs of draining (or at least he said he did!) and he said there wasnt any.

So it seems it was just the battery after all, I'm puzzled as there were no tell tale signs it was going, in fact it it started so easily a few days before. Can batterys just 'go' like that?