Tav

Mk3 Polo 256mm Brakes

Tav

Mk3 Polo 256mm Brakes

brakefaq1.jpg

Anyone who has driven a Mk3 Polo will be well aware that the brakes leave a lot to be desired. G40's benefit from wider vented discs but due to the increased performance of the engine these brakes remain inadequate.

It is possible to upgrade Mk3 Polos from the standard fit 239mmx10mm solid (239mmx20mm vented on G40) discs to 256mmx20mm using a range of parts from various VAG cars. Below is a list of all the parts required to carry out the conversion.

Calipers: Volkswagen Mk2 Golf GTi 16v 'Girling 54'

The cheapest option for acquiring new calipers is to buy them second hand or get them from a car in a scrap yard/breakers, this is what I did. I then had the calipers remanufactured by http://www.biggred.co.uk All seals were replaced and the castings have been electroplated. They are as good as new. You can read more about them in my build thread.

Volkswagen Part Number (left):

Volkswagen Part Number (left):

Cost (ea.):

brakefaq2.jpg

Carriers: Audi 90

The carriers are the key component in this conversion. The carriers allow the fitment of the Golf calipers to the Polo suspension strut. Golf carriers have wider lug spacing and thus do not fit. These carriers are quite difficult to come across and were only fitted to Audi 80/90 in the few years surrounding 1985. Luckily I picked mine up second hand in the Club Polo for sale section. I'm not sure if they are still available new and if so how much they would cost.

Volkswagen Part Number: b>853 615 125

Cost (ea.): N/A

brakefaq3.jpg

Discs: Volkswagen Mk2 Golf GTi 16v 256mmx20mm Vented

There are a wide selection of discs available for the Golf GTi from a range of suppliers. I chose genuine Volkswagen plain discs, although I may upgrade to some grooved items from the like of Brembo in future.

Volkswagen Part Number:

Cost (ea.):

brakefaq6.jpg

Pads: Volkswagen Mk2 Golf GTi 16v

Like the discs mentioned above the pads are also from a Golf GTi. Again there is a wide range of options available from a lot of different sources. I decided on using EBC Green Stuff pads.

Cost (ea.):

brakefaq7.jpg

Bolts + Intermediate Panel:

As with any work on a car it is always best to replace old tired bolts and fasteners.

Caliper to Carrier Slider Pin:
Small bolt that holds the caliper to the carrier.

Volkswagen Part Number:

Cost(ea.):

Carrier to Suspension Strut:
I purchased Mk2 Golf bolts but later found them to be too large (M12). I have since ordered Polo bolts (M10x30). Both types of bolts can be seen in the picture below. The large silver bolt being the incorrect Golf item, the smaller rusty bolt being the correct Polo/Audi item.

Volkswagen Part Number:

Cost (ea.):

Brake Disk Retaining Screw
: These smalls screws hold the brake disk onto the hub. They often round off when being removed. Makes bolting wheels through disk and into hub much easier, a must have.

Volkswagen Part Number:

Cost (ea.):

Intermediate Panel:
This small metal panel fits between the back of the brake pad and cylinder. They are quite expensive for what they are. Can be seen in the photo below, the small silver disk with three prongs on the far right.

Volkswagen Part Number:

Cost (ea.): £5.00

brakefaq5.jpg

Master Cylinder: Volkswagen 22.2mm

Ideally you will want to increase the diameter of the master cylinder to match the new brakes. Fitting a larger master cylinder reduces pedal travel, another annoying issue with Polo brakes.

22.2mm master cylinders are available on the following cars: Golf GTi 16V, Corrado G60 and Passat. These larger master cylinders have 4 outlets, your Polo only requires 3. When ordering a Passat master cylinder from GSF you will need a blanking screw for the 4th outlet, these are available for around £2. I will up date this section with more accurate information when I order my new master cylinder. It really is better to buy new than use one from a scrap yard when the cost is only around £30.

Volkswagen Part Number:

Cost (ea.):

GSF Part Number:

Cost (ea.):

Brake Lines: Goodridge Braided Steel Brake Lines

Replacing the standard rubber brake hoses with braided steel items will firm up brake pedal feel. The rubber hoses expand slightly as you press the brake pedal, the braided steel on Goodridge hoses prevents this from happening.

Available from:

Cost:

brakefaq4.jpg

Wheels: To fit 256mm brakes your Polo will require you to use a 14 inch diameter wheel. Some motorsport orientated 13 inch wheels may fit, but these are normally very expensive and often not suitable for use of the road. I chose a set of 14"x6J BBS RA alloy wheels. These are the same design as those found on the Polo G40 but are 1 inch larger in diameter and 0.5 inch wider.

Edited by Tav

Tav

Step 1: Collect Parts & Tools

First of all you need to collect together all the parts you need for the conversion and the tools you will use to fit them. The parts are listed in the post above. In addition to this you will need some Copper Grease and LM Grease.

I have listed the required tools below:

• Wheel Brace and/or 17mm socket w/extension
  • Jack (preferably good quality trolley jack)
  • Axel Stands
  • 13mm Socket and/or Spanner
  • 15mm Spanner
  • 15mm Socket
  • Torque Wrench (calibrated)
  • Side Cutters
  • Brake Union Spanner
  • Wire Brush
  • WD40/Plus Gas

brakefaq8.jpg

Step 2: Remove Brake Wear Indicators

Unlike the cars these Green Stuff pads were design for the Mk3 Polo doesn't have a brake wear indicator. So the first job was to remove the plugs and wiring from the pads. Two seconds with a set of side cutters and the job was done.

brakefaq9.jpg

Step 3: Fit Brake Pad Back Plates

brakefaq10.jpg

brakefaq11.jpg

Step 4: Assemble Calipers & Carriers

brakefaq12.jpg

brakefaq13.jpg

Step 5: Remove Old Brake Components

Step 6: Fit Pads, Caliper + Carrier Assembly and Discs to Strut

Step 7: Replace Brake Hoses

Step 8: Fit New Master Cylinder

Step 9: Bleed and Renew Fluid

Step 10: Break In

Step 11: Admire Handy Work

brakefaq14.jpg

Edited by Tav

mathew

is that a vernier on your desk? blimey you getting tech!

mathew

rally design can get the hoses, although i think they order them in on request. if i remember they cost around 40 squids including vat

Tav
is that a vernier on your desk? blimey you getting tech!

Aye verniers for the win. Needed them to check the sizes of bolts and pads etc. Got to be sure.

Renegade440

Any chance of fixing the pictures at some point, this seems a very useful thread

Tav

Sorry, deleted them from my webspace without thinking, don't think I have any copies! If I do, I'll get them back up, it was a good thread.

Renegade440

Good stuff, theres quite a few handy threads missing pics, would be a shame to see them slip into oblivion

grungeisdead

give me a shout if your are a complete loss mate, I've got several pics of 256mm setups in various incarnations and states

This should also be updated with the details of the vauxhall 256/288mm conversions too

Tav

Any VW 256 set ups going spare Saf? ;)

I was going to take some off a Cavalier last week but didn't have 3G so couldn't check exactly what I needed. Putting together a definitive, definitive guide could be worth while.

bread van

any idea of the master cyilinder part numbers?

thanks ant

vwadam

Mate I have a 6n2 and am doin the g60 front brake conversion, I went to do it all today but when puttin them on I came across a problem the stem on the wish bone ball joint is a different size and isto big 4 the 16v hubs. What do I do? I really need a guide like yours but 4 a 6n2 8v g60 conversion can you help please?

big pete

Hey mate i have a mk3 polo with astra gsi calipers on it. do u know what flexis match the polo and the astra calipers

cheers Tom

dart_strife

so i just purchased some vauxhall astra 2.0 16v GTE front 256 mm brake callipers and carriers. i need to purchase the hoses from the same car, mk2 golf 16v gti brake discs, but then on the guide it says cavalier pads, cant i get the golf pads ? or astra pads ? and on the guide it does not say what car to get the 22mm master cylinder and servo upgrade off, on the vauxhall guide, but i can just use the ones mentioned above cant i ? any ideas ? any one know about the pads for the vauxhall set up ?

Edited by dart_strife

matt646
so i just purchased some vauxhall astra 2.0 16v GTE front 256 mm brake callipers and carriers. i need to purchase the hoses from the same car, mk2 golf 16v gti brake discs, but then on the guide it says cavalier pads, cant i get the golf pads ? or astra pads ? and on the guide it does not say what car to get the 22mm master cylinder and servo upgrade off, on the vauxhall guide, but i can just use the ones mentioned above cant i ? any ideas ? any one know about the pads for the vauxhall set up ?

Astra pads are fine, i ran them on my vauxhall setup. Infact i have some ebc green stuff ones brand new that i never used if your interested

22.2mm master cylinder is off a Mk2 golf 16v or some Passats? If it's a MK3 you won't need the servo or a spacer

Edited by matt646

dart_strife

how much are you thinking for them ? I'm in hull to.

what do you mean by spacer ? i know the master cylinder is not essential but would be a nice upgrade at the same time while the brake fluid is drained ?

i also need to find these shoulder bolts that will fit

dart_strife

can this be updated with photos ??

runforrestrun

What back plate are people using? Does the standard Polo one still fit?

Tav

The splash guard? Cut it off and throw it in the bin. Left foot brake after puddles or if it's lashing down and its a long time between applications of the brake.

runforrestrun

Yep, I meant the splash guard. Do you not reckon it's needed then?