carver

Replacing Inner & Outer Caliper Seals

carver

Quick insight in how to do this its relatively easy and isnt worth paying someone to do it IMO. So might save you some ££'s when you upgrade your CL brakes to VWII G40 calipers 8-)

First plan of attack is to get an electric air compresser, I used my Halfords tyre pump. You need a football pin and attach it to the connector.

1-1.jpg

Put the pin in the brake line, it isnt a great fit it has to say but you can get it tight enough to get enough pressure

2-1.jpg

The air will push the piston out, be very careful the piston doesnt smack you in the face or damage its self. I used a cloth on the other end to cushion the impact as it does come out at some force.

3-2.jpg

The next thing you need to do is remove the two seals, there is a dust protector which is what you see on the table and and an inner ring. You can easily pull the dust protector off away from the caliper ridge.

4-2.jpg

Using a sharp flat screw driver carefully prise the inner ring out, should come out without any problems.

5-1.jpg

The two seals.

6-2.jpg

New seals (Thanks Steveo3002)

7.jpg

The inner ring needs to go in first, there is a ridge that it sits in, its very easy to get into place. After its tightly in I used my finger to give it a layer of brake fluid.

8.jpg

Next comes the hardest part, the dust filter. If you dont know how to do it its a complete idiot :lol:. First put the dust seal on the piston, you then need to get it in place to the caliper and push the seal to the end so its almost falling off but not quite. Go in at an angle, the bottom first and wriggle it in slowly so that the dust seal goes inside the piston housing. It does take abit of patience, it took me 30 minutes to do the first one :x and 1 minute to do the second its just a matter of knowing how to do it.

Once the dust seal is in place push the piston all the way in.

Job done :-D

9.jpg

Please excuse the presentation of my calipers they do need a good sanding down and a paint but they work and I'm piss poor skint and cant afford caliper paint. :lol: :lol:

Hope it helps some people out.

Ash

Edited by carver

heartagram

FAQ worthy if you ask me!

Guest Wiggy

Schweet!! Was wondering how to get the piston out of my calipers. Good job chap :-D :thumbsup:

AMD_Man

Many thanks for the guide

I'm about to service a set of G60 callipers and they look fairly similar so this'll help me start

Regarding the seals I got a set from here, fairly reasonable, arrived next day

http://biggred.co.uk/repairshop.html

Guest Kafer_meister

Another good tip if your pistons are a little more reluctant to move is to remove the flexi brake line and fit a grease nipple into the hole (you can get them in the correct size) then pump the caliper full of grease with a grease gun. These will operate at over 10,000 PSI and should shift the most stubborn of pistons. Make sure the piston can't fly out and damage you/itself/your car/windows/the cat etc.

Obviously you'll need to make sure there isn't any grease left in the caliper before you attempt to rebuild them, a good solvent bath and or airline use should see to this.

I used this method to great effect on a set of 1971 VW calipers that were well and truly seized.

Guest MehMan

Just a quick note, ven if you use a hand pump the piston will shoot out. I thought that the OP's problem with flying pistons was the electrical compressor. It wasn't. It' really shoots out and it will smack into the other side of the caliper if not careful. When refitting the dust seal, its is quite a bitch if you're not doing it properly. Remember that once you get it on the bottom of the piston, stretch it out. Don't leave it in the same shape as when it came out of the package, just stretch it out, so you can fit it easily. When removing the inner seal, be sure that there isn't a pool of brake fluid on the bottom where you'll most likely try to get it out. If the seal shoots back into the groove, as is likely, then it'll splash about and it might hit you in the eye(as it happened with me).

B-shaw

Just used this awesome FAQ to do mine (at 1 in the morning may i add haha)

I don't think id have known where to start if it wasn't for this thread. So thanks to Carver :D

Anyway, i got confused at the 1st herdel (sp) As i wasn't sure which 'end' of the piston the seal needed to be. I figured it out swiftly, however decided to take some pictures so my blond moment wasn't to happen to anybody else on here!

Rubber seal on the end of the piston, so its nearly falling off (and facing the correct way)

DSC00474-1.jpg

Rubber seal now in the caliper and the piston pushed in just enough for no movement.

DSC00475-1.jpg

You then battle with it for a minute or so (mine was stiff as fuck to push in) pushing it into the caliper. Pushing on it straight did little so you really need to push side to side (if that makes sense) and it will slowly go in. Gets easier towards the end

And finally, a freshly sealed VW2 caliper :D

DSC00476-1.jpg

Hope my pictures are of some help to someone lol.

z3i
Just used this awesome FAQ to do mine (at 1 in the morning may i add haha)

I don't think id have known where to start if it wasn't for this thread. So thanks to Carver :D

Anyway, i got confused at the 1st herdel (sp) As i wasn't sure which 'end' of the piston the seal needed to be. I figured it out swiftly, however decided to take some pictures so my blond moment wasn't to happen to anybody else on here!

Rubber seal on the end of the piston, so its nearly falling off (and facing the correct way)

DSC00474-1.jpg

Rubber seal now in the caliper and the piston pushed in just enough for no movement.

DSC00475-1.jpg

You then battle with it for a minute or so (mine was stiff as fuck to push in) pushing it into the caliper. Pushing on it straight did little so you really need to push side to side (if that makes sense) and it will slowly go in. Gets easier towards the end

And finally, a freshly sealed VW2 caliper :D

DSC00476-1.jpg

Hope my pictures are of some help to someone lol.

You can get special brake piston lubricant so they push back easier :)

01mlacey

I've just torn the outer seal trying to fit it really not happy

on the upper hand heres a video from bigg red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiIud4e-dEQ

the guy does it in 42 seconds and an easier way from what it would seem

ill be trying this method once i have a replacement seal

cheers

Edited by 01mlacey

Yeti

What I do is get someone with a pair of butter knives to guide the dust seal onto the pot while I put it in. 10 second job every time.

It's always worth dropping the pot in without the seals first just to make sure there's no corrosion or burrs that will cause a problem.

spesh

how about lubing the piston and seals with brake fluid or red rubber grease...should go in easier

this is what I've used to rebuild the 30+ motorcycle calipers over the years... car calipers are no different just bigger

Yeti

No reason why not, but I like to be able to feel if there's an trace of the pot sticking in the caliper as I put it together, that way if there's a bit of a burr, I can find it and sort it before it damages the pot.

01mlacey

just realised the link wasnt in my post :lol:

Videos now up

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.