Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Car Starts then Cuts out immediately

mulletdan

As the title says my polo will sometimes usually when warm when starting will cut immediately and it takes a good 2 to 5 times before it starts up and stays on. Once on it does not turn off again but it does strike me as a problem that could get worse.

Any ideas?

Cheers alot guys

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mulletdan

• baseten

• 6Newan

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cooperspolo69
As the title says my polo will sometimes usually when warm when starting will cut immediately and it takes a good 2 to 5 times before it starts up and stays on. Once on it does not turn off again but it does strike me as a problem that could get worse.

Any ideas?

Cheers alot guys

I no for a 6n It could be

- Faulty or filthy throttle body

- Petrol sensor: thinks there is no fuel

- Engine Temperature sensor: thinks engine is too hot or too cold to start

- Engine speed sensor: cannot detect engine speed signal

- Faulty starter motor

- Earth cable to immobilizer unit

- Immobilizer cables: not enough clearance for reading coil in steering / too much tension in wires etc.

- Earth cable from battery to engine

- ECU locked: disconnect battery wires for at least 3 hours and then reconnect

- Fuel pump relay

- immobilizer coil reader

most common is the throttle body and fuel pump relay

hope that's some help

mulletdan

Cheers alot man

I cleaned the Throttle body recently several times over.

The fuel pump relay sounds intresting, could it have anything to do with the fuel filter too, because its not been changed in a long time and I intended on changing it soon as part of the service/MOT.

Far as the immobilizer goes, wouldnt it not let the engine turn over?

I've tried putting into VAG COM to try to see if that will show something up but it showed all was well. Very Confusing! lol

Guest cooperspolo69

yeah u could change the fuel filter its not hard anyway well i had the same problem n just got worse and that turn out to be my immobilizer coil reader good luck lol

Factory fit VW immobiliser allows the engine to turnover and start, then it immediatley dies I had the same problem on my old 1.4 Ibiza, turned out to be the aerial coil around the ignition barrel they're not to pricey so worth a shot

Edited by baseten
mulletdan

I've got it controlled by the key fobs like u get in the car (alarm off) and u put the key in the ignition, turn the key then press the fob, that disables the imbilizer and lets u start the car.

Say u had the alarm on then disarmed it, I think u then have like a number of seconds to start the car, after the seconds the imbolizer comes on and it wont let u start the car at all, no turning the key so lights come on on the dash at all.

But il def get the coil looked into. Is it a VW job? also is it findable using VAG COM or VAG software?

Cheers again

Edited by mulletdan

if its a thatcham approved alarm immobiliser, you have 30-60 seconds from when its disarmed to turn the ignition on or the immobiliser rearms itself, the coil on the ignition barrel will is generally for cars with a chip in the key, or in aftermarket stuff, arf chip on the keyring, if its factory it will show up on vagcom as an immobiliser fault (but that the car was strted unsuccessfully)

if i remember correctly, been a while since i last touched a vw immobiliser

Edited by baseten
Factory fit VW immobiliser allows the engine to turnover and start, then it immediatley dies I had the same problem on my old 1.4 Ibiza, turned out to be the aerial coil around the ignition barrel they're not to pricey so worth a shot

Factory immobiliser cuts the fuel, so the reason why it would start and die is because it'll use the fuel supplied when the fuel circuit is primed when you first turn the key, but as there is then no more fuel, it cuts out. Check inside the key to make sure the immobiliser chip isn't loose, this happened to me.

mulletdan

As far as I know the alarm/immobilizer system came with the car. So by the looks of it the problem I'm having is with the factory immobilizer. Yep I have a chip in the key.

I've got a mechanic coming wednesday but hes being a tad dippy about the whole thing, the kinda mechanic that goes 'oo well it didnt do it when i test drove it therefore theres nothing wrong with it'. Is it repair an independent one can do with geniune parts or is it something I have to get it to VW for?.

Also would disconnecting the immobilizer altogether solve the problem?

mulletdan

PS also is it ok to drive whilst it has this problem? e.g. it wont randomly cut out doing 65 done the motorway lol

Cheers

Dan