my 88 breadvan 1300cl

steveo3002

bought this 1300 cl as a cheap run about as we have two tidy golf gti's as well

its done a massive 173k lol...still runs like a top uses no oil

sinse weve had it I've fitted fresh dampers all round,new wheel bearings ,steering damper, 5 speed box and a new clutch(thanks uel coupe) , weber dmtr ,done the head gasket cus of the corner oil leak , fresh brakes all round, headlamp relay wiring and H4 lamps with night breaker bulbs, heavy duty battery cables and earths

I've also cleaned it up really well and painted a few scabs, carpets out and jetwashed ..and a gti steering wheel +rev counter dash(not in pics) and I've fitted leds to the dash switches and heater controls, alpine head unit and 6 disc changer

polo002.jpg

polo001.jpg

polo004.jpg

polo003.jpg

ciglighter002.jpg

ledpolo001.jpg

ledpolo014.jpg

custom breadvan keyring

misc002.jpg

Edited by steveo3002

made the keyring diy mate....just filed it out of some random plastic lol

leds in the dash look good, where did u get them? most of the bulbs in mine have gone, including the ones for the clocks :S

just ebay 3mm leds of whatever colour you like , i got 14v resistors as some 12v ones failed

Nice little run about you have, have you got pic of the dash lit up in the dark, thinking it would look sweet!

thanks Tommy.

cant get a nice night time pic...it looks 1000x better than standard , you can also wire a dimmer inline so you can ajust to your liking

spitting image of my previous car, but for the wheels, 5.5J steel wheels with 165 65 or 175 60 make the car handle soo much better its unreal.

if ever the funds allow id probably go for some golf 14" steels with suitable tyres to clear the stock arches

id prob not go any wider than the 165s though, cant see little polos needed huge tyres

for now though I've took those hubcaps off and run bare black steels with the small center cap

Edited by steveo3002

Fair play to you mate keeping your car standard but doing one of the best mods(in my opinion) by fitting the webber. Also thanks for your advice when I fitted mine.

Looks clean as for the mileage, christ I thought I had some mileage just hitting the 100,000 mark. Just because a car is low mileage doesn't mean your not going to get issues, mine sat for 8 months and the head gasket blew within months of getting it back on the road.

I'm still running steels simply because of lack of funds but am on the look out for oem+ alloys, almost any of the mk2 golf,polo,scirrocco ones would be an option. Check Mk3 Graeme's bottle tops on his coupe, you can pic them up for pennys although where I live it's harder to source anything.

Cheers

just had a look at those bottle caps...they do look good, although i think id be happy with steels as i like it to go un noticed

might look out for a twin outlet manifold and downpipe...i recon that strangles it loads

might look out for a twin outlet manifold and downpipe...i recon that strangles it loads

Mk2 cast mani is restrictive as hell. Should let a few more horses into the paddock just by sorting it out. G40 mani is a good one but you would need the G40 downpipe as well. Alternatively any that isn't just the 4-1.

I just got some steels for the polo just to keep the standard look.

steels

As new. 5 steels and 5 centre caps for a wopping great £30. They should look nice as fresh steels always look good on old cars.

Just keep an eye out.

That's a really nice example Steve, looks very tidy indeed - especially considering the mileage.

I too think the O.E steels look nice without the hubcaps (mk2 hubcaps are dire IMO!) The work you have done so far is excellent and really freshens it up. Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers,

Richard.

• 3 months later...

demo...i spose the g40 manis arent too bad to find? i bet most of em run 4 branchers now

might keep a eye out for one....although i dread fitting it

if you can manage the weber conversion, a manifold and bits of exhaust system shouldnt confuse you, its just bigger bits of the car.

yeah the basics of the mainifold dont scare me...just snapped studs in the head kinda worry me a bit

I've had nearly every other part off the car already lol

Yeah snapped studs can be a right pain. Try and get the bolts off bets you can and just re use the studs if they are good enough condition. Heat, lube and brute force 8-)

couple more pics here

cleaned the engine bay up a bit, here it is the powerfull beast MH lump with weber goodness and a alloy rocker cover

polobay004.jpg

polobay002.jpg

clear indicators fitted, suprising how much differance they maketo the looks

polobay008.jpg

black steels now instead of the naff hubcaps, had a quick repaint with some satin plastikote, and some black side repeaters make the car almost all black n white

polobay007.jpg

led lit ash tray ...dunno why beacuse i dont smoke lol

ashtray002-1.jpg

Edited by steveo3002

hey! i was thinking about wiring a few LEDs here and there..

whats the story with soldering them...

dont you put a resistor on the positive terminal of each led?

whats the power source you are using?

looks good:)

right they're 3mm leds off ebay...yes you need to solder in a resistor in each positive leg , or group them all up and use one bigger resistor

they're wired into the original dash power supply ..they use very little power so no probs there

i had to slightly sand the leds to fit in that heater panel ...its not hard to do and the parts are cheap :)

soldering is easy to do , buy a cheap iron and practice on some wire

That's a really nice example Steve, looks very tidy indeed - especially considering the mileage.

I too think the O.E steels look nice without the hubcaps (mk2 hubcaps are dire IMO!) The work you have done so far is excellent and really freshens it up. Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers,

Richard.

Gotta say it again Steve. Looked at the new pics and it really is an exceptional car - even if it'd done 70k let alone 170k! 8-)

The steels look lovely too, who needs fancy alloys that stick out too far and stretched tyres?

The bodywork looks superb, even in the engine bay, under the wheel arches, sills and close up on the front valance where they often get tatty.

The hard work you have put in tidying up, cleaning and polishing everything has really paid off. Great car, just right. :thumbsup::thumbsup:8-)

Cheers,

Richard.

This car just gets better, great stuff.

I have the exact same wheels, the webber and am about to bolt on the same rocker. Difference being my car is red and black.

Did you add a breather hole to that rocker or has mine just not got one?