Sign in to follow this  
Guest pologti01

mk5 polo gti 6n2 gearbox problem

Guest pologti01

i have a mk5 polo gti 6n2 had it about month. this problem has only just started it doesnt happen when its cold it happends when I'm driving round and on and off the clutch. the problem is I'm finding it hard to get into gear I've had the pedal box recall done I'm just a bit confused what it culd be could anyone help me out plz?

Guest dubbys

if its gears 2&4 then you should get it looked at now as it will be an input shaft problem, and, at this time will be repirable but not for much longer!

Guest pologti01
if its gears 2&4 then you should get it looked at now as it will be an input shaft problem, and, at this time will be repirable but not for much longer!

yeh it is 2nd and 4th got to put a bit of force to get it into 4th but its going like it in most of the gears now i just want to get it sorted really doing my head in. when i am stationary at lights and go to put it into first it takes about 3 attempts to go in.. so do u think that would be an input shaft problem?

Guest pologti01
yup stop driving it!!

i have done. what happends to the shaft then?

checked gearbox oil 2day and its fine anybody else have any ideas? would it be possible that my centre plate is sticking and not engaging properly?

Guest phil16v

no its your gearbox its a commone problem on gti's , you will need to get e replacement box or a recon more than likly

Guest saint polo

i had the same problem, was gettin really hard to put in to gear, so tightened my clutch cable and was ok, then it started to get really difficult to get in gear again...........then my pedal box snapped!!!

as the pedal box was starting to bend it was kind of slackening off the clutch cable, so when i tightened it everything was fine, then as the pedal box bent even more it got to the point where it just snapped

vw did this FOC on my 1.4 SE

Guest pologti01
i had the same problem, was gettin really hard to put in to gear, so tightened my clutch cable and was ok, then it started to get really difficult to get in gear again...........then my pedal box snapped!!!

as the pedal box was starting to bend it was kind of slackening off the clutch cable, so when i tightened it everything was fine, then as the pedal box bent even more it got to the point where it just snapped

vw did this FOC on my 1.4 SE

I've had the pedal box recal done. is their any point bothering putting a clutch and cable on their then?

DubbPrince

if its only those specific gears then its the box mate...dont chance it.

If the other gears go in fine, then its not the clutch and not the cable. It also means the gear mechanism on the gearbox should still be set up the way it has been since new, unless the box has been swapped out before.

A 1.4 16v gearbox will fit your engine if your desperate to get your hands on one to get you by. Thats what i did.

Guest dubbys

DP whats the difference in the 16v box over the GTi, ratio wise and fitment wise + cost?

vdub_68
if its only those specific gears then its the box mate...dont chance it.

If the other gears go in fine, then its not the clutch and not the cable. It also means the gear mechanism on the gearbox should still be set up the way it has been since new, unless the box has been swapped out before.

A 1.4 16v gearbox will fit your engine if your desperate to get your hands on one to get you by. Thats what i did.

Didnt realise these would fit. Whats the gearbox code mate, and whats the ratios like compared to a gti box?

Guest pologti01
gr8 minds....

its gettin hard to go into all the gears now really and when i put it into 5th and come to drop it down to 4th i got to force it in or lift my foot off clutch a bit and she will slide in. so just get my box reconed then yeh?

DubbPrince

take it to a garage first...have them check your clutch, release bearing and mechanism...THEN it'll need a rebuild if its not anything else.

A rebuild will set you back between £350-500...depending where you go.

Hence, if you dont have the cash...use a 1.4 16v box, it has a higher ratio so revs about 500rpm more in each gear and you lose 10mph off your top speed but 0-60 increases and it can shift!! trust me.

The gearbox code is CWX and it normally goes onto the AFH engines.

It is a straight swap and you'll be smiling :)

BTW...if your mechanically minded...you could do it yourself, it is extremely painstakingly hard when you have the car a foot off the gound on axle stands and your lifting this box up to mate it onto the engine! i've had to do it 3 times...it sucks. :?

Guest pologti01
take it to a garage first...have them check your clutch, release bearing and mechanism...THEN it'll need a rebuild if its not anything else.

A rebuild will set you back between £350-500...depending where you go.

Hence, if you dont have the cash...use a 1.4 16v box, it has a higher ratio so revs about 500rpm more in each gear and you lose 10mph off your top speed but 0-60 increases and it can shift!! trust me.

The gearbox code is CWX and it normally goes onto the AFH engines.

It is a straight swap and you'll be smiling :)

BTW...if your mechanically minded...you could do it yourself, it is extremely painstakingly hard when you have the car a foot off the gound on axle stands and your lifting this box up to mate it onto the engine! i've had to do it 3 times...it sucks. :?

i work in garage so its easy for me mate. its def not my clutch its a bit stuff, in the morning shes perfect clutch nice and soft then when I'm on and off the clutch and she gets warm thats when it gets hard to go into all the gears. so gunna put a gearbox clutch and clutch cable in it no messing around. do u think that volkswagenspares is any good? i was going to buy a box from their, got the cash so just gunna put another gti box in their.

DubbPrince

They seem like they're reputable...you should be fine then mate with a new clutch, cable and box...

Guest pologti01
They seem like they're reputable...you should be fine then mate with a new clutch, cable and box...

yeh hopefully gear change and clutch should be nice and smooth then :). what car have u got mate?

Guest Mike 6n2

Im looking at a 6n2 gti that has recently had a new gearbox linkage and is a bit tight getting into 1st gear is that likely to be the box or an issue with the new gearlinkage? Also it is unknown if the gearbox has been changed/fixed at all any info or help would be appreacited thanks.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this