Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Won't Rev Past 3000rpm

Has anyone experienced engine issues when it wont rev past 3000rpm and just lunges and the throttle seems like its not working or there is no fuel getting to the engine? it's on an 04 plate polo 1.4. Below 3000rpm its fine and runs ok.

any ideas would be welcome its like the car has gone into safe mode!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• twisted

• ashmain

• Cymro

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Russj249

Best thing to do would be to have it put on a diagnostics machine. Not the cheapest thing to have done but most garages now will do it. It'll be easier than replacing stuff to find out what it is.

It's definitely electrical so it'll come up with a fault code. Could be mass air flow meter or something along those lines.

seems like you have already got it with the Safe mode, the other thing it could be is the throttle potentiometer, mums saxo did it and we found that it had gone, a refurbed throttle intake was cheaper than the potentiometer alone.

Edited by Cymro
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE.....i took the car to a garage and it came up with no faults at all on the diagnostic check. Another garage advised me that it might be the throttle sensor, and I've had a service on it to make sure its not a mechanical fault. after all that cash its still losing power when it hits 3000rpm. This is a nightmare. any other suggestions from anyone would be a great help

Did you take it to a VW dealer, or just a back street garage with a generic fault code reader?

it was a guy who works for AUDI as a mechanic techy and he used VAGCOM on a laptop. he does it in his spare time... he said no fault was reported but he changed the idle speed? do you think that vw dealer would be able to find a fault with better equipment?

Guest polo-power

hi m8 i migt be way off here but its worth a look into

on my old vectra when they didnt rev over 4500rpm it came down to the cam shaft sensor,, also could be a crank shaft sensor

more than likely a cam shaft sensor gone, or throttle sensor

hope this helps,,

CHECK THE EASY STUFF FIRST!

I had a polo gt that wouldnt rev past 3k and it turned out the rear exhaust box had rotted and become blocked. if theres nothing showing up on vagcom, the exhaust would be the next thing i would think about checking.