Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Name of the car dealership/numberplate makers on number plate? Removing Illegal?

Alan...

I was going to remove the black plastic underneath my numberplate saying the car dealership it originally came from, but a mate said it has to be there.

True/False?

Cheers, Alan.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobby_hill

• polo_phil

• Alan...

bobby_hill

the actual reflective plate now must have a supplier, postcode and BS number to be legal, years ago its didnt.

a dealer sticker under the plate is an advert to the dealer.

the actual reflective plate now must have a supplier, postcode and BS number to be legal, years ago its didnt.

91 Plate polo, will i get away with saying it didn't have one. hmmm

bobby_hill

91 Plate polo, will i get away with saying it didn't have one. hmmm

yes, as you do not have to comply as the regs are for new plates and cars.

To add to this question regarding the dealer name etc, can I get away with buying new plates (as you can on ebay) that are legal so far as the size/spacing/colours, but get them to leave out their name and just say I had them made up a couple of years ago?

Guest Marroon

and yeah, its very hard to tell how old a plate is, especially on old cars, i think its aimed more at cars that came out after it was introduced, so then in a few years, theyll start pulling everyone over for it if there cars newer than the law if you get me?

bobby_hill

if you buy a "showplate" thats perfectly legal in everyway thats fine, as i doubt anyone would check.

you can not buy proper plates nowadays without id, and having suppliers name on the plate

polo_phil
You need to have BSAU145d on the plate IIRC. Or a suppliers postcode and name. That is all.

Sounds about right... hold on...

On vehicles first registered on or after 1 September 2001, check that the registration plates

a. display the name and postcode of the supplying outlet

b. display a BSAU145d marking

c. do not display a honeycomb or similar effect background

4. check visually that the characters are correctly formed, spaced, and are not obviously likely to be misread due to, for example, badly positioned or uncovered retaining bolts etc.

any new plates you buy have to have the name of the company and the postcode of the company who made them for you (although some a bought about a year ago didn't and I've never had any issues with them). Number plate surrounds are nothing to do with it, dealers just put them on for a bit of free advertising you can do what you want with them.