Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

The two black wires crossing the road...

I don't know whether it's just Northampton but when I went to Gt.Yarmouth, they were there too.

There two black wires that cross the road and join to a box at the side.

Anybody know what they're there for?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• macksimus

• D16RRT

• jooshy63

Top Posters In This Topic

Traffic measureing iirc, probably to decide he more speedbumps off putting in or not :disgust:

Edited by Polio

someone removed the wires with their handbrake recently, 2 black marks and no cables where there used to be cables....

Renegade440

I dont know, why did the 2 black wires cross the road?

Oh... its not a joke?

Oh... its not a joke?

i was thinking the exact same thing lol!

Jon

kwijibo_coupe

They measure traffic flow, peak times of traffic and I believe can estimate an average speed of the traffic. Just a way for local councils and eventually government to get figures and stats for the roads and traffic in the UK.

Here's a fact, the roads are rubbish and people can't drive!

Oh... its not a joke?

Great minds :lol:

macksimus
They measure traffic flow, peak times of traffic and I believe can estimate an average speed of the traffic. Just a way for local councils and eventually government to get figures and stats for the roads and traffic in the UK.

Spot on. They're known as speed loops in the council trade.

They can even estimate how large the vehicle crossing them is by the volume of air displaced. The "wires" are in fact hoses. Like i say, they work off the air displaced by a vehicle driving over the pipes which is interpreted by the control/counting box chained to a lamp post nearby. The pipes are usually 1m apart to correctly measure the speed.

They are under tension when they are screwed to the road. If one of the retaining straps comes free, the hose can have your face off as it whips up. Ask me how I know...

Yeah - I'm a bit disappointed this thread wasn't a joke as well...

Edited by macksimus
Guest euro_polo.
someone removed the wires with their handbrake recently, 2 black marks and no cables where there used to be cables....

haha, my favourite trick.

HAHA, i got loads in lowestoft where i live (near great yarmouth) good idea ;) lol

macksimus
^^ D you know this because you had your face circumsised by one? :lol:

i was blessed by being born without foreskin on my face so luckily not :smirk:

haha, my favourite trick.

HAHA, i got loads in lowestoft where i live (near great yarmouth) good idea ;) lol

i did see a taxi going over one as we were putting them down early one morning. the elastic force of the hose (with the clamp still attached to it, completely took out the centre section of his exhaust so i wouldn't recommend it. besides, they're not exactly causing you grief are they (ooh, terrifying black hoses!)

macksimus
Ask me how I know...

Well then?, how DO you know?

he slept with the guy who designed them

gah - it's true - but it was all in the name of research. besides, you're only gay if you push back...

macksimus

jees - you need to get out more. :|

ok, for your benefit: one of the hoses nearly took my eye out but instead just gashed (yes - i said gash) my face when we were putting a set down.

i figured you'd be able to infer how nasty they could be after me saying it cut through a taxi exhaust but i guess some people need things spelling out clearly :retard: :p

Edited by macksimus
Guest walshc

:lol:

I think i should change my avatar to just have writing saying "99% non serious stuff written here" with an arrow pointing right :lol:

I thought youd be able to infer humour by use of smilies, i guess people need things explained more clearly :lol: :-D