skapunk1

brake upgrades for mk1/2

skapunk1

right, 99% done on fitting/tuning my AFH lump now, and as christmas is coming up and mum's pestering me for brake ideas i thought i'd stick some new brakes on as i don't think the 1p sized pads will cope too well with all this new found power :lol:

seen lots of posts aout VWII calipers, how do you go about fitting these to an early MK2, do i just need calipers and disks or will i need other bits as well?

any help would be great, or other possible brake conversions maybe (i will be fitting a master cylinder as soon as another GT turns up at the scrappies!)

edit: what about these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vw-Golf-Gti-Mk2-16v-...=item414b378503

Edited by Gaz

skapunk1

also, while i'm thinking about it, can i upgrade the master cylinder to a larger one before fitting a servo?

bigger brakes and small MC = nasty pedal travel!

Gaz

what type of brakes does it have now? is it the square pad ones? They are very bad, later ones are better. You have 3 choices that aren't too expensive:

1) 239mm Solid: Upgrade to late mk2/all mk3 (except g40) VWI calipers and carriers. This setup has 239mm solid discs as before but better pads (more surface area). Apart from some new discs and pads this shouldn't cost you anything as they aren't worth alot

2) 239mm Vented: Upgrade to VWII calipers with either standard mk3 carriers or G40 carriers. (standard carriers give more wheel clearance). Expect to pay about £50 for a set of calipers. They are fitted to most 80-90s golfs and sciroccos and the polo G40.

3) 256mm Vented: Upgrade to Girling Calipers, which can be sourced from 16v mk2 golfs amongst other cars. (as per your link) You need a very specific carrier for them though. Golf ones won't fit. They have to be from a mid 80s audi 80 or 90. this shape one, not the later ones. Expect to pay £100 or more for the full setup.

I have option 2 on mine.

There aren't any replacement larger master cylinders for the mk2 but apparently the standard one copes suprisingly well even with the girling calipers.

skapunk1

any thoughts on the vauxhall setup with the astra mk2 16v calipers and golf disks?

is there an alternative to the audi 80 carriers?

option 2, are the calipers from the 8v golf GTi?

and the 16v is the girling?

just trying to get my head round which car i need to find for what parts :lol:

if i went with option 3, would it still fit under 14" wheels?

Edited by skapunk1

Gaz

I think VWII calipers are fitted to all mk2 golfs bar the 16v, they are certainly fitted to 8v GTIs.

As far as I know the audi carriers are the only ones you can use. I've No idea about Vauxhall stuff.

skapunk1

excellent, thanks for the help

Renegade440

By far the cheapest option is the Vauxhall 16v Callipers, as long as you can find the correct shoulder bolts and space the callipers a few mill

skapunk1

so the vauxhall calipers are 256mm, the same diameter as the mk2 gti16v?

i was hoping to go with the bigger disks but finding the audi carriers was what put me off

off to the scrappy tomorrow so will see what they've got available but the GM sounds like the best option, bigger is better :D

grungeisdead

research is golden

only 5 posts down in that thread

All GM calipers up until about 5 years ago are interchangeable so you can have 240, 256, 280, 284, 288, 296 and 308mm discs. Something for everyone.

dependant on gm caliper you can run 256 and 280mm vw discs off a 16v mk2 or rado g60 and the like, respectively

skapunk1

wouldn't want to go any bigger than 256mm for now but good to know i've got the option of easily upgrading to something bigger in the future if i wanted to

skapunk1

went to the scrappy today and got some calipers off a vauxhall calibra (2l 16v) disks measure up to 256mm so hopefully they're the right ones

will start a thread after christmas (as they are technicaly a pressie from my mum, and she wants to wrap them up :lol: ) as a sort of "how to" on fitment

Fastclassics_Dan

Have you made any progress on fitting these? I'm considering doing this conversion too.

When you got the calipers and carriers, did you get the mounting bolts as well? If so what length are the GM ones?

I know that M10x12 shoulder bolts are needed to mount the carriers, but I don't know what length without having a set of the original GM bolts to compare with. I'm looking at some calipers on ebay, but they don't come with any bolts.

skapunk1

hey sorry for letting this thread drop to the bottom of beyond :lol:

thinking i might sell the vauxhall setup now and go for the 239mm vented, finding a nice set of 14" wheels is proving way too hard, at least with the 239mm setup i can go with some 13's :lol:

never got round to fitting it as i haven't had the money for the hoses (£13 whole pounds) or the time to take the car off the road for however long it takes to get the brakes on and working

if i do end up fitting the 256mm setup i'll post up a load of pics and a bit of a write up, if not then the setup will be up for sale

grungeisdead
Have you made any progress on fitting these? I'm considering doing this conversion too.

When you got the calipers and carriers, did you get the mounting bolts as well? If so what length are the GM ones?

I know that M10x12 shoulder bolts are needed to mount the carriers, but I don't know what length without having a set of the original GM bolts to compare with. I'm looking at some calipers on ebay, but they don't come with any bolts.

why not read about 5 posts up in this thread, there is a full archived thread on the vw mk1 owners club which has all the information you require.

:roll:

skapunk1

got round to fitting the brakes today, 90% done now, bit of a guide in the tech section

• Like 1

grungeisdead

Couple of nuggest of info regarding 256mm brakes, for hefty braking and clearance for 14"+ wheels.

will NOT clear 13s unless running motorsport-esque wheels (wellers.compos.some 3 pieces splits)

256mm conversion using oem parts

MK1 bolt spacing 256mm carrier: 853 615 125

84-92 Scirocco

85-88 Passat/Santana

83-87 Audi 80/90/Avant/quattro

81-88 Audi Coupe/quattro

256mm conversion using GM parts - all credt goes to manicGTI from the vw mk1 golf owners club and redbaron from the caddy forum

part 1

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?na...pic&t=15014

part 2

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?na...pic&t=17294

Shopping list for the conversion:

VW:

-Mk2 Golf 16V 256mm Vented Discs (Same as Passat etc)

GM:

-90s 16V Spec Calipers and Carriers (with slider bolts etc)

-Matching Pads.

-Matching Vauxhall Front Brake Flexis (Bolt to Caliper with M10x1.25 Banjo Bolts/Copper Washers)

Other:

-Brake Fluid (ho hum!).

-Bolts:

EITHER: Extended M10 Bolts (carriers are thicker) with 12/10mm sleeve, easily made from mild steel tube from B&Q

OR: M12x25 Shoulder Bolts (High tensile, 12.9 spec)

brake set up came on Mk2 Astra 16V, Mk3 Cavalier 16V, Calibra 16V, and possibly mk3 Astra (?). Absolutly tons of them around and shouldn't cost more than ?30-40.

thorpy

Can anyone tell me if they have had any trouble fitting the larger servo into their polo, or can you use the standard servo and just the mk2 16v master cylinder? any help on this would be highly appreciated as I'm looking to do this Vauxhall conversion very soon.

prankstar2003

What is this, a carrier for the girling 54s with a bolt spacing suitable to fit the leg of a polo?

grungeisdead

What is this, a carrier for the girling 54s with a bolt spacing suitable to fit the leg of a polo?

its a 3 piece boneless meal mate

edit: yes as this is a polo site, the information is factually correct, for the topic in hand, which going by the title, is brake upgrades for a mk1/2 (and although not stated - a mk3)

thank you and goodnight

Edited by grungeisdead

prankstar2003

Brilliant, thanks a lot. But where might I find one? I can only seem to locate ones for 280mm brakes, and thats from the caddy site.

Thanks for your help. This may seem simple to you, but the last thing I want is a faulty brake set up, and have them falling off when I'm trundling along! And I' wasn't debating whether its factual or not

Edited by prankstar2003

grungeisdead

the usual places, forums, breakers, ebay.

mrbenpololoon
what type of brakes does it have now? is it the square pad ones? They are very bad, later ones are better. You have 3 choices that aren't too expensive:

1) 239mm Solid: Upgrade to late mk2/all mk3 (except g40) VWI calipers and carriers. This setup has 239mm solid discs as before but better pads (more surface area). Apart from some new discs and pads this shouldn't cost you anything as they aren't worth alot

2) 239mm Vented: Upgrade to VWII calipers with either standard mk3 carriers or G40 carriers. (standard carriers give more wheel clearance). Expect to pay about £50 for a set of calipers. They are fitted to most 80-90s golfs and sciroccos and the polo G40.

3) 256mm Vented: Upgrade to Girling Calipers, which can be sourced from 16v mk2 golfs amongst other cars. (as per your link) You need a very specific carrier for them though. Golf ones won't fit. They have to be from a mid 80s audi 80 or 90. this shape one, not the later ones. Expect to pay £100 or more for the full setup.

I have option 2 on mine.

There aren't any replacement larger master cylinders for the mk2 but apparently the standard one copes suprisingly well even with the girling calipers.

I'm also going to go with option 2 i have got some calipers coming what else will i need for this. also what model car do i need to look for when i come to buy new discs pad ect cheers

Gaz

VWII calipers can be used with either vented or solid discs, the pads are thicker on the solid discs setup. I imagine they are the same, VWII calipers on the mk3 golf are the same, and the mk4 polo's based on that.