skapunk1

Vauxhall 256mm brake upgrade for mk1/2/3

skapunk1

finaly got round to getting started on the brakes today, not finished yet but the bulk of the work is done now, drivers side took around 1 1/2 hours, mostly trying to work out where i needed to cut the dust guard, and drilling the grub screw out of the disc (drill battery died so i had to use my old hand wound one :lol: ) passenger side however, only took me 15-20 minutes.

Here's what i've done so far:

Step 1, remove wheel, caliper/carrier and disc

if you need instructions for this part, you really shouldn't be attempting to fit brakes yourself :lol:

you may need to drill the grub screw out to get the disc off, don't drill all the way through though, you only need to go maybe 5mm down, then the head of the screw should come off when you bash the disc with a hammer

DSCF0158.jpg

Step 2, hold the carrier (it's a lot easier if you just hold up the carrier, it gets a bit heavy if you hold up the caliper too!) up to the hub, notice anything wrong? the dust guard that sits behind the disc needs cutting slightly so that the carrier fits

DSCF0159.jpg

doesn't need a lot trimming off, might take a bit of trial and error but once you get it right...

DSCF0160-1.jpg

Step 3, assemble the caliper and pads, you need to slide the caliper onto the carrier before putting in the pads, clip in the inside pad first (has 3 prongs on the back that clip into the piston) then fit the outer pad, finaly put on the clip

DSCF0161.jpg

Step 4, put the disc onto the hub and fit the little grub screw (it might not seem important, but having just fitted mine up without the grub screw (yes, i will be going back and fitting them when i have some) it's a royal pain in the arse to get the calipers on, then even harder to get the wheels back on)

DSCF0162.jpg

Step 5, fit the caliper and carrier onto the hub, nice and easy, slide it over the disc, stick the bolts in and tighten it up

DSCF0163.jpg

then, i put the wheels back on as i don't have any hoses at the minute, will update this when i finish, hopefully sunday/early next week

DSCF0164-1.jpg

it's a bloody tight fit under my MSW's i'll tell you that :lol: had to take the weights off the inside as they were catching on the caliper, i can't get the tip of a flat head screw driver between the caliper and wheel :shock:

hope this is of some use to you lot, i can honestly say, it was piss easy to do (so far, not sure they work yet :lol: ) but if i find any problems once they're all plumbed in i shall let you know and show you how i got round them

Edited by skapunk1

skapunk1

noone interested then? :lol:

tobyk

This should be made a sticky, never realised it was quite an easy mod. No custom spacers or anything?

Iscariot

I guess it's not gonna go under 13's?

steveo3002

can you post up what model the calipers come off..what discs etc

and do they go under std wheels...I'm thinking no lol

Polo6n1600i

Known about this for years!

The VW bolts are M10's (?) and the Vauxhall ones are M12's (?) - Meaning that they slide right through the vauxhall caliper to the hub holes - sometimes washers inside and outside of the VW bolts maybe required - and also an adapter sleeve with 1mm thick walls to take up the difference in the diameter.

2nd point is the brake hoses are different kins on the ends - i'm sure the vauxhall ones are banjo bolts???

Correct me if i'm wrong??

I posted this up on porka.net, and i'm sure I posted it up on here somewhere before!

Polo6n1600i

They are off any of the higher spec Cavaliers & mk2 astra GTe's!

Guest mk3 coupe

i believe 256 come from corsa sports? i had a 1.6 16v corsa sport with 256mm on as standard. next ones down would be 1400 16v sports which i think are 246 mm.

polopete

Skapunk did you use the M10 bolts in the M12 hole or make up some tube spacers/correct shoulder bolts.

mr. clive

good skills man, sticky this up :thumbsup:

skapunk1

i used m12/m10 shoulder bolts from ebay, 12mm shaft for the carrier, with a 10mm thread for the hub, 25mm total length is just right as the shoulder is almost exactly the same length as the carrier so no washers were needed to get a tight fit

these ones:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12MM-M10-X-25-ALLEN-...=item439b68f7d9

as for the hoses, yes the vauxhall calipers use a banjo bolt, yet to see how easy it is to fit the vauxhall hoses onto the VW hard lines, that's the next step!

calipers came from a 2.0 16v calibra, but most 16v astras, cavaliers, vectras and calibras use the same calipers, in fact most GM cars use the same calipers, but different size carriers depending on the size of the disc, there's a thread in the FAQ about brake upgrades with a link to a thread listing most of the cars the calipers come on

discs are 256mm by 22mm (i think) vented drilled and grooved for a mk2 golf GTi 16v so no problems fitting those (unless your grub screws snap off like mine did :mad: )

as for spacers, as i've not got them plumbed in yet i don't know if they need moving a bit one way or the other, they *should* be self centering so in theory, shouldn't need any spacers on, another thing i need to check once the hoses are on and bled though

definatly won't fit under 13's :lol: can't get a flat head screw driver between the caliper and the inside of my 14's!

tbh i was expecting it all to be a lot harder to fit, everything went on nice and smooth, no problems other than the dust guard so far!

when i get round to fitting the hoses i'll take one of the calipers off again and take a load more photos, ran out of space on my camera when i took this lot so i had to prioritise :lol: if you want pics of any specific bit let me know and i'll try and get some close ups

Yeti
good skills man, sticky this up :thumbsup:

I'm just holding off doing that whilst questions get asked and answered.

tobyk

I wonder if this is maybe a cheaper way to 4 pots on a Polo.... surely aftermarket Vauxhall bits would be cheaper to get hold of as there's more of them modded for performance?

grungeisdead

vauxhall banjo bolts brake flexis fit directly onto the vw solid brake lines.

I've posted the link up to the vw mk1 golf archive with this full thread up about 70 times on this forum over the last few years, but yet noone reads it and then just asks stupid questions

link :-

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?na...pic&t=15014

thank you for doing a write up tho!

it wont fit under 13s unless they are very low offset or motorsport wheels

you need shoulder bolts to fit correctly or as stated a sleeve although high tensile shoulder bolts are the way forward

you can use any GM caliper, dependant on the calipers governs your disc choice, there are a plethora of sizes included 288mm and over 300 for insano stoppage.

and toby a single pistoned caliper albeit it relatively large is never going to be a match for 4 pots!

Edited by grungeisdead

tobyk
vauxhall banjo bolts brake flexis fit directly onto the vw solid brake lines.

I've posted the link up to the vw mk1 golf archive with this full thread up about 70 times on this forum over the last few years, but yet noone reads it and then just asks stupid questions

link :-

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?na...pic&t=15014

thank you for doing a write up tho!

it wont fit under 13s unless they are very low offset or motorsport wheels

you need shoulder bolts to fit correctly or as stated a sleeve although high tensile shoulder bolts are the way forward

you can use any GM caliper, dependant on the calipers governs your disc choice, there are a plethora of sizes included 288mm and over 300 for insano stoppage.

and toby a single pistoned caliper albeit it relatively large is never going to be a match for 4 pots!

I meant buying 4 pots designed for Vauxhalls, probably more about 2nd hand than for VWs :)

grungeisdead

true say boyo. definatly worth some ebay searching to have a looksie. in a mk1 or 2 youd definatly need a remote servo if running 4 pots so its extra considerations to take into account.

wonder what the pedal travel is like with the larger pistoned calipers for 256mm and above brakes on a servoless mk2

thorpy

Can anyone tell me if they have had to fit the larger servo into their polo, or can you use the standard servo and just the mk2 16v master cylinder? any help on this would be highly appreciated as I'm looking to do this Vauxhall conversion very soon.

thorpy
DSCF0163.jpg

Does the entire pad sit on the disc because there seems to be alot of free space between the caliper and centre of the disc (if that makes sense)

thorpy

Oh and just to let people know they do fit under 14" Pslots JUST!

4779314201_5fd83ae9f3_z.jpg

Edited by Thorpy

Guest Oli_morris

has anyone who has these brakes fitted needed to uprate the M/C on a mk2?

The pedal travel on standard calipers is AWFUL in my car, or is that just poorly bled?

thorpy
has anyone who has these brakes fitted needed to uprate the M/C on a mk2?

The pedal travel on standard calipers is AWFUL in my car, or is that just poorly bled?

I'm upgrading to a mk2 golf GTi 16v MC ill be doing it next week all being well! ill let you know how i get on with pics all the way!

Jake
DSCF0163.jpg

Does the entire pad sit on the disc because there seems to be alot of free space between the caliper and centre of the disc (if that makes sense)

.... i was thinking this? I'm thinking this may be a far cheaper route than audi/vw one....

stumpymk2coupe

pointless conversion as there is a lot of friction area on that disc not being used.

stumpymk2coupe

mk2 golf gti calipers 25quid each from MF and discs 10er a piece. much much better and direct replacement.