StringsOnFire

Remote Central Locking on 9N with Original VW Parts

StringsOnFire

Hi

I've had my polo for a few months now, and I've spent plenty of time thinking about upgrades. I definitely want remote central locking, as I always find myself going back to check if I remembered to lock it. I've looked into kits online, they're not expensive as I already have central locking, but I don't want to risk cheap components on ebay that could break. I also want to use the original VW flip key. I'd also like an alarm.

There's an alarm, either cobra or Viper, that works off the central locking, so I could have an alarm activated along with the lock, but I'd need the remote facility in the first place. Perhaps it's a bit obsessive, but I'd really like a flip key to save space in my pocket! Hence not wanted an alarm with remote central locking included.

If my Polo already had remote central locking, I could have the alarm fitted. but it doesn't. so is it possible, rather than buying a 3rd party system, to get and install VW parts for the original remote central locking system? I'd have thought it would just be one extra module or something, but of course i'm not sure at all.

Any help much appreciated.

StringsOnFire

That's the problem. It's exactly what I'd want, but it's £50. I don't trust it. I'd buy it if it said clifford or cobra on the side, but I dpn't want to have to rrip it out and replace it 6 months down the line, hence my effort workaround to use VW parts and a decent alarm...

dirt_monkey

I bought a set of solenoids by those people a year ago and haven't had any trouble with them since.

StringsOnFire

i'm worried that not buying a well established an respected brand would mean I have my alarm going off when it shouldn't and not going off when it should :s

dixy

i personally, and alot of people on here recomend this kit,

i have these fitted to three of my cars for over a year now and have not had any problems whatsoever.

I guess the only down side is that the actual flip key feels cheap and not well built, but for that price you cant really complain.

Pretty interested to see if it is possible to retrofit the oem remote unit though

StringsOnFire

I think I'll wait til next month when my exams are over and give the local vw garage a call, see if they can tell me anything... and if not i'll go for the rclick :)

greid

I didn't fit a kit -- I wanted an OEM solution. I bought the following parts:

1. Replacement central locking unit with remote receiver (mine was part #6Q0 959 433 E from a Skoda Fabia) -- £15 on eBay but usually a bit more expensive

2. 3-button remote fob (part #1JO 959 753 DA) -- £15 on eBay

3. Replacement key blade cut for a fob key from a photo of my existing key -- £7 from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/3dautokeys/

4. Transponder for new key -- either reuse one from your existing key or buy one for about £3 from Hickleys.com

Total cost about £40, no cutting or splicing of wires required. Job done in about half an hour.

The new unit needs to be coded with VAG-COM for the number of doors in the car, and whether you want selective unlocking, automatic locking, automatic unlocking etc etc. It is basically plug-and-play if you have a 4-door car and get a unit also from a 4-door car. If you have a 2-door car it probably doesn't matter whether you get the new unit from a 2- or a 4-door car.

Programming the fob is simple enough -- you need two keys. From memory, you put one key in the ignition and switch the electrics on. Then use the other key (with fob) to lock the driver's side door. Then press unlock on the remote, wait a couple of seconds and press it again. That should be it.

Don't know anything about the alarm though I'm afraid!

StringsOnFire

Thank you so much for that! I went into the garage yesterday, and the parts guy said it was impossible! I thought he was wrong, but with no guidance I was about to give up! Few questions then if you will:

1. Replacement central locking unit with remote receiver - I've seen a few on ebay, no worries buying one used is there?

2. 3-button remote fob (part #1JO 959 753 DA) - Where do I get the rest of the key from?

3. Replacement key blade cut for a fob key from a photo of my existing key -- I checked the URL, but they have no items in their shop, are they out of business now? :s

4. Transponder for new key -- either reuse one from your existing key or buy one for about £3 from Hickleys.com - could you give me the model number of the one I need please?

5. Can I code the unit myself and how? I have a 2 door, and I'd like to be able to program the locking modes.

6. Programming the fob is simple enough -- you need two keys - so I put my old key in the ignition?

7. The alarm is the Cat 2-1 Compact Alarm 3868 by Cobra. It uses the original remote locking system, hence me wanting the oem setup.

8. I'm not sure where the ECU is. Guess i can find the information on here? Was thinking of buying the Haynes manual, maybe I should use that.

9. We are both talking about the 02-05 9n right? Did you have the S model too?

Thanks for your help :)

greid

1. I bought a used one from a Skoda Fabia (same part #). It's worked fine for me.

2. You'll need the flip blade mechanism too, you can get a blank one from eBay and replace the blade part with the one you get cut.

3. Don't know -- I contacted the seller privately and asked.

4. The Hickleys part # is AKTP2. Hickleys sell all the other key parts too, but you might get them cheaper on eBay.

5. Yes, you can do this yourself with VAG-COM.

6. Yes.

7. Don't know anything about alarms, sorry.

8. The central locking ECU is above the driver's footwell, near the brake pedal. It's a bit tricky to get out but it is possible.

9. Yes, I'm talking about the 02-05 9N. I did this on a 2004 Twist model.

StringsOnFire

Ok thanks again :)

I'll start getting parts together and take photos as I go for a guide. Erm, one more question. What do I do about VAG-COM? I've had trouble finding a lot of info about it. What version do you use for a 9n, and what hardware should I buy? Seems too cheap on ebay...

Thanks!

dixy

would this be the same on the 2006 9n3 model? As they are pretty much the same thing arent they

greid
I'll start getting parts together and take photos as I go for a guide. Erm, one more question. What do I do about VAG-COM? I've had trouble finding a lot of info about it. What version do you use for a 9n, and what hardware should I buy? Seems too cheap on ebay...

VAG-COM/VCDS has saved my bacon more times than I can count. In my book it's essential.

For a pre-2005 Polo you'll need a K-line diagnostic cable. The cables on eBay are knock-offs but most will work with the shareware version (now called VCDS Lite). I'm not sure whether you can recode modules with the shareware version or if you will need to pay for registration.

greid
would this be the same on the 2006 9n3 model? As they are pretty much the same thing arent they

ETKA shows the same part numbers for the control unit for a 2006 9N3 as it does for a 9N. I wouldn't like to say for certain but my guess is that the procedure is exactly the same.

StringsOnFire

So what would you recommend I get if not a cheapy on ebay? Could you give me a link please? :)

greid
So what would you recommend I get if not a cheapy on ebay? Could you give me a link please? :)

The cheap ones are OK -- I bought one like this link on eBay. You may have to pay Ross-Tech $99 to unlock the shareware version of the software, but it's well worth it.

StringsOnFire

ok so i've ordered a VAG-COM cable and downloaded VCDS-Lite. I've found an ECU I might buy. I also ordered the Haynes Manual.. figured I'll probably need with all the upgrades I have in mind.

So I think all I need is the key. I'm a little confused here. So I need the fob, the key, and the transponder. I can program the fob as you described, and get a key cut, but can I program the transponder myself? (the transponder is the chip in the key for the immobiliser right?)

Rather than the above, can I not buy a used key on ebay and reuse the fob and transponder?

Also, how does the transponder work? Does it need to be touching the metal of the key? Or is it RF?

Thanks again!

Edited by makeluv247

greid
ok so i've ordered a VAG-COM cable and downloaded VCDS-Lite. I've found an ECU I might buy. I also ordered the Haynes Manual.. figured I'll probably need with all the upgrades I have in mind.

So I think all I need is the key. I'm a little confused here. So I need the fob, the key, and the transponder. I can program the fob as you described, and get a key cut, but can I program the transponder myself? (the transponder is the chip in the key for the immobiliser right?)

Rather than the above, can I not buy a used key on ebay and reuse the fob and transponder?

Also, how does the transponder work? Does it need to be touching the metal of the key? Or is it RF?

Thanks again!

The Haynes manual, if I recall correctly, lists an incorrect location for the central locking ECU. Ignore it -- I promise you it's in the driver's footwell!

Yes, you need the fob, the key and the transponder. The transponder is indeed a small chip for the immobiliser which looks a bit like a small glass capsule (like a pill). It fits in a slot inside the key and is an RF chip.

You can buy a used key on eBay and reuse the fob, but the transponder cannot be recoded -- it's a write-once RFID chip, and once matched to a vehicle can't be re-matched.

You can program the transponder yourself with VAG-COM using the standard VW key matching process for an Immo 3 cluster, which is described somewhere on Ross-Tech's website. In order to do this, however, you'll need the vehicle's immobiliser PIN. If you don't have this already (apparently it was supplied on a card with the original set of keys) then you'll need a Vagtacho cable to read it -- VAG-COM can't read the EEPROM in the instrument cluster directly, and dealers can't give them out. They're about £25 (see link), so might be cheaper if you can borrow one from somebody nearby. I'll happily read your PIN for you, but I'm in Swansea.

Failing that and if you already have two keys, just swap the transponder from one of your existing keys into the new key/fob. You won't need to do any key matching then, it'll "just work".

StringsOnFire

Yeah, that's a bit much for something I'll only use once! Suppose I'll have to use the one from the spare key, unless you know anyone in Hainault, Essex! How would I go about finding someone with the cable?

I'm also having trouble finding a remote. There are plenty of them on ebay, but I'm not sure what to go for. Are the last 2 letters on the part number significant? Because they vary from listing to listing, even though the rest of the part number is the same.

EDIT: after finding THIS PAGE I take it the only key I can use is the DA one? One of the guys selling keys on ebay offered me an included transponder for an extra £15, pointing to the 15.80 one on hickleys. but that's for a can-bus car, so is he wrong?

Also, if I buy the vag tacho cable, what one do I want? 2.5 or 3.01?

Thanks

Edited by makeluv247

StringsOnFire

Just got VCDS-Lite working. My current ECU is 6Q0 959 433 G. Definitely can't get remote central locking on this unit? And what about the F? Or can I only use the E model?

Thanks

Daniel

Edited by makeluv247

greid
EDIT: after finding THIS PAGE I take it the only key I can use is the DA one? One of the guys selling keys on ebay offered me an included transponder for an extra £15, pointing to the 15.80 one on hickleys. but that's for a can-bus car, so is he wrong?

You want the DA part -- that's the fob part (i.e. the remote transmitter). I'm not quite sure which transponder you're referring to.

Vagtacho 2.5 will do.

Just got VCDS-Lite working. My current ECU is 6Q0 959 433 G. Definitely can't get remote central locking on this unit? And what about the F? Or can I only use the E model?

The 'G' model physically does not have an RF receiver, so there's nothing you can do with it. You could use the 'F' model but then you'd need a different fob as the receiver frequency is different. The "DA" key is the counterpart to the "E" model.

StringsOnFire

Just as well. I've ordered a complete DA fob and mechanism, including fitted transponder, for £20, with a separate VW logo to stick on after I get a new key, ordered for £6.50. £26.50 for the key in all. I guess that's not too bad, but not great either.

I ordered the ECU this morning, the E model, for £25 inc postage off ebay, used but tested working.

So once I have it all here, I swap the ECUs (do I unplug the battery beforehand?) and plug in with vcds-lite. what do I need to change? I'm kind of a noob with this program. I played about for 20 mins, but I'm not sure what changes. I suppose I go to the ECU, and when it connects I click something under advance and change some settings to make it work with my car?

I don't suppose a normal locksmith would have vagtacho themselves for key transponder programming, or you think they'll all send me to a main dealer?

thanks

daniel

greid
So once I have it all here, I swap the ECUs (do I unplug the battery beforehand?) and plug in with vcds-lite. what do I need to change? I'm kind of a noob with this program. I played about for 20 mins, but I'm not sure what changes. I suppose I go to the ECU, and when it connects I click something under advance and change some settings to make it work with my car?

I don't suppose a normal locksmith would have vagtacho themselves for key transponder programming, or you think they'll all send me to a main dealer?

Before you do anything write down the coding for the existing central convenience unit. Disconnect the battery and swap the units. Then just recode your new unit with the same soft coding as the old unit.

Don't know if you'll find a locksmith with Vagtacho. You may be able to find somebody who can copy the RFID tag, though. I'm not really sure -- I already had the Vagtacho cable so I just did it myself.

StringsOnFire

what do you mean write down the coding? you mean all the settings? what buttons do i click to access them once i'm conneted to the ECU with VCDS lite?

any chance of a quick tutorial how do to this as well as using vagtacho to program a new key?

I've ordered the v3 cable on ebay (HERE)

thanks!

Edited by makeluv247

StringsOnFire

vag-tacho cable, DA fob with transponder, and new ECU have all arrived, so just waiting on the key blade which should be here tomorrow!

I've searched a few forums on swapping ECUs. My old keys will still work right? For swapping the ECU, I have to code it to work with my immobiliser? The guide on Rosstech says I need my SKU plus some other bits of info, but I can't get hem anywhere now as dealers use a new system that doesn't show them anything and communicates online with a main server. So how did you swap the ECUs without bugging up your immobiliser?

Edited by makeluv247