StringsOnFire

Remote Central Locking on 9N with Original VW Parts

dixy

quick question,

Does this allow the boot to be opened with the button?, or does that need something extra?

-also, do the indicators flash when unlocked, or can it be enabled via vagcom?

Thanks

StringsOnFire

The boot unlocks and locks with the unlock and lock buttons on the remote. I should think the boot unlock button also works. I'll test it tomorrow. The indicators do flash when locked/unlocked, this is a setting on the ECU that can be adjusted by VCDS-Lite. Gimme a couple of days to finish the guide. Do you have a 9N3 or a 6N? If you have a 9N3, would you mind posting the model number of your current convenience unit (46) to give us an idea of whether this upgrade is possible for your car?

Thanks

greid
Do you have a 9N3 or a 6N? If you have a 9N3, would you mind posting the model number of your current convenience unit (46) to give us an idea of whether this upgrade is possible for your car?

The central locking ECU is the same part for a 9N3. That part of the installation will be the same.

The trouble will be getting the immobiliser PIN to match the new key: 9N3 vehicles have instrument clusters which can't be read by Vagtacho 2.5. Of course, VW can match the key for you but I dread to think what they charge -- it won't be cheap.

As an aside: I put a 9N3 cluster (with full multi-functional display) from a German car into my (UK) 9N, and I had to disassemble the whole cluster, solder wires onto the serial EEPROM and reprogram the immobiliser (and speedometer needle map) data manually. There are benefits to a degree in computer science! It was a lot of hassle but it does look good: mfcluster.jpg

StringsOnFire

That is pretty cool. I'm at uni end of this year, going to Reading to study Cybernetics, so maybe i'll save an instrument cluster swap for then. but very cool :)

dixy

yep, i have both a 6n and 9n3, but i will be doing this on the 9n3.

i will deffinatly post up the model number when i start doing this.

@ greid.

that looks awesome, did you put those rings on , or is that standard on higher spec cars?, also i have the speedo without the screen, is it possible to convert to it.

sorry for the hijack

greid
that looks awesome, did you put those rings on , or is that standard on higher spec cars?, also i have the speedo without the screen, is it possible to convert to it.

The rings are part of the cluster as supplied by VW. I have another 9N with aftermarket chrome rings fitted to the speedo, and they don't look as good (IMO).

It's possible to convert any 9N/9N3 to use the speedo with the screen, but it isn't cheap -- the part cost me £150 (incl delivery) from a breaker in Germany. That said, VW will charge £450-£600 for a new cluster, plus the cost of programming the immobiliser.

As for central locking (to keep things a bit on topic!) if anybody has managed to retrofit the OEM alarm horn / interior monitoring sensors I'd be very interested to hear from them.

StringsOnFire
As for central locking (to keep things a bit on topic!) if anybody has managed to retrofit the OEM alarm horn / interior monitoring sensors I'd be very interested to hear from them.

me too!

Guest dowdy

i dont want to gate crash your conversation but could you tell me if the ecu can be turned on and off .The reason i ask is because mine is an imported car polo gti and the central locking does not work but the key flashes i was told it was turned off for the s v a test what dya think

dixy

Sounds a bit dodgy to me, why would the ecu need to be disabled to pass an sva test ?

Both the central locking and the imobiliser are not covered under the.sva test criteria, so maybe somebody had changed one of the modules and hadn't inigrated it correctly ?

StringsOnFire

no I don't think you can. you can unplug it (but unplug the battery first) or just replace it with a used one off ebay. search for the part number

StringsOnFire

oh by the way, is there any way to make the car unlock at once by pulling a handle? in my previous car, a peugeot 206, when the car was locked, i could unlock it by pulling the driver's inside door handle in one, so I wouldn't have to press unlock or, in the case of the polo, open the handle twice, once unlock, twice open door. I ask because i turn my lights off/remove my stereo face/turn off my ipod every time i finish a journey, by which time my passenger is pulling their door handle as hard as they can in confusion of it not opening the door (the car is locked!) and I'd like to avoid it before they rip it off!

I think the german excuse for electronics is actually really, really poor. the car is a nicer driver than the 206, but I had a mid range model then too, without air con, and yet I had a multifunction display (better than you get in the top end polos!) that linked to the stereo (which had a control stalk by the steering wheel) and told me what door was open, or why it was beeping at me. AND it already had remote central locking. None of that in the polo, a 'better' car. what have i missed? :s

Edited by makeluv247

dixy

I have checked my Current module and it's model number is

HLo 6q0 959 433 H

Does anyone know if this has a reciever in it?

I have just got a module off of eBay

Model number HLO 6Q0 959 433 E , how would I go about programing it as it came from a 3 door and mine is a 5 .

In vag-com when I click login It asks for a code, is this something to do with programming, if so where do I get it from?

Thanks

dixy

Thanks

Paddy2bsure
oh by the way, is there any way to make the car unlock at once by pulling a handle? in my previous car, a peugeot 206, when the car was locked, i could unlock it by pulling the driver's inside door handle in one, so I wouldn't have to press unlock or, in the case of the polo, open the handle twice, once unlock, twice open door. I ask because i turn my lights off/remove my stereo face/turn off my ipod every time i finish a journey, by which time my passenger is pulling their door handle as hard as they can in confusion of it not opening the door (the car is locked!) and I'd like to avoid it before they rip it off!

You could try the auto lock / unlock function, i.e. the doors lock automatically when you're going over 15kmh, and unlock when you take the key out of the ignition. I've been reading up...

Using VCDS-Lite

Connect to ECU 46 Central Convenience> Settings> Adaptation 10> Enter 04 in channel number, and choose whether to set to 0 (deactive) or 1 (active). Save this setting, and log out in the normal way.

I found a complete list of the settings (in German) online for the entire car, which covers every VAG COM (VCDS) setting. Link: http://de.openobd.org/vw/polo_9n.htm#46

There are a lot of settings there - don't change & save without noting the original value somewhere. Things like the degree of steering power assistance, how long the boot release button needs to be pressed on the keyfob before it opens, etc.

If anyone needs any help with translation just shout.

HTH

Edited by Paddy2bsure

StringsOnFire

yeah I've done that, can't remember if it was in the guide or not though. problem is, my key's still in the ignition when passengers try to get out the car, and I like to keep my radio on while I remove my phone from the dock, bottle from the holder, ipod from the connector, and so on (lots of stuff), so they end up pulling the door handle extra hard in their confusion. but thanks anyway, and I'l have a look at that site, sounds promising :)

Paddy2bsure

Cheers likewise for your guide - I've done the first half this morning - programming the new keys.

The only thing I would clarify is that you need to have all keys with you when you're attempting this - you wipe all existing keys from the system, then re-add them (if you want) with the new key/keys. So in my case I had 1 old key, then 0 (save), then 3 (save) - then I added the 3 keys in turn, one after the other, as if they were all new. No new immobilisers required in the old key, it re-programms it using the guide.

I'm replacing the ECU this afternoon - I'll post later how that goes!

Thanks again for all your help.

Paddy2bsure

Did the ECU this afternoon, not too bad I guess! First thing to do is twist the clutch pedal switch about 45 degrees on its holder & take it out - you then see the ECU much more clearly. I broke the clips; afterwards you see that you might have some hope of sliding the thing sideways. Anyhow new one went back in, programmed it up, and the process went exactly as you described with keys etc. Excellent!

Apart from the clutch pedal switch, the main advice I'd give you would be with the ECU itself. If you have a 3 door Polo, you can use the ECU from any 3 or 5 door Polo, Fabia, Ibiza etc with the part numbers above.

If you have a 5 door Polo, the ECU has got to be from a 5 door car - it has an extra plug compared to the 3 door cars. put a 5 door ECU (from a Fabia) in my 3 door Polo - works perfectly.

HTH

S.Kayani

Can anyone help with this? Will pay if necessary. Bought the control module, key, had it cut.

Just need someone to get the SKC from my key, clone it onto the new key and fit the control module?

Tried vag tacho cables off eBay. Had no luck :-(

Cheers

dixy

You can just swap over the chip from the old key, you don't need to use vag tacho etc. As for the unit itself mine just plugged in and worked without needing anything doing to it. I would plug it in and test it,ifit doesn't work as you want them remove it and go about getting the skc.

I have read of others getting results by first selecting connect to any tacho then noting what one it connects to then disconnect.select the right one from the drop down menu and connect. If it comes up ass access denied keep pressing connect usually by the tenth try it connects.same goes with the read pin button.

Also, physically changong the unit is reasonably easy you just need to get on your back and slide your head up under the dash. :)

Good luck.