Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

1.4 16v AFH on ITB's

Knight5651

Hi, I've recently baught a set of R1 throttle bodies on a custon AFH inlet manifold off my mate. Had a look around and been advised that my best bet would be to run a standalone ecu, emerald k3, megasquirt etc.

I've spoken to people that sell the megasquirt and have spoken direct to emerald as i wanted info regarding the wiring and sensors, the guy at emerald said that if possable i should try and use a crank trigger and coil pack set-up aposed to the dizzy as it would allow for better mapping and fine tuning with the ignition side of things.

Am i able to do this, maybe use the ignition set-up off a mk5 1.4 16v or the gti? Any way of doing this or is it realy not worth it?

Just trying to get some info at the mo

Cheers Alex

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knight5651

• SkodaBoy

• D0NK

• grungeisdead

Hi, I've recently baught a set of R1 throttle bodies on a custon AFH inlet manifold off my mate. Had a look around and been advised that my best bet would be to run a standalone ecu, emerald k3, megasquirt etc.

I've spoken to people that sell the megasquirt and have spoken direct to emerald as i wanted info regarding the wiring and sensors, the guy at emerald said that if possable i should try and use a crank trigger and coil pack set-up aposed to the dizzy as it would allow for better mapping and fine tuning with the ignition side of things.

Am i able to do this, maybe use the ignition set-up off a mk5 1.4 16v or the gti? Any way of doing this or is it realy not worth it?

Just trying to get some info at the mo

Cheers Alex

If you are running R1 ITB's then you will already be running standalone management. Most decent management systems come ready for different spark applications. They are right in saying that coil pack is the way to go as it allows complete control in the mapping of the ignition. It does mean using a crank sensor which can be easily done.

To sum it up, you are putting itbs on, using standalone management, its only part of the fitting and mapping process to use coil pack and crank trigger setup.

SkodaBoy

you don't have to use a crank tigger for the emerald k3 system you can use the hall effect switch as a main trigger if you are sticking with using the standard dizzy, but if you are going to use a coilpack then you will need a crank sensor and the hall effect switch. also using sequential injection requires a crank sensor too so it may be better just to add one on there.. you can fit a polo gti crank sensor to the afh engine but it's a gearbox/clutch/flywheel out job, the polo gti crank sensor is incorporated into the rear crankshaft oil seal/housing and they cost about £100 to buy from vw.

there may be better/cheaper options for you, you could make your own trigger. and just mount it on the auxillary belt pulley somehow. if you use megasquirt you wont be able to use the polo gti crank sensor anyway because the trigger pattern is not supported on that system, the vw crank sensors are all bosch 60-2 triggers with 85deg BTDC trigger reference, and the megasquirt system is designed to use a ford 36-1 crank trigger.

try these guys for universal 36-1 trigger discs and kits trigger wheels

Knight5651

Ok thanks for the info, i think ill will try and convert to a coil pack if i can and prob go with fitting the gti crank sensor as the engine isnt in the car yet so it shouldnt be to much trouble.

What do i do as far as the coil pack its self, which one would be best to use a gti one or see if i can find a suitable aftermarket one?

And what about fitting it, would i have to blank off where the dizzy goes?

Alex

megasquirt will run a 60-2 trigger fine, you just need to set it up correctly, they are just talking about running ford edis which uses a crank sensor and a 36-1 trigger.

Knight5651

Thanks for all the info so far, anyone got anything on what coil pack to use and what to do with where the dizzy fits?

Alex

I have a couple of the Corsa coilpacks with the integral amplifiers. Saves having high current switching inside the Megasquirt.

megasquirt will run a 60-2 trigger fine, you just need to set it up correctly

ah ok, i wasn't aware of this, it's been a long time since i've bothered with megasquirt, he early versions certainly didn't support 60-2 triggers, they must have changed them a lot

yes the new daughter chips will support a crap load of stuff, coil on plugs that can be triggered by 60-2 trigger wheels nos staging, it even has outputs to engage vvt systems or shift lights. and if your lucky anuff to get it from the states and make the system its onl £160.

Knight5651

Ok cheers for the info, anyone got any thurts on what coil pack to use and what to do with the dizzy lol :? ?

Alex

grungeisdead

blank off the dizzy with a plate

i have a coil for sale you can use, was removed from my 1.6 16v lupo gti engine that was running emerald management

i suggest you do some serious research before considering this, its not difficult, but it is expensive, but there is alot of information out there to aid you, suggest reading up on club lupo and club gti for some top notch info on running aftermarket engine management.

i also have a flywheel crank sensor from a polo gti engine going spare, had a 60-2 trigger wheel, and appropriate crank sensor but unfortunatly i binned them a while back!

the ITB's you've got used to belong to me ;) =D

Knight5651
blank off the dizzy with a plate

i have a coil for sale you can use, was removed from my 1.6 16v lupo gti engine that was running emerald management

i suggest you do some serious research before considering this, its not difficult, but it is expensive, but there is alot of information out there to aid you, suggest reading up on club lupo and club gti for some top notch info on running aftermarket engine management.

i also have a flywheel crank sensor from a polo gti engine going spare, had a 60-2 trigger wheel, and appropriate crank sensor but unfortunatly i binned them a while back!

the ITB's you've got used to belong to me ;) =D

Ahh was going to send you a pm at some point lol, baught them off my mate matt who said he had them off you :-D

Ill have all of the bits uve got going that ill need if you are intrested in selling? drop me a pm or ill send you one later when i get home, I've got to be quick at the mo lol.

I've done a fair bit of research online and think I'm going to go with the emerald, presume ill be using a simular set-up to what u were using

Alex

grungeisdead

the emerald setup was sold when i bought the car, but i still got some bits with it, drop me a pm later and ill sort out the bits i have, that would be useful for you.

giorgio_gt can help set up the emerald if you pay him in deepthroat