StringsOnFire

Guide: How To Install OEM Remote Central Locking In A Polo 9N With Original Parts

StringsOnFire

EDIT: Read the comments too! Lots of members have posted additional information. If I ever have time I'll update the guide to include it. Thanks

A guide as titled. Also available to download as a word document, I'll attach it tonight.

Installing OEM Remote Central Locking In A VW Polo 9N 02 - 05 (Also 9N3, see comments for differences)

This guide is for installing Remote Central Locking in a Polo 9N with only original VAG parts, no 3rd party rubbish, by StringsOnFire. Thanks go to Greid on the ClubPolo forum for guiding me through the process.

Introduction
After a lot of research, I still couldn’t find a decent Remote Central Locking kit for my car, a 9N Polo 04. I’d seen flip keys before, and decided on getting one if I could, to save pocket space (and they’re cool, dah). The problem is all of the Remote Central Locking kits are cheap, and so are the fobs. Not cool. So I posted on ClubPolo.co.uk about OEM Remote Central Locking, and the day I was about to give up after no luck at the dealers, Greid responded and has since put up with all my questions, having already done the upgrade himself. So this is me giving back to the Polo community. Hope it helps!

Requirements
• Car
o This works on a Volkswagen Polo 9N, 02 - 05. It may work on a 9N3, but I can’t confirm it. If you’re interested, check part numbers and see if they’re the same.
• VCDS-Lite (I paid £13 on eBay)
o Diagnostic Software by Ross-Tech, successor of VAG-COM
o You need a FULL license to make changes (Google is your friend)
o You’ll need a K-Line Diagnostics Cable. Search eBay for ‘VAG-COM’
• VagTacho (I paid £23.50 on eBay)
o This does things VCDS-Lite can’t, such as getting the immobiliser PIN
o Get the cable on eBay (it’s not the same as the VAG-COM cable)
o Versions 2.5 and 3.01 are both fine, but I recommend 3.01, which works for a few more cars and has a better driver (no COM emulation)
• Remote Central Locking ECU (I paid £25 on eBay)
o Part #6Q0 959 433 E
o Mine was used from a Skoda Fabia
• 3-Button Flip Blade Remote (I paid £20 on eBay)
o FOB and flip blade mechanism. Easier to buy as one
o Part #1JO 959 753 DA (MUST be ‘DA’ model to work with the ECU!)
• Transponder for the new key fob (Mine came with the FOB)
o Part AKTP2 on Hickleys.com for £3.50 + VAT
• Key blade for VW Flip key (I paid £6.50)
o Copied from your current key
o Go to www.carkeyhelp.co.uk to have it cut online via digital photo
• Money
o Enough for the above. I paid £88 in total, but only because I’m a Polo noob and had no VAG-COM and VagTacho, and because I’m impatient and didn’t want to wait for a cheap listing on eBay. Greid did the lot for £40. Shop around!

Method
1. Assemble your key fob. I can’t help you much with this; I ordered mine used on eBay, with a new transponder fitted already and the retention pin out awaiting the new key blade, which I then fitted.

2. Make sure VCDS-Lite and VagTacho are both working.

3. Let’s get VagTacho out the way. Plug in to the car and open the application. Use it to retrieve your 4 digit PIN. Select VDO New as the ECU. Add a 0 to the front of it, and you have your immobiliser login. Write it down and unplug.

4. Now lets get the key working with the car. Plug in with VCDS-Lite. These are for the most part the instructions found on the Ross-Tech website, so credit goes there. This process is for matching a key with Immobiliser III in the Instrument Cluster:

1) Measure the car's battery voltage, it must be 12.5 V or higher

2) You can check to make sure a key has the correct transponder in it by: [select] 
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 022
[Go!]
The value in field 3 must be 1. If value is not 1, the key is not capable of being adapted to Immobilizer. You can check each key in this manner

3) [select] 
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 024
[Go!]
Any numbers displayed in fields 1-4 represent the time in minutes that must be counted down before the Immobilizer is unlocked. If the fields are all zero, skip to step 5. If the Immobilizer is locked:
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
Do not switch off the ignition! Allow the car to sit for AT LEAST the number of minutes that were indicated by the display in Group 024

4) [select] 
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 024
[Go!]
Make sure all fields are zero
[Done, Go Back]

5) [Login - 11]
Enter the 5-digit PIN
[OK]

6) VCDS-Lite will validate the data you have entered and return you to the Login screen, where the Login Code will show as "XXXXX".
[Do It!]

7) [Adaptation - 10] 
Enter 21 in "Channel Number"
[Read]
The "Stored Value" is the number of keys currently matched. Enter "new value" of 0
[save].This clears out the old key-matchings. Enter a "new value" corresponding to the total number of keys to be matched, including any existing keys
[save]

8) [Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
Switch ignition off and remove key

9) Insert the next key to ignition and switch ignition on again. The Immobilizer warning light will light up for about 2 seconds, then go out. Switch ignition off and remove key

10) Repeat step 9 with each key until all keys have been matched

5. You can now drive with your new key. Immobilizer sorted. Now go back into VCDS-Lite, locate and connect to the ECU and write down the ‘Soft Coding’. Unplug from the car.

6. Now unplug your battery, remove your old central locking ECU and replace it with the, erm, replacement. You’ll find it above the driver’s footwell, near the brake pedal. Reconnect your battery.

7. Connect to the central locking ECU with VCDS-Lite. Click "Recode - 07" and enter the soft coding from the old ECU. Now it will work with your car.

8. Click "Adaptation - 10" to change the locking settings, such as auto-lock/unlock and indicator flashing. Exit and unplug.

9. Now time to program the remote.

a. With driver's window down and all doors closed, put the old key in the ignition and turn the electrics on.
b. Lock the driver’s door from the outside with the fob key.
c. Press unlock on the remote, wait a couple of seconds and press it again

Congrats! You now have full VW central locking, not a third party in sight!

Installing_OEM_Remote_Central_Locking_In_A_VW_Polo_9N_02___05.pdf

Edited by StringsOnFire

dixy

A guide as titled. Also available to download as a word document, I'll attach it tonight.

Introduction

Use it to retrieve your 4 digit PIN. Select VDO New as the ECU. Add a 0 to the front of it, and you have your immobiliser login.

this might just be me being very thick, but what do i add a 0 in front of, after i select VDO new from the select ecu menu?

-also the word document link doesn't work.

nice work, i think this should be sticky'd.

StringsOnFire

sorry for the late reply, forgot to check back! you will have 4 digits, so ####. add a zero in front, so 0####. That's your PIN.

Document uploaded as PDF, wouldn't let me do it as a word document

Edited by makeluv247

Guest ivarsand

Following the guide I have easily done the same for a Polo 9n 2002, but there are

three important differences.

It is important to get the correct Remote Central Locking ECU

I looked at the one installed and it was 6Q0 959 433 G with extra specification H01/S0001

Changed to 6Q0 959 433 E with extra specification H01/S0001

Most units available on ebay are H02/S0002.

I understand the difference is the bus type.

The dashboard is not VDO but TRW so getting the pin code is not easy.

I did not code a new transponder, but instead removed one from one of the original

keys and inserted it in the FOB key.

The procedure to program the remote is also different.

a. Lock and unlock the driver door with a key.

b. Press unlock on the FOB within 60 seconds

Thanks for a very good guide

Edited by ivarsand

StringsOnFire

Glad it helped. Could you explain for us how to distinguish the extra specification please?

StringsOnFire

Glad it helped. Could you explain for us how to distinguish the extra specification please?

SeanyBhoy

I lost my keys (doh) and used your guide to code a new key, nice n simple cheers mate, just one question...

I understand that the transponder can only be coded once, and when you code keys, you have to code them all at the same time. I'm planning on doing the remote upgrade after crimbo, so does this now mean when I do it I will have to take my current key apart and buy a new transponder for it?

StringsOnFire

The key coding procedure actually does two things. It codes the transponder and registers it with the cl ecu. So if it's already coded to that car's immobiliser, it will just register it, no need to put a new transponder in for the same car. good luck!

Paddy2bsure

Some side-by-side photos of the old & new units. The new one is ont he left.

IMG00114-20101214-1332.jpg

Old one:

IMG00115-20101214-1332.jpg

New one:

IMG00118-20101214-1332.jpg

StringsOnFire

Did anyone ever have any success following this with a 9N3? I'm thinking of getting one, but it doesn't have RCL, and I think I've done enough learning the hard way for a while!

Thanks

rasA4
Did anyone ever have any success following this with a 9N3? I'm thinking of getting one, but it doesn't have RCL, and I think I've done enough learning the hard way for a while!

Thanks

Hi Strings amazing post myman!

will be doing this shortly on wifes 9n3 2008

answer to your question Yes!

see here

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=248475

GGC

Does any one know if the boot unlock function works via the new ECU and key? And if it does not will the AG/CT two button key work with the new ECU, it's the same product number and MHZ just not the DA/AH version.

1J0 959 753 AG/CT 434 MHZ - Two button Key

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1J0-959-753-AG-C...2#ht_3320wt_952

1J0 959 753 DA/AH 434 MHZ - Three button Key

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1J0-959-753-DA-A...9#ht_3262wt_952

Many thanks, really looking forwards to giving this project a go!

-George-

StringsOnFire

Heavy on the coursework right now, so I've had to avoid sunlight. I'll test the boot unlock in the next few days when I next have a reason to leave the room...

dixy

Yes the boot unlock works. Indicators flash and unlOcks the boot for I think around 1minute then locks again. As far as I know the ah is a replacement for an earlier version, so if it has the same frequency then it should work. I think

The 9n only came with two button remotes, didn't they?

msandford

I've just fitted remote locking to my 2008 9n3 Polo with no problems. At the moment one button push unlocks just the drivers door, two unlocks them all. My local dealer can only find the option to turn on 'comfort locking' (locks all doors when the car moves). The car manual seems to suggest that the default functionality is to open all doors with one press, and if you want it to work how mine does then VW can set this up for you. So does anyone know how you can change it?

Thanks!

StringsOnFire

I'm fairly sure that the driver's door only/all doors is an option using VAG-COM, but I haven't heard of one button/two button. Then again, you may be using a different ECU to me

rover220
I'm fairly sure that the driver's door only/all doors is an option using VAG-COM, but I haven't heard of one button/two button. Then again, you may be using a different ECU to me

it is indeed a coding option not an adaptation.

very easy to do if you have vagcom.

Richard_Severn

Thanks for this, i was looking at the 25 pound kits on ebay with 2 keys that need splicing in then i saw this and have so far spent double that almost on the leads and this the numbers match up with the one in atm as in the h02/s0002. It took me over half a hour to find it in the car to start with and i broke a few bits getting it out so will have to jb weld it together at some point :(

Great write up though made sense to me will give it a go when i get the parts :) and take some pictures :)

Now to find a key... oh will both my old keys without buttons still work to unlock the door and start it up or will i have to get new transponders for them?

Adam vw

Sorry to bump a old thread but does anyone know how to obtain the 4 digit code for a 9n3.

I'm currently trying to use Vag Tacho 3.1 but when i try to connect to 'VDO new' it comes up access denied.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard_Severn
Sorry to bump a old thread but does anyone know how to obtain the 4 digit code for a 9n3.

I'm currently trying to use Vag Tacho 3.1 but when i try to connect to 'VDO new' it comes up access denied.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I had a load of trouble getting the pin ij the end I gave up. You only need the pin to recode the imobiliser if you open the keys up you can swap the little glass tubes over to the new remote key from the old key that you used. Failing that you may be able to find someone on here who is willing to get you the pin number :)

Adam vw

Thanks for the reply, I'm determined to get this working :)

Richard_Severn
Thanks for the reply, I'm determined to get this working :)

I got it working its pretty simple to do if you need any more help drop me a pm and i shall try and help as much as i can :)

ASKendrew

Are you able to skip getting VagTacho if you just use your old immobiliser? Would be a lot easier...

Richard_Severn
Are you able to skip getting VagTacho if you just use your old immobiliser? Would be a lot easier...

Yes you can that's what i had to do as i couldn't use VagTacho to read the immobiliser pin number. All you need to do is swap over the little glass vial inside the key and it will work with the immobiliser.

ASKendrew

Yes you can that's what i had to do as i couldn't use VagTacho to read the immobiliser pin number. All you need to do is swap over the little glass vial inside the key and it will work with the immobiliser.

Thanks for the reply. Will make it a lot easier then!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.