Matt G40

Young Drivers Insurance.

Matt G40

Well after seeing thousands of topics about people moaning about insurance, id though it was about time someone posted a little infomation.

After the short time I've being driving I've had many policys, and hit the young drivers insurance wall.

Here's what I've learnt, most of it is common sense.

Insurance is calculated from many factors:

The car - engine, body style, age.... theres so many factors...

The driver - Age, sex, employed, convictions, accidents, Credit...

Where you live - Vehicle Crime, and busy areas...

lots more...

Ways to lower your High Quotes:

- Ring them up, they can lower quotes by the touch of a button. I've rang one insurer before and got a quote, then did an online quote with them after and it was £200 more :shock:

- Add older more experenced Drivers to your policy

- Try fully comp insurance, many at time I've got cheaper quotes buy doing this.

- lower your annual milage.

- garage your vehical

Things that you shouldnt do:

- Make a policy in someone elses name, and add yourself as a named driver, knowing that you are going to be the main driver, this IS illegal. Try getting insured ever agian if you are caght.

- Not declaring modifactions - If you crash into somebody you will most derfinatly have a inspector check your car out, to see if everythings legit. If its not your left with the bill ,car repairs / payouts, Medical bills, have a few £100000's in the bank?

No/Low deposit insurance:

More than - offer no deposite insurance on the monthy payment option, but its hard to get as a young driver I haggled my way through, but the orginal quote wasnt cheap.

Kwit Fit - I managed to get £10 deposit on a 3k quote. Haggling was need though, There call centre is awsome as there based in glasgow :lol: so no foreigners, but they are a middle man to other insurers.

Hope this has been a help to some.

matt.

Edited by mattpolo5491

itchpolo

This is great, but I'll be honest, I was gonna get my 'rents to take out a policy ad have me as a named driver, I know it's illegal but how will they prove that I'm the main driver if I get caught?

daveb142

I'm 17 on my own insurance with Adrian Flux, Paying £1700 with breakdown cover on a 1.0L Polo. This is after my pass pluss though, they offer a 10-20% sliding scale, unfortunately i only got 10% taken off lol. My mum is also on the insurance, deffinitely reduces it! Give them a try though! :)

fellowz_23

Can you get a quote online with them? as the lowest quote i got was £1500 on my 1.0 and I'm 22.

daveb142
Can you get a quote online with them? as the lowest quote i got was £1500 on my 1.0 and I'm 22.

Jesus :/ nah you have to ring up...and if you're 22, try brentacre, my brother's with them for modified insurance on his 1.4 6n, he's paying £1000 and he's only 20, again with that one you have to give them a call but it's worth it :)

Matt G40

thanks for the pin :thumbsup:

g40jon
This is great, but I'll be honest, I was gonna get my 'rents to take out a policy ad have me as a named driver, I know it's illegal but how will they prove that I'm the main driver if I get caught?

well if they check on here...... (theres a fair amount of insurance bods signed up on here, trying to make sales and thus checking threads like these)

its a false economy anyway. You will still pay a high premium when you bite the bullet and go on your own policy.

for example....... I've had mine own policy from day one, I now pay a lot less for insurance than some of my other friends who are the same age, purely because I have had my own insurance for longer and have full no claims.

For the money you save short term, its not worth the risk, as they will claw it back over the long term and if you get caught you will be up a creak without a paddle.

hottiewood

Try The Green Insurance Company. I'm 20 with a 1.3 mk2. fully comp so get breakdown cover, courtesy car etc and its £108 a month which isnt too bad, found them on confused. :-)

mk2moo

i know someone with a fully modded civic including engine the whole 9 yards. He hasnt declared, i warned him that if he crashes he is fucked but doesnt seem to listen. id rather pay the extra bit to know I'm all good, than to have the shitting myself feeling if i crash or get pulled. I'm going to be trying places like Brentacre and Flux when mine is finished in a few days, hopefully ill get it a bit cheaper than my renewal quote.

Leon

i pay 82 a month with quinn on 1.3 bready

borgy

I'm 18 with 1 years no claims with my mum and my girl friends mum on my policy with admiral for £1000!! fully comp bargain lol

Woodlington

try autotrader compare, got the cheapest quotes I've seen anywhere, got £2100 as 18 with no driving experience on a 1.4 6n, fully comp was cheaper than both tpft and tp. I've also heard aviva are good and they have a 20% online discount. i added my dad as a named driver too

StaticDropsFTW

ATM I'm paying £69 a month on provisional and just staying on provisional for a year to get NCBD, then take my test and do pass plus and that and hopefully will get it a bit cheaper :/ getting stupid quotes like 6 grand on a 1L micra for god sake :/ which i am selling to get a polo.

my little polo

after a £6grand quote on a fiat cinquecento and a quote from asda that people dont believe: for me to be put on my mums car (ford galaxy) as a named driver with her 15 years NCB and i live in a good area they said they wanted £34,000 thirty four THOUSAND pounds. i cant afford to bite the bullet on my own insurance now, gonna have to wait till I'm 25 for it to come down i guess :/

inspectorDUB
ATM I'm paying £69 a month on provisional and just staying on provisional for a year to get NCBD, then take my test and do pass plus and that and hopefully will get it a bit cheaper :/ getting stupid quotes like 6 grand on a 1L micra for god sake :/ which i am selling to get a polo.

didnt think you got NCB on provisional???

Frascano

Any news?

Matt G40

Yes your time spent driving with a provisional licence does count towards your no claims bonus as long as you are the main policy holder.

djmarcsmith

Passed a year ago,

No claims bonus

Polo GLX 1.6 n Reg

Insured for 1600 with e-car with 350 deposit. Third party fire and theft.

StaticDropsFTW

yeah I'm the main policy holder so its fine :) checked what insurance is gonna be like once I'm 18 and iv already got a years no claims and it halved! it was still £2500 but atleast i can afford that :\ but still got another month untill my test so il put up what my insurance will be like

StaticDropsFTW

if i passs (fingers crossedd, touch wood, spin around and all the shit)

mr-snob

if i was you mate i would wait a few months i passed last year in february

and insurance on my mk2f is 1200 taken out last week .

thats only if you willing to wait.

StaticDropsFTW

i dont think i can wait much longer ;\ been on provisional way too long now n just wna get driving on my own, iv got enough money coming in monthly to afford a price like that n tbh i dont think things are gna get any cheaper untill i just get out there and start getting more no claims

Matt G40

Would Sky or chrisKnott Insurance like to add any Tips when looking for insurance? or any more Do's and Don'ts?

Jake Ellis
Would Sky or chrisKnott Insurance like to add any Tips when looking for insurance? or any more Do's and Don'ts?

good shout, I've heard insurers hate cheap cars i did a quote on a mk3 one quote i said car value £700 then did another quote on same car said it was worth £1500 and came out at nearly £1k cheaper

davidelliott294

Statistics are getting the better of us now. It's now cheaper to insure your car if it's kept on a public road than on a drive way\garage and it is cheaper to insure a car without an immobiliser, well it is for me anyway. Retarded.

Edited by davidelliott294