Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Faulty temperature gauge?

Benhodge83

Hiya all. I'm looking for a bit of advice. Hope you can help.

The temperature gauge on my Polo GTI is playing up. Most of the time it doesn't work at all. However sometimes halfway through a journey it will just spring to life and shoot straight up to the 90 degree mark. Which suggest the engine is operating at correct temperature.

The needle will probably stay at 90degrees for five or ten minutes before giving up again and dropping straight back down to zero.

I replaced the thermostat today but it didn't help. And the water pump was only replaced a month ago.

Any thoughs? Thanks. Ben

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benhodge83

• Alexg40

• bmxthrash

• RFKdemon

Sounds like a loose wire or a faulty sender. It definitely won't be the thermostat or the waterpump if the needle is moving that fast.

Yes. The thermostat is a temperature controlled valve that sits inside the cooling system and opens and closes to allow water to circulate through the radiator when it becomes hot. The temp sender is a small unit that is often located not far from the thermostat that tells the temp gauge what the water temp is. There may be several of these for different purposes.

Its the little green temp sensor for the dash that needs chaging mate about £12 from VW and dead easy to do, my old gti did the same thing and it sorted it simples.

Matt

This the one that is plugged into one of the hoses near the engine block? My mate's 6n2 polo (non-gti) is having the same issue, except the guage stays on 70 (dead cold) the whole time. The fan comes on, so it must be that annoying coolant sensor ay?

Hiya all. I'm looking for a bit of advice. Hope you can help.

The temperature gauge on my Polo GTI is playing up. Most of the time it doesn't work at all. However sometimes halfway through a journey it will just spring to life and shoot straight up to the 90 degree mark. Which suggest the engine is operating at correct temperature.

The needle will probably stay at 90degrees for five or ten minutes before giving up again and dropping straight back down to zero.

I replaced the thermostat today but it didn't help. And the water pump was only replaced a month ago.

Any thoughs? Thanks. Ben

Had same problem on my polo, temp would go from 70-90C all the time during driving. Bought new sensor, temp was again rock steady on 90C like before.

Few month later same problem occured again. I changed back old sensor (which was fine all the time) temp again rock steady but only for 2 weeks.

Solution in the end was using contact spray to clean damn cable for sensor! I guess the rubber seal leaks so moisture goes in and contacts corrode.

Than after cleaning jack I used some other contact spray but for protection, after that problem never occured again.