Vwcallumvw

Noisy engine on a 6n2

Vwcallumvw

My engine is noisy as hell on my 6n2 its that bad iv even had people ask what diesel type my polo is lol

I no that the vw engines r notorious for loudness but i thinknthis may be to much lol

I'm currently runnin 10/40 oil, but any ideas how tp make it not sound so ruff?

Richman711

hi again lol;)

what kind of noise is it?

does it change or go away with engine temp?

not some thing simple like a shagged exhaust?

cheers

Vwcallumvw

Hello mr helpful :)

Its just like a loud diesel engine is the only way i can describe it...

Ill check it with engine temp but i dont think it does...

As for the exaust might it be that if it dnt go with engine temp? Whats the possibilities it could be?

Richman711

to check the exhaust, start the car from cold and put you are hand over the exhaust, the engine should start to struggle and will either stall or blow you are hand off ( off the exhaust lol). If not it's got a hole in it.

All depends on the noise if it's deep noise with a constant pattern and increase's with revs it could be you are big end going. If it's a like a light rattle that goes away/ gets better with engine temp it ls prob the tappets. Random engine noise's are hard to find out what's causing them.

How does it drive?

Fairly gd mpg?

Any blue/ black / White smoke constantly coming out the exhaust?

Vwcallumvw

There aint constantly smoke coming feom the exhaust although winter time i could really notice white smoke as i put my foot down, ill do the xhaust test tomorrow :)

As for the noise I'm sure its constant and gets loud as i rev the engine, does that basically mean the heads going? Its only done 55k on the original engine :@

Polo Will

Big end bearings is a possibility. Nothing to do with your engine head. Has your oil pump failed on you at any point? Or have you had any of the oil warning lights come on?

Richman711

If it's the tappets I wouldn't worry, plus some thicker oil might shut them up.

If it's the bigend then the engine is shagged and it would be cheaper to get a new one

Could even be worn piston rings causing piston slap but then u should have blue smoke

If u get White smoke After the engines heated up that could be head gasket, I really can't imagine it being that, but worth check oil for coolant and coolant for oil

Depending on you are experience with cars it could just be exhaust and u have never heard what a fucked exhaust. Sounds like

Let me know when u find the problem. I'm kinda interested lol

Vwcallumvw

Polo will ... Nah no light its been on a vag com too so I'm sure thatd bring a reading up??? As far as i no oil pump had been good how would i tell tho?

Richman.... I done the exhaust test and there was good pressure there it blew my hand lol I'm thinkin about puttin abit of wynns stop smoke as i no this quiets engines, i did check today whem its cold started it does produce a lil white smoke after a hard rev nothing major tho... Coolant an oil r all clear,

So I'm a little confused any more suggestions?

caretakerplus

Don't worry too much about white smoke when the engine is cold, it is probably just chucking out some condensation, it is only when the white smoke is continuous, coupled with loss of coolant, that is likely to be an indication of a failed head gasket.

I find that the worst thing possible for VW hydraulic tappets is 'thicker' oil, if your engine is not using much oil, I would stick to SAE 10W30 or 10W40 and buy the best quality that you can get/afford.

If the noise is as bad as you seem to imply, and you think that it is coming from the top of the engine, it might be an idea to take the cam box cover off and see A) if the cam lobes are in good condition and B) if there is excessive movement in the tappets themselves.

Vwcallumvw

Id have to take the top end of and look, what am i looking for as in condition wise? Like chips etc?

PoloD

The 1.4 6n2 engine is known to sound 'tappety' or perhaps as you describe it like a diesel. This is normal. It does not sound like a 6n 1.4 8v at all. This may be normal.

What is your engine code please?

PoloD.

Vwcallumvw

Ah that would b a relife if it was lol i heard they were noisey but dibt think it was like that lol

I'm sure my code is afh, its a 75bhp se model

Tbf I'm quiet disapointed in the cars build

PoloD

The AFH unit was fitted to the 6n generating 100bhp.

Check your owner's manual, boot sticker (under carpet), or engine block for the code.

I think the car is not bad considering it's 10 years old - but that is a personal judgement. May I suggest an oil and oil filter change? These engines do like their fresh (good quality) oil.

I also note that you've done 55k. Has the timing belt and water pump been changed?

PoloD.

Edited by PoloD

Vwcallumvw

Iv changed the cambelt, water pump, oil filter and filled up with castrol magnatec 10/40

The engine is a afh, its just iv drove cars 15 years old higher mileage that sound alot better... Just thinkin i should part with the motor to save a headache :(

PoloD

Hmmm....

Perhaps turning the music up may help ;)

loopyniall
Hmmm....

Perhaps turning the music up may help ;)

Haha this never fails :-D

DanRaistrick

i have the same problem with my 1.0 :( had a friend look at it, he thought the oil may be struggling to get through so took off the sump to clear the pickup pipe..

sadly he found the remains of some fingers that have something to do with the tappets? I'm not too sure..

but anyway I'm just sticking a new cylinder head on as he had one lying around in good nick.

hope my polo is better soon, might be worth taking the rocker cover off and having a good look inside?

DanN92

My engine sounded very loud for a while, I then gave it a service including oil, oil filter, spark plugs and air filter, sorted all problems

Ran far quieter ever since, give that a go!

Dan

Vwcallumvw

I hope i dont find some fingers lol

Iv gave it the works evertthing u list above and more... I

Think I'm gonna put some stop smoke in an see what happens :)

I should look though to see if i can see any damage, just outa intrest how hard is the sump to take off? Can i get it on axle stands n do it?

nathyboy
I hope i dont find some fingers lol

Iv gave it the works evertthing u list above and more... I

Think I'm gonna put some stop smoke in an see what happens :)

I should look though to see if i can see any damage, just outa intrest how hard is the sump to take off? Can i get it on axle stands n do it?

Very interesting thread, my polo 14v 6n2 also does this until warm, upon start up it makes a loud very dull harsh groggy sound then a slight tapping noise until warm then it disappears, after a long run it slightly comes back, someone told me that it's either tappets or a broken/blocked distributor getting oil into my engine, the cars recently had a new oil filter and oil air filter and plugs so

Not sure why it wants to sound worse! Ah well! Polos for you!!!!

Leon
my polo 14v 6n2

the reason it sounds worse is because you have lost 2 valves mate

nathyboy
my polo 14v 6n2

Is that a definite mate? How are these fixed/replaced? Is this the cause of lack of power after 3000rpm? Cheers man

don_stavrou

every 6N2 i have owned, worked on, stopped next to, sounds like a diesel!

So if it makes you feel better your car is fine, you learn to just ignore it :)

polo45
my polo 14v 6n2

Is that a definite mate? How are these fixed/replaced? Is this the cause of lack of power after 3000rpm? Cheers man

:lol: :lol:

nathyboy
my polo 14v 6n2

:lol: :lol:

Ah well haha, Germans grumble I guess their cars do aswell, only cost me a grand with 45k on clock so I'll ride the fecker until it dies