Retrotub

Retrotub's mk2 loon on a budget

Retrotub

Hello folks,

After many months of wanting a loon, I have finally been able to take the plunge after watching one after another go by while I sell our other cars and get the cash sorted.

I had to sell my supercharged mx-5 and also my wife's Fiat 500 which she replaced with a 02 Beetle 1.8T.

On Sunday I bought this project from ebay.

It needs a little welding and urgently needs some paint.

However it was cheap and hopefully a good starting place.

I dont know the paint code but its going back to original which I think is called champagne?

The previous owner rubbed it down for new paint but never got to it.

I have big plans - but a lot of reading up to do first and make sure I do the right things.

Here are the ebay pics.

polo1.jpg

polo2.jpg

polo3.jpg

polo4.jpg

Yes it needs a bit of work ;)

However, I've been really inspired by a lot of the cars on here and want to get cracking with this project.

I bought some wheels off ebay and I dont know if they will fit. The car has a 60mm H&R kit apparently but I've bought some 13x7 revolution rfx'

Which I guess you will tell me will rub? ET25 :crybaby:

They will not be staying white - I've already ordered some anthracite satin gunmetal paint. :ninja:

polorevwheels.jpg

Anyway, ill be working on this for some time, and have loads of plans.

Let me know if you think my wheels wont fit or what my options are to make them fit.

Cheers

JC

Edited by Retrotub

B-shaw

ET25 is perfect dude.

VW wheels are 38 normally so its not far off at all. Better than mini fitment at like -5 or something daft.

I was watching those wheels too, not sure why because I'm skint, but still :lol:

I'm all for keeping original colours, but in this case i reckon ud be better off going with something else now you have the chance. As IMO that colour is vile.

This....

anthracite satin gunmetal paint

Is WIN!

MattLoaf

What wheel is that one the front right?

Retrotub

Thanks for the wheel info.

I dont know what it is on the front right. They will all be coming off soon. I haven't actually got the car here - it is going to a relatives house for initial welding and paint.

I like the original colour, but I'm open to suggestions.

Ill post in the wheel section as I've a question or two on tyre sizes etc.

Cheers

JC

B-shaw

175/50R13 ;)

MattLoaf
I like the original colour, but I'm open to suggestions.

I hate to suggest that you copy anyone else but...

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/e...lo/_MG_9581.jpg

There is also a grey one floating around that has smoked front indicators and gray Minilights that looks fucking sexy.

Edited by MattLoaf

louisv6

Another saloon :) Excellent.

They're getting rarer and rarer. Will be good to see another one restored.

And yes - make it bright orange. That colour above is awesome.

Retrotub
175/50R13 ;)

Thanks - question on here then - i really dont want stretch as although not a track car this will eventually be going to the ring once I've done loads to it.

will 175/50/13 give me stretch on 7's ? should I go wider - or will i get arch problems?

175/50/13's seem to be £65 notes each.

Also what was the original size - I thought 175/50/13's would give a 10% reduction in rolling circumference?

Keep colour suggestions coming please?

I saw a bora today in the light gold colour and it looked almost satin :idea::shock:

Retrotub

Well its been a whiel since i did an update - progress has been busy but slow on show.

We have spent a lot of time getting the bodywork straight. Its amazing how many small bumps you find when you really work on it.

Its going polaris silver as original for now. My relative who its helping me paint it and teaching me body work will only paint it its original colour for some reason.

This is when we first went to work on it:

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00986.jpg

So much work and it still looked terrible!!!! :grin:

making some progress

DSC01001.jpg

Edited by Retrotub

Retrotub

Managed to get some progress on the wheels.

They were in a bit of a state form years of grime and stuff on the insides.

doing the insides and centre black satin several coats before they go gunmetal anthracite.

Going to leave the lip and dish bit polished.

2011-09-25192600.jpg

2011-09-25192638.jpg

I know a lot of people like white, but I just dont fancy that look on this car.

Retrotub

Made a lot more progress on the bodywork, its nearly time for a full coat of primer before we start on colour.

2011-09-29101017.jpg

2011-09-29101033.jpg

2011-09-29101008.jpg

2011-09-29100959.jpg

Retrotub

been busy spending on trim and such.

Had to get a replacement drivers side window mechanism, new rear lights as they had a crack on one and a chunk out of the other.

I'm too tall to fit with the original seats so got a pair of Rado half buckets in very dark grey.

Also picked up a GT rear beam and some S coupe clocks.

still sourcing other trim I'm missing, but bought some CBR600 carbs and a facet fuel pump

- you can guess where this is going........

then i bought this little bit of engine bay bling (original advertisement photo)

afhengine.jpg

So its slowly coming together. ;)

Retrotub

Going to get a brake upgrade and also save up for a PPP stage 2 subframe and g-lader blocks before the new engine goes in.

I'm a bit clueless on what ill do about the exhast manifold and exhaust. I'm guessing ill need a new exhaust manifold and the original exhaust wont fit so ill have to get a custom one??

any advice on that will be much appreciated.

Cheers

JC

Edited by Retrotub

Retrotub

Well this must be one of the slowest moving 8build threads still going by someone who is actually on the forum most days.

Bodywork was finished - then we could see some more slight indentations in the roof once we had the colour on. Cant really make them any better than they are and most people would never know.

Its not a show car anyway but I wanted it nice.

Started to get some lacquer on at last - not had a chance to polish it yet.

For some reason the light in the photo makes the colour look very gold. It will be lighter once the "finish" is on the car - much more silver with a hint like it should be.

Bad pictures as taken with a 2004 navman as thats all that was available at the time.

Jccar.jpg

Jccar2.jpg

Aside from those - I've finally got some side sills and the rubber side trim in my garage now.

Also got a set of front and rear very dark grey door cards from a loon, and black carpet set - which will go nice with the Corrado half buckets which are very dark as well.

The GT rear beam is going in during the next few weeks.

I've got some temporary wheels on it now - they had new tyres and would fit and came up cheap (got fed up having to pump up a tyre every time I wanted to move the car) , no pics on the car - but I really want to finish the rfx's and get them on. And of course the afh and bike carbs in the corner is calling to me.

Just hoping the PPP boys are still doing the uprated subframes in the late summer.

Looking forward to the spring and more time to work on the car. (apart from having two small children who get fist dibs on my time ;) )

I cant believe I'm so excited about a car I've never driven and everyone says are bad handling! :-D

Retrotub

Well the slow progress continues. - not that anyone is reading this. However, I'm aiming to have the loon on the road temporarily by May and with the new engine and wheels by the Poloshow in July.

Its been really hard withthe car in Yorkshire and me down in Herts. If i dont write everything down or take pictures its easy not to remember all the bits or stuff I have to get.

I had another couple of days off at the end of Jan and spent a lot more time flatting the paint.

Its ready for a last coat of colour and a lot of lacquer now.

As the weather was a bit damp I've concentrated on the mechanical side of things though.

Had to get new suspension arms as one was very worn and the other was close behind.

The GT rear beam is on and I've serviced all the bakes.

Also we decided that some exhaust hangers were in order - the zorst was previously held on with speaker cable tied round it and to the rear light sockets - effective but probably not safe or aestheticly pleasing.

I got some BK 166 alloys a while back and they are now on the car. I'm going to be putting the Revolutions on later but for now the BK's with their nearly new tyres will get me on the road.

The arch trims are only temporarily in place, going to re-paint them all with bumper paint.

Finally got the corrado half buckets in the car and it suddenly feels a lot nicer place to sit. The corrado seats are actually almost mint, but got a bit dusty while i was getting them in, so the pictures dont do them justice.

2012-01-27104301-1.jpg

2012-01-27104307-1.jpg

While the paint looks a lot darker gold at present before the lacquer its great to finally see it moving back towards a car rather than looking like a project.

I'm still considering not polishing the lacquer and leaving a satin type finish to the paint.

2012-01-27104221version2-1.jpg

2012-01-27104240.jpg

2012-01-27104230.jpg

comments or thoughts appreciated. :-D

even if its you dont like the wheels or the colour!

MattLoaf

Polish it and ditch the multifit wheels :biggrin:

86C

As for the "no one is reading this" comment, we are reading it with great interest :-)

It's coming on great. Not a fan of those last lot of wheels but the refurbed Revo's should sort that out 8-)

What's happened to the original front seats? Please don't tell me you've binned them?

livesey

its looking good so far mate. you building the engine on a bench with the carbs or fitting it and then sorting the carbs?

and as for handling badly I took my loon for a good thrashing down some country roads and it handled great.=)

mini_mayhem

Very Nice loon. Keep it up

residentmelon

I never knew this one was on here.

Looking good make me feel that mine one can be saved

Did you do the prep and painting yourself?

Retrotub
Polish it and ditch the multifit wheels :biggrin:

Lol - i didnt thank they were that bad - certainly better then the mismatched collection on there before. Not the right period though, would suit a 6n.

I thinking i will DA it actually - the satin look I think was a passing fancy.

As for the "no one is reading this" comment, we are reading it with great interest :-)

It's coming on great. Not a fan of those last lot of wheels but the refurbed Revo's should sort that out 8-)

What's happened to the original front seats? Please don't tell me you've binned them?

Cheers, these builds can feel a bit lonely at times. ;)

I've got the front seats, I never bin any car stuff, they need a little clean, but are pretty good so ill offer them for sale cheap. The drivers side tilt mech is typically not working.

2012-01-27141611.jpg

2012-01-27141548.jpg

its looking good so far mate. you building the engine on a bench with the carbs or fitting it and then sorting the carbs?

and as for handling badly I took my loon for a good thrashing down some country roads and it handled great.=)

engine will probably have a little head work first then will be set up on the car - but it will all happen in my mates workshop - where we have access to pretty much everything we need including his dyno, his skills (he looks after all sorts of race cars and exotica and conversions) and next door is his dads fabrication and hydrolics place. It will cost me a little but probably mates rates and nothing like what it should. I will be doing it myself but I have great support and facilities.

It has a H n R kit installed but I want some bracing/subframe.

Very Nice loon. Keep it up

Cheers - hoping to make it a nice one.

I never knew this one was on here.

Looking good make me feel that mine one can be saved

Did you do the prep and painting yourself?

This one is being saved - although i never knew how much work would be involved at every turn. Makes you appreciate the self builds / restorations all the more.

I'm doing 80% of the prep and painting - the garage its in is a relatives and he was a paint and body guy for 30 years. He is overseeing me do the work and teaching me some techniques etc but i have to do it myself and he wont show me anything more than once. Also he has never sprayed with lacquer as he stopped a few years back. A few bits were a bit tricky and had to have him using the dollys to get the metal straight like on the back wing. It wont be perfect by a long way, but I'm hoping it to be passable.

Thats why its slow going as I'm only up there for a long weekend every two to three months.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. :-D

86C

Let me know when the seats are up for grabs. I know someone who might be interested.

Must start a build thread for mine at some point :oops:

Retrotub

well the very slow progress shuffles on.

I've been rubbing down and cleaning up the Revolution Wheels for ages.

Eventually had a break in the weather a couple of weeks ago.

Still not decided if I'm going to lacquer them or not, they have 6 layers of paint and the final two in the gunmetal are alloy wheel paint so is a fair bit tougher.

I've still got to get the metal finishing pads out and tidy up the slightly scared rims and give a bit of a polish to the edge and dished bit to emphasis the contrast.

I think once the black centre caps and the tyres are on it will give a greater contrast to the polished lips.

They look a lot lighter in direct sunlight. I'm quite happy with how they have turned out.

20120414_160428.jpg

The lips and the dished bit do need a clean up and polish also to tidy up the edge of the pint a little.

I think the dished bit need to be really shiny.

20120414_164904.jpg

What do you think?

erixtar1992

wheels are looking wicked mate! and great job on the respray too. loking forward to it being on the road

louisv6

This is a great project - love the fact you're doing most of the work on the paint yourself. I know it's really difficult to get right!

Champagne silver is one of my favourite VW colours. It's not to many peoples' taste but what do they know?