dekerf1996

78 Derby LS - Cici

dekerf1996

Model: VW Derby GLS

Engine: 1272 PY with dead charger 1272 3F with 4 branch manifold, 268 newman cam, 8k poloace chip and induction kit

Suspension: eibach 35mm springs with Koni adjustable struts, GED brace bar and G-ladersite from bushes

Brakes: 239 vented discs and matching calipers 239 standard discs, new with braided hoses

Wheels and Tyres: 13 x 5 Fondmental cross spokes with 175/50 yoko's

Exterior Styling: Bog standard

Interior Styling: Bog standard

ICE and Security: Bog standard

Comments:

THought i would put up a proper build thread for my 78 Derby

I purchased this off Kam a while back with the intenion of returning it to the road farily quickly. It had been around the block a while by then, been featured in PPC's and caught my eye on the motorway.... So some of you might remember it..... Also some of you may remember when i first picked it up, as i suggested i was off to Halfords to 'sort it out' and got a few angry reactions....

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=171091

Pics on the day of transport:

DSCF1628.jpg

DSCF1627.jpg

DSCF1626.jpg

DSCF1632.jpg

Had to extend the driveway to fit it in, but i did it......

IMG_1463.jpg

Just waiting for the time to work on her....

She originally came with a G40 engine which had been switch to a rotrex charger due to bay restrictions, which had blown up :-( so i picked it up running a fairly standard G40 engine, with a 4 branch manifold, but minus the the charger, but with a charge cooler system and a water/meth injection system in place.

Car also had 5 speend box, koni shocks and eibatch springs and G40 brakes. Other than that, fairly standard. Original car had covered around 35K and was fairly solid :-)

Time passed and after discussing options with Phil J, a genuine mk2 G40 intercooler was purchased:

d1d47e60.jpg

then a Turbo manifold was offerd up:

IMG_1801-1.jpg

it fitted but left no room for the turbo, without cutting up the car (and giving the game away), which i didn't want to do....

I already knew a G40 charger wouldn't fit either from Kam... and Kam hadn't got the rotrex working either.... so what to do??? (so is intercooler for sale)

I heard a 16v will be a tight fit too....

So now i have decided to take my GT engine out of my mk2 coupe and fit that. It has a few mods, manifold, chip, cam, air filter so should be good for 95bhp and enough for this daily (for now). Which leaves me to build a nice engine for the mk2 around the G40 engine in this car (which is another story):

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=191455

Replaced the above daily with this G, to enable me some time to work on things and swap the engines around:

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=237407

Now i have two days off this week coming to get the engine swapped and the car up and running.....

now how she is standing now......

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

Not too much to do.... knowing me (being a numpty with spanners) it won't be finished.... well i want to get the engine in (being painted too) and the underside treated, with the suspension fully checked out with new top mounts, lower TCA bushes and new rear axle bushes, all thanks to Phil

During the time i have had her, a few wheels have come past me.... Fondmental BBS style 13" in a few of the pics (sold onto polory here: http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=198291, ATS) Classics, brought and sold, two different BBS style wheels brought, and up for sale soon, plus a few others i have tried from my collection, but i have just purchased some RSL Cults for her.... which are going off to mike the polisher :-)

Things are finally starting to turn my way......

Got a few things to sort out as Kam set the car and wiring up for the G40 engine, and i need to strip a few things out of the wiring loom, like the meth/water injection, charge cooler, and shift light whilst keeping the derby looking the standard, apart from the right set of rims ;)

Edited by dekerf1996

louislewin

Mk1 g ftw :D

dekerf1996

Started off yesterday taking the engine out:

IMG_1802.jpg

Then the rotrex bits

IMG_1806.jpg

THen the meth injection

IMG_1812.jpg

One dirty bay

IMG_2542.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

Bit of degreaser and a hose

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

How i left her for the night (pic taken this morning due to rain)

IMG_2549.jpg

Started stripping the donor engine :-)

IMG_2534.jpg

And how all driveways should look in the morning

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

Gonna start work on this again today once the wife is back from Uni to look after my little boy

dekerf1996
HAHA thought this was Kam's old'un!

He planned supercharged G with met injection? Off his head haha! shame hes not on here so much anymore :-(

P.S. is that red mk2 Safs old one?

Was running a rotrex charger but killed it :-( hence me picking the car up, G40 won't fit without cutting the front panel up with the charger sticking out....

Nope not saf's old one, been in the family for 7 years not, Phil changed it to a gt about 18 months ago..... Soon to be G powered

Not too much of an update today, had a bit of an accIdent with the engine crane, it collapsed and squashed my arm :-( not the most fun or convient thing to happen I must say.... So not much got done.... Hopefully engine out tomorrow if arm is good enough...

dekerf1996

Well did some more work yesterday, buthaving a buggered arm did help, so just pulled the engine out the mk2 and stuck it into the derby, just lined up the engine mounts and connected the fuel lines.

How I left the mk2:

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

Got some serious work to do on that one to get it how i want, but thats another build thread....

How the derby now sits:

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

So the hard part is done now. Will be back on it when my arm is better

dekerf1996

Not much of an update, as no pics, but more work done today but it's fucking freezing out, confirmed by the snow that is now falling!!!

I have been busy in the background buying and researching parts, looking for somewhere to refurb my rsl cults, but need to find some replacement bolts :-( got some new top mounts, rear axle bushes and rear top mounts from Phil J

So onto my work today... Got done:

Gear lever connected

Engine mounts lined up

Alteratir fitted

Manifold removed, lambda moved and refitted, manifold refitted

Speedo cable fitted

Header tank fitted

Radiator fitted

Coolant pipes fitted, except overflow to header tank, as I need to order new one

So it's getting there, looks like a proper engine now! Just need to:

Tighten the alternator, and fit fan belt

Fit new poly bushes from Phil

Fit drive shafts

Wire in the engine!!!!

Oh wheels and a MOT.... Hope to get it on the road for end of feb :-)

Might get some pics tomorrow, weather dependant!!!

Karl

Nice work! Glad to see this is still going :-).

Vic

Coming along very nicely indeed, for the RSL cults, I bought bolts from 'titanium-touch.de' then tapped out the holes in the rsl's to accept them. Mine had plastic rivets that looked like bolts, they soon weathered. It's a long job but well worth the effort.

Be good to see another early Derby on Cults too...

dekerf1996

Thought i would post a pic of the car in its current state, managed to try a couple of the new wheels on last night, before the snow.

They seem to fit bang on, just need a light refurb and fresh rubber

No work today though, as it was a little too cold :-(

IMG_2815.jpg

Thanks for the info on the bolts, was thinking i would have to remove them an drill holes for the new bolts, and get some nice proper bolts rather than the plastic crap!!!

Only saw pics of your derby on the cults after i purchased mine ;) sorry for copying but great wheels. What size are yours and what tyres have you gone for?

Vic
Only saw pics of your derby on the cults after i purchased mine ;) sorry for copying but great wheels. What size are yours and what tyres have you gone for?

Not at all, mines not the only mk1 with cults - best wheel for an early Derby (IMHO!). Mine are 7 x 13 all round with Dunlop SP3000 175x50x13 all round, although I've had these on for many years and I think the Dunlop SP3000 are obsolete now. Look forward to seeing more updates mate...

dekerf1996

Not at all, mines not the only mk1 with cults - best wheel for an early Derby (IMHO!). Mine are 7 x 13 all round with Dunlop SP3000 175x50x13 all round, although I've had these on for many years and I think the Dunlop SP3000 are obsolete now. Look forward to seeing more updates mate...

Have you got a build thread for your derby anywhere? Haven't seen it, and would love to see more pics, it looks mint ;)

I have got 8 x 13 for the rear on mine and they look to fit the archs well, currently on 195/45 but want to change them, would like a deeper tyre keeping closer to the standard ratio as there is just too much arch gap otherwise.... The car came wearing 175/50's and I almost lost my 4 year old in there gap!!!

DOnt want to lower her too much more as the speed mountains and poor roads round here will eat the car!!!

Vic
Have you got a build thread for your derby anywhere? Haven't seen it, and would love to see more pics, it looks mint ;)

I have got 8 x 13 for the rear on mine and they look to fit the archs well, currently on 195/45 but want to change them, would like a deeper tyre keeping closer to the standard ratio as there is just too much arch gap otherwise.... The car came wearing 175/50's and I almost lost my 4 year old in there gap!!!

DOnt want to lower her too much more as the speed mountains and poor roads round here will eat the car!!!

Cheers mate. Yes, there's a build thread on the mk1 polo forum Here. Used to have one on here, but it's going back a good five years, so probably gone by now.

dekerf1996

Small update

Engine is looking a bit more complete:

IMG_2854.jpg

Tried a wheel on that i had sitting about, not sure if i should run these or now??

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

Hope to get it finished in the next week or two, really need it done as the daily G is playing up :-(

Edited by dekerf1996

Gamu

Lovely early derby, most mk1s look good until you get close up but this looks mint even in the close up pictures :)

Also very happy to read youre not putting in the G because you dont want to cut the car :D

dekerf1996

Car is far from mint, but is fairly solid, which is why i brought it in the first place, but lots of bits of service rust. Not too major though, thinking of getting a bare shell respray in the future :-) So far, no holes or major rot spotted which is always good :-)

Well been removing the wiring looms, oh what fun they are....

Well no engine bay electrics now (well just the shift light, or meth kit can't remember which)

Quick hoover of the scuttle bay and its looking like this:

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

Bit dirty which just needs a quick clean, thought some APC and then some Iron X would be a start, but the main thing as its solid, which these things are usually rotten under the battery.

So as the engine sits:

IMG_2875.jpg

Just need to get my head round the wiring, which is simple, thankfully :-) but i shall wait and see.... Hopefully get this done during the week :-)

dekerf1996

In this last week, been busy trying to sort out the wiring loom, which is supposed to be simple, but being an early Polo and already being converted to a G40 makes things a little difficult, as some of the previous work is interesting to say the least.

Started off with this:

IMG_2889.jpg

Started pulling the loose ends off - hmmm well built, then started cutting out what I didn't need, ended up with the pile to the right of the picture 'spare'

IMG_2888.jpg

Now just to fit it to the car.....

Also been busy buying bits for it too, needed tyres and to sort out the arch gap, as although it is running on Koni's and Eibach springs it just doesn't sit low enough for me :-(

But no pics at the moment, as been too busy.

Hopefully on track to get it to early edition on the 22nd, but its gonna be tight. Been off the road for about 4 years, not sure its second journey should be a 1 1/2 blast up the motorway. So only way will be to get it MOT'ed during the week, so i can run it about for a few days first, but not sure i have the time :-(

dekerf1996

Well some progress on this car, but not too much unfortunately :-(

Wired up the car:

IMG_2922.jpg

Turned key and nothing..... well to be expected with an engine conversion and with me!!! Battery was flat, hardly surprising as it had be sitting outside under the car for 10 months or more!!! Chucked another battery on there and it fired first time, RESULT!!!!

THought i was on track to get the car finished in the next week and started making sure everything worked, and it didn't!!! Sodding frustrating, which is sort of where i am at currently.

Car runs, but not all the electrics work :-( for some reason the wipers, horn and drivers front indicator don't work!!! Tried many things but currently stumped.... think its due to me unplugging the fuse box and not getting everything connected back up properly.....

However done some other bits on the car, new wheels:

IMG_2921.jpg

Boring ATS classics 7 x 13 all round, but more importantly decent tyres!!!

Washer bottle, original one had holes for meth drain on it and wiring for the pump:

IMG_2923.jpg

Now not running meth on this little GT lump anymore, so now need for holes, so went to the shed and pulled out a spare mk1 Golf bottle

IMG_2924.jpg

shame I didn't have a pump to fit it, plenty two system pumps, so onto ebay, and 22hours later had a new one outlet pump :-) 1/2 hour later plugged in and working :-)

Next onto the exhaust, everyone likes a shiney stainless exhaust, and this car came with one, 6 or so years old, quick wash then out with the metal polish and it comes up nice:

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

And tail pipe

IMG_2929.jpg

Needs a little more work, but i got bored and wanted to stick it on the car

So thats all on, just needs the tailpipe cutting down, as it sticks out further than the bumper!!!!

No picture yet, as its backed up to the house, but hopefully soon, as the car will be on the road

Nearly there, but this wiring problem is annoying me!!!!

dekerf1996

Well progress has moved on!!! Car now has MOT, happy days :-)

Finally traced the wiring issues, and got everything working :-)

Then it needed cleaning for the MOT man :-)

Wasn't looking too bad:

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

So finished pics, as we all know how to wash a car ;) but light was fading...

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

Really impressed with the wax

IMG_3106.jpg

Not forgetting the interior:

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

Blue to match the wheels ;)

Ready for the MOT and it failed :-(

Brakes, bit spongy, headlights not aiming correctly, and delivery sticker on windscreen :-(

So had to do a bit of work....

Rear end on stands, and fixed the handbrake, so while i was there thought might clean up

Before

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

After

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

Always thought the car sat a little high on the koni's and eibach's, so whilst cleaning got my coilovers out the shed

IMG_3114.jpg

And fitted them, all round :-) had a trouble with the tie rod ends, so had to get some new ones, and also fitted some ARB blocks

Car sits another inch lower, but needs to settle.

Took for MOT and it passed ;)

Unfortunately no pics, of it lowered. Will get some out and about shortly :-)

86C

Can't believe they failed it for the delivery/running in sticker, miserable barstewards!

dekerf1996
Can't believe they failed it for the delivery/running in sticker, miserable barstewards!

Well it had a few other minor things like no brakes, loose front wheel bearings (I forgot to tighten up the driveshaft nuts :p) was hoping they would let me leave the sticker, but werent having any of it for the second mot.... Still it was crusty and flakey, so not best looking!!!!

However they passed it with the wheels fouling the bodywork on full lock.... Hmmm

codzilla

LOOKING AWESOME DUDE! love this build :)

dekerf1996
LOOKING AWESOME DUDE! love this build :)

Thanks, only really just getting started (hopefully, had some bloke already try and buy it!!!!)

Well some updates, just bedding it in really after 5 years off the road, few little niggles, and one break down, lift pump seperated in the tank.

Been driving and cleaning it for the last few weeks and really enjoying it, people always commenting on it, and letting me out :-)

So went out with the kids today, after a wash, but its England and summer, so it rained!!!

Took some pics, but the car was already dirty, and i am no David Bailey (might have already sussed!!!)

Pics:

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

Peeking out

IMG_3248.jpg

Strike a pose

IMG_3249.jpg

Yes the car needs to go lower, but the arches need rolling first :-(

But i have got its final set of wheels recently :-) here in my garden and going off for a full and very expensive repaint soon ;)

To say they are rare is an understatement, but after only seeing 3 sets on the internet in the last 7 years finally found some for sale :-)

So the ATS's are for sale if anybody wants them??

dirtydubs

great thread dude, thats horse poo about the sticker in the window under mot laws in the uk it would be upto the tester to advise but never to fail. lovely car and a thumbs up from me about not cutting it about its a classic keep it that way.

dekerf1996
great thread dude, thats horse poo about the sticker in the window under mot laws in the uk it would be upto the tester to advise but never to fail. lovely car and a thumbs up from me about not cutting it about its a classic keep it that way.

Trouble with my car is its so old, it has left hand drive wipers, hence the sticker being right in the swept area, as it was on the drivers bottom corner......

I can see their point to be honest, and it was going crispy and flakey, so not too bothered about it now....

Onwards and upwards..... been having a few chats to people about getting custom dishes made up for my new rims :-) Gonna be expensive but hopefully worth it!!!

Gamu

First time i've ever seen another mk1 polo/derby on the road.. i couldnt believe my eyes :retard::lol:, assuming that was you earlier anyway

looked really clean in the 2 seconds it was in sight... ignore how dirty mine was, a lorry made me drive into some mud down some country roads earlier, not usually that bad :-D