Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Just ordered my Polo 6R

SAMBA VAN MAN

SAMBA VAN MAN

Hiya Guys

I'm new in here so go easy on me if i have some questions :-D I have ordered my Polo 6R Yesterday it should be with me March next year. What i wanted to ask you guys who have modded their cars if i lowered the suspension and changed my wheels would this effect the warranty?

I have had to put my restoration project on hold as i need a new car See my restoration here http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42025

Anyway i look forward to reading what you guys are doing to yours. :-)

Paul

P.S There are a few suspension kits on this site http://www.venommotorsport.com/make_model_...&button.y=8

Edited by SAMBA VAN MAN
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SAMBA VAN MAN

• Hurdy

• KieranLeighton

• daveb142

KieranLeighton

wheels wont but changing the suspension does :( hence why ares is still riding high :(

OEM ride high next big think in the scene :p

SAMBA VAN MAN
wheels wont but changing the suspension does :( hence why ares is still riding high :(

OEM ride high next big think in the scene :p

Hiya Kieran

Thanks for replying :-D Well thats great to know at least i can pop some nice rims on, I guess the warranty would only be affected on the suspension but nothing else on the vehicle like engine electrics.

SAMBA VAN MAN
Yeah only the suspension warranty will be void. What spec 6r you getting?

3 Door Candy White Match 1.4 16 valve

Climate Control

Winter Pack

Cornering Lights

Leather Multifunction Steering Wheel 8-)

The 1st one looks better, but The ones below look lush.

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/17_Inch_BBS...oy_Wheels__1470

Oh and lowering your car and fitting different wheels will only void the suspension part of the warranty - plus they may be a little more awkward with you if you go in for them to resolve rattles or loose trim etc.

If you fit a correct offset and PCD wheel with the correct OEM size tyres then that alone would not affect warranty. If you go to a no OEM size like a larger diameter, offset, PCD adapters and different width alloys/tyres, then you'll more than likely invalidate any part of the warranty to do with the brakes/hubs and unsprung section of the car. :-)

I thought if you took it to VW and got them to fit it the warranty stood?

I know Citroen used to honour the warranty if there garage fitted it, but it might be down to specific dealers.

randombadger69

fapping right, epecially if your replacing their components with "superior quality". Only issue i can see is they'll try and wriggle if for instance a wishbone or ball joint failed prematurely, they can say this was affected by.. stiffened spring rates (other blah), incorrect use of aftermarket components etc. On it goes. .

I'd fuck the warranty off on the suspension front. If you need a warranty, why are you buying that car in the first place. The whole concept of a warranty is that it "will" or "should not" give you a problem for x long, so sell it before it "may".

Those BBS Rims are sweet 8-) What is the offset i should be looking at for wheels for a Polo.

Standard 17 x 7" alloys have an ET46 offset. If you go for a 7.5" wide option then an ET36 to ET42 are what you need. If you intend to "slam" it on coilovers without camber mounts or on lowering springs, then ET46 on 7" wide wheels and ET 40-42 on 7.5" wide wheels are okay. :-)

Don't think i will be able to go bbs as they are 17 x 7.5 with an offset of 35 :-(

They should squeeze under as long as you don't go too low......or fit 205/40/17 rubber instead for a little extra stretch. After all what is 1mm of extra poke between friends eh ! :-D

Wow, amazing restoration going there man! :)

Also I vote the BBS' and lows! Might be worth speaking with VW to see what voids the warranty etc

Edited by daveb142
SAMBA VAN MAN
Wow, amazing restoration going there man! :)

Also I vote the BBS' and lows! Might be worth speaking with VW to see what voids the warranty etc

Hiya thanks for the advice about the tyres I'm just getting in to modifying new cars as i also have a thing for old VW's :-D So if a standard wheel has an offset of ET40 and these BBS have ET35 Would that bring the wheel face out or in if you know what i mean? :?

Thanks Daveb142 It has taken ages to get the Bus that far and it is still not finished. Least i can play with the Polo :-D

ET35 will stick out 5mm more than an alloy the same width at ET40.

An alloy that is 1" wider than another alloy with the same ET offset will stick out 1/2" more and also the inner edge will be 1/2" nearer to the suspension and inner side of the wing.

erixtar1992

mate you deserve some serious credit for that bus, looking through it at first i though it was only gonna be good for scrap! now look at it! such a transformation top job! :)

I had 17s on my old Fabia Estate and they still looked small. I would say you might be able to get away with 18s on a Polo.

I like the BBS CK's a lot and always like them on VW's. A classic design with a newer twist from a great alloy manufacturer.

I cannot see a downside, just choose the width and offset wisely :thumbsup:

SAMBA VAN MAN
I like the BBS CK's a lot and always like them on VW's. A classic design with a newer twist from a great alloy manufacturer.

I cannot see a downside, just choose the width and offset wisely :thumbsup:

They only do the ck in 18" x 8" wide with an et35, Just worried that the rear face of the wheel will catch the inner wheel well and shocks. Is there an advantage of fitting coilovers over fitting shorter springs. I know coilovers are adjustable but is there any other advantage?