dubownerbilco

Definitive mk2/3 rear disc conversion guide

dubownerbilco

ok so i have read all the random threads about the rear disc conversion and all it has done is raised more questions than it has answered!

no thread has actually given a definitive answer as to whats actually needed and from what cars (apart from the handbrake cable bit)

so a little list of parts needed and what from would be very useful :)

Edited by dubownerbilco

Cymro

Rear hubs and carriers from a mk2 Golf or 16v Corrado.

Rear brakes from a mk3/4 golf (they have less seizing issues than mk2 ones)

A rear brake compensator (unless already fitted (GT/G40)) or in-line sirocco commentators.

If you can get the adapters machined up then use the polo handbrake cables.

gofasterpinch

i've got a bias pedal box in mine, so also, didn't bother with the pedal box.

If you use mk4 golf alloy callipers, you will need to grind the fins down on them to clear 13" wheels

dubownerbilco

the only rear hubs i can find are all 5 stud though :S

gofasterpinch

you don't need hubs.

You need to run mk2 golf stub axels that are the same pattern as a mk/1/2/3 stub axel but they have dropouts to take disc carriers.

then you need mk2 239x10mm solid discs and wheel bearings to suit. the disc carries the bearings, and also has the 4 bolt pattern to mount the wheel to.

gofasterpinch

dubownerbilco
you don't need hubs.

You need to run mk2 golf stub axels that are the same pattern as a mk/1/2/3 stub axel but they have dropouts to take disc carriers.

then you need mk2 239x10mm solid discs and wheel bearings to suit. the disc carries the bearings, and also has the 4 bolt pattern to mount the wheel to.

ahh ok that makes more sense :)

dubownerbilco

those pictures are spot on cheers fella!

does this setup make any differnece to the original offset by anychance?

gofasterpinch

No, retains original track width.

prankstar2003

You should be able to get away with running any four stud drives train rear hubs. For example i have the golf items metioned above, but i also have the polo gti rear hubs/carriers/calipers. These are alloy like the mk3/4 golf items so less prone to siezing. Haven't fitted them yet as I have the golf ones on. Although using golf mk3/4 items is good in terms of siezing, but I'm sure they are girling 38s, as opposed to 36's (like from an mk2 golf/corrado) which is the size of the piston. I'm not sure if the discs therefore are larger too. If they are, then you would need to find a suitable 4 stud disc that was larger than the mk2 ones, or convert to five stud and use the mk3/4 golf rear discs. Does that make sense?

In the end i have used the mk2 stuff with home brew adaptors therefore using the original handbrake cables. You also may need to mount the hand brake cable bracket, on the rear beam backwards too

prankstar2003

Also I have a GT brake compensator on mine too, despite running 256 golf brakes on the front (its in my build thread)

dubownerbilco

well i think i have all the ammo i need now...

stub axels from mk2/3 golf (any rear disc model)

prefferably mk4 golf alloy calipers and pads to fit

mk2 golf 239x10 discs

mk2 golf wheel bearings

and have someone make the metal sleeve for the handbrake cable to keep things simple

and that should be the lot i suppose?

prankstar2003

I'd pop a compensator in there too. You'll also want the carriers from the mk2 golf

dubownerbilco
I'd pop a compensator in there too. You'll also want the carriers from the mk2 golf

any compensator in particular? and are the carriers mk2 specific or can they also come from the mk3?

Daryl

Why do people fit rear disc's on a polo Mk1-3. Are they much better than the drums? Do the polos really benefit running disks on the rear.

Thanks Daryl

Cymro

They look better. :lol:

prankstar2003

GT compensator is a bolt on fitment in the original place, but will require modification of the hardlines. I have a spare i may be persuaded to part with. PM me.

The carriers question is a good one. IIRC the rear discs of a mk3/4 are larger than the mk2 items (as they run girling 38s). This will mean that the calipers will sit further 'out' if you get me. If on the other hand they use the same size discs (239x10mm) then you should be fine. This would mean the 38mm piston is just there to add more force, and not necesarilly an indication of disc diameter. You will want to run mk2 discs for the above wheel fitment and bearing issues anyhow. Personally I'd go for the mk2 items as I know they fit. If you could find out the dimensions of a mk3/4 disc, and they turn out to be the same (or at least the diameter does) as the mk2 items you should be fine with mk3/4 carriers. If on the other hand they are bigger in diameter, then you will need mk2 items. Make sense?

• Like 1

dubownerbilco

So i think this is going to be a case of go the scrappys and do some research :) i shall be paying them a visit today in that case!

dubownerbilco

so i did some hunting today and picked up this lot:

mk3 golf gti stub axels £30

afd3d86c.jpg

mk2 golf gti rear brake carriers, although i asked for mk2 golf items, the ones he gave me have polo and passat written on them so it would appear they are available from other models too (you will see why you need these in particular below) £30 ripped off!

3c5fe3e7.jpg

mk4 golf alloy rear calipers £40

6cda84b0.jpg

all fitted together

3214b448.jpg

here you can see the difference between the carriers that were on the mk3 golf (left) and the mk2 golf (right) which is why you need them otherwise they will foul the disc

3e448583.jpg

only thing now is to choose which handbrake cable method to use...

• Like 1

prankstar2003

So Mk3 rear stubs work? That's handy to know. So the mk3 carriers are fatter than mk2? Do the calipers have a number stamped on them like 36/38?

dubownerbilco

the mk3 stubs look identical to the pictures of mk2's that i have seen so i dont see why not

and yes the mk3 carriers are fatter so are no good!

and from what i can make out they have 38 stamped on them

dubownerbilco
Christ remind me not to go to that scrap yard! Can get a whole disk conversion including disks and pads for 50 at my scrappy! :-o

it was babbington autospares, they have alot of cars and usually decent spec ones aswell but they are arrogant rip off merchants! and smashing VW (where i got the mk2 carriers) are just rip offs! even though they are decent fellas

Cymro

My setup is currently on a mates golf as we had to move the shell sharpish when he moved house as the landlord threatened to scrap it as it was we had to scrap a pretty mint shell as we couldn't find anywhere to store it or someone to buy it.

Once his is back on stands and ready to work on my mk3 will have its discs.

Got 2 sets here 1 from a mk2 and the other from a corrado paid 40 for them but the calipers turned out to be shot.

StinkyPete

rear discs look so much better and i think they work better too my opinion though lol and i should have realised mk3 golf rear stubs would fit as i fitted some camber shims to my mates mk3 golf and they had the same 4 bolt fitment but it didnt click while i was doing it lol probs because i had already done mine so was just doing the job for him even though i was meant to be helping him do it.

dubownerbilco
Christ remind me not to go to that scrap yard! Can get a whole disk conversion including disks and pads for 50 at my scrappy! :-o

it was babbington autospares, they have alot of cars and usually decent spec ones aswell but they are arrogant rip off merchants! and smashing VW (where i got the mk2 carriers) are just rip offs! even though they are decent fellas

Ahh right. I guess atleast you managed to sort everything in a couple of places that helped you out abit :thumbsup:

I was planning on going down the scrappy this weekend so I'll have a measure up and report back about mk4 golf carriers also ;)

i totaly forgot to even consider the mk4 golf carriers, i think that they will probably be like the fatter mk3 carriers though

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.