Sign in to follow this  
harris.racing

DVLA Guide - Declaring your engine conversions

harris.racing

Hey, thought this might be of some use.

I have just changed the engine in my 6n from a 1.4 8v to a 1.6 8v.

Rang my insurance and declared, that wasn't an issue (brentacre)

Then I had read up that the DVLA can be a pain, but I went ahead and followed the instructions on their website.

I had to do a few things:

CC Change on logbook

Engine number change on logbook

New tax disc (changed price category)

So I sent off to my LOCAL DVLA office:

Updated V5 (engine number, CC, signature and date of engine change)

V70 form (this is to change tax)

Cheque for tax - this is worked out by taking the monthly rate of new and old taxes, subtract old rate from new, thats the monthly difference, times by the amount of months left on tax...mine was £28.32 or something for the 4 remaining months.

Receipt of engine purchase (this was just a paper hand written receipt, with engine number and reg of vehicle it was removed from)

New insurance cert

MOT (not sure i HAD to send this)

Posted on Thurs, have just received the things back 2 working days later.

Got a new tax disc, and a modified new keeper slip, the V5 will have been sent to DVLA to print a new one.

This was something I was concerned about doing as it can be a pain.

Issues you may have are changing engine that reduces tax, they'll want proper proof of the engine change (engineers report, garage receipt for change etc)

Sometimes they can make a fuss about who changed the engine, they didn't with me, however, other people have sent letters explaining they're qualified mechanics and such and had no come backs.

I had to send my old tax disc off, so I was driving around without displaying a tax disc (this is is circumstance this is allowed)

Pretty pleased I got the bits back so fast with no issues, I did include a polite letter to them just explaining the documents and not to hesitate to contact me etc.

I know some people just tell their insurance, but that's kinda still not fully legit, I wanted to be legal, and its just cost me a tax increase, however, say going from a 1.0 to a 1.4 16v wouldn't change.

Its just that 1549cc or something, it jumps up a band, and my engine was 1598 :(

Also, ensure you write exact CC down, not just a 1.6 :)

This may be of use to people!

Nick

harris.racing

Thanks for sticky...still waiting my new full V5 to come through, but I still have the new keepers slip which they have amended and stamped with a DVLA stamp in the mean time!

Jake

so if i 20vt my caddy van i tell my insurance and sent this off to the dvla:-

Updated V5 (engine number, CC, signature and date of engine change)

V70 form (this is to change tax)

Cheque for tax -not sure how you work that?

Receipt of engine purchase (this was just a paper hand written receipt, with engine number and reg of vehicle it was removed from)

New insurance cert

MOT

& thats it?

harris.racing

You'll have to compare your current tax class, isn't it a 1.9 diesel pre 2000? May stay the same not sure.

harris.racing

Currently on attempt 2 for the mk3 !

MikeyMK

They wouldn't accept the 1.6 AFH at first because the engine number was registered as a 1.4.

I had to send a letter fully explaining the conversion on company headed paper to prove id gone up a tax category - they wanted proof i qualified to pay more tax!

It took ages, during which time i merrily drove around with cheap tax.. I was later told headed paper wouldn't have been necessary had i explained i was a competent and able mechanic in said letter.

Ideally, you'd sort the paperwork first, then do the conversion once clear to do so.

harris.racing

Yeah, the 6n was easily done. For the mk3 they threw everything back at me, with a letter addressed to "nathan" instead of Nicholas.

Have a report from a garage now and sent it back, we shall see

Le catweasel

what do you do if you dont have the donor vehicles reg? i.e just bought an engine off a bloke?

harris.racing

Think it's more proof of that engine being fitted to the car, if you look on the DVLA website it says acceptable types of evidence :)

Le catweasel

Il get round to it one day :lol:

Frascano

What if i haven't got the reg for the engine?! :(

harris.racing

The DVLA site says various things can be used as evidence, I was just stating what I had used.

I know engines are bought and sold on here like anything, no receipts changing hands or anything.

It wasn't much hassle getting a letter from a garage, verification of engine number, put it on the ramp to check its fitment etc and a road test.

Just clarifies that engines fitted to that car.

gregb278

Do you have to fill in a v70 if you go from a 1.0 to 1.4 16v or is that just for a 1.6 conversion ?

harris.racing

Nope that's to change your tax class, only needs be done if you go above 1549cc or something mate

harris.racing

Went my local TPS yesterday, used my old 6n's reg for parts, came up as a 1.6 AEE even on their system :)

polovr6man

Heres my Engineers report should anyone want to gain knowledge from it (Copy it) ha ;)

report2_zpsd30f8f13.jpg

mark_crox

Sweet.. very useful! thank you!

polovr6man

No problem, still no modified log book back yet. I'm biting my nails here haha.

Ill update as and when i receive their verdict. Bloke at DVLA office was certainly impressed with it though so hopefully ill have no problems.

harris.racing

First time round mine was done within a week, well I had my old logbook new keepers slip with a DVLA stamp, then logbook took normal time to be processed like when you buy/sell a car.

Second time round was a pain, got rejected first time round as they wanted a letter saying the engine was fitted, couldn't understand that the purchase receipt I had was when was fitted to a previous car of mine, which I then removed and fitted to the mk3, oh well, as soon as I sent a letter it was processed, just ran out of tax in the mean time and due to tax class change I couldn't tax it

ian131

I think you will find engine size will only affect tax on pre 2000 registered cars after that it goes on emision based tax rates

harris.racing

I'd still tell them, some systems seem to update, others don't, and it's up to you to confirm all the details of your policy are correct

madnemo

I'm basically swapping my polo 6n 1.0 engine for a afh engine. I've got the doner car with the v5 log book in my name, soo if i write down the engine no in my log book and send them the doner log book as proof of receipt with it, will everything be ok?

Nimal

harris.racing

Don't know to be honest mate.

First time I did all this was sweet, second time they were a pain.

I'm not sure if a V5 would work as you owning it as its not proof of ownership.

Can only try, just send as much supporting evidence as you can and a kind letter, and take a copy of everything !!

madnemo

can someone shed some light please, Basically i just got home from work and got a letter from dvla. I have my log book and the engine size size has been updated to 1390cc but the model of the car on the log book says polo 1.0L. is this correct? i thought it would have said polo 16v etc.

Thanks

Nimal

Yeti

Yeah, you can't change the make and model, they'll always be the same unless you re-register the car (and I really wouldn't go into that, you might end up on a Q plate or IVAing it). There's folks on here who've done full, absolute GT and G40 conversions, literally everything but the shell changed and the car is still a CL or whatever on the logbook.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this