doyler

6n2 headlight washers jets and auto headlight adjustment on 6n

nige8021
so obviously i would need to put it in same place as a 6n2 gti the make the sensor loom join the headlight loom and the speedo sensor is that right

yes new loom from under the rear seats and then splice it into the headlight loom (7 pin connector) and pick up the speedo sensor from the gearbox, then there is some adaptation needed with Vagcom, I doubt if the required mounting holes will be on the axle and the body to mount the sensor!!

can i not just use my existing speedo sensor

Yes pin 2 of the gearbox speed sensor (white/blue wire) or from the speedo unit (clocks) pin 27 (white wire)

doyler

thanks mate you bin a great help

nige8021

Been doing some more thinking about this, in the standard loom there is a connector (RED) behind the relay box, this is for the normal electric adjust lights and the wiring is complete down to the 19 pin disconnect by the radiator, so all you'll need is the 7 pin headlight loom

The mating connector p/no 1J0972722 (0.84€uros) and the mating connector for the level sensor p/no 3B0972734 (1.1€uros) and the pins and sockets you can get from www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk

Female 0.5~1.0mm p/no 051601

Female 1.0~2.0mm p/no 051602

Male 0.5~1.0mm p/no 051603

Male 1.0~2.0mm p/no 051604

If you run your new loom from the rear to the fuse/relay box you will be able to pick up all the wiring required without having to go through the bulkhead, I've modified the drawing for the sensor wiring to show you what wires to connect where

Still can't find any pictures of how and where the sensor is mounted onto the axle?

Duffy

Bump on this. 

Is is there a separate ECU for this or is all that’s required is to wire in the rear axle level sensor in place of the cabin adjuster? 

🙂

nige8021

The sensor unit is the controller/ECU for the levelling and connects to the "K" diagnostic line for the correct setting up of the headlight beam adjusment.

There are two wires from the sensor unit that connect to the signal wires from the old "dash adjuster"  

Duffy

I did suspect that all they’d done was to essentially take the dash rotary and fit it to a moving arm connected to the suspension. 

I’ve retrofitted self levelling to Boxsters where it’s 2 sensors and a completely separate ECU under the bonnet, this looks much simpler. 

Thanks

Duffy

Got the car in bits for this just now. 

The wiring on the sensor on the rear axle is colour coded listed on the loom I have and from the diagrams I've seen appear to be used as follows

Yellow - Switched 12v via ignition switch and headlamp switch

Red/blue - Signal to the adjuster motors

Brown - Earth

Black/Blue -  Not listed as a colour on Nige's diagrams that I can see but black/red is and is just another 12v feed (that also goes to the headlamp adjusters)

Green/White  - Speed sensor signal 

Grey/White - K diagnosis wire (if this is connected I take it the ECU needs to be coded to recognise it)

According the the wiring diagram I have here, the dash adjuster has

Yellow - As above

Red/blue - As above

Brown - As above

Grey/blue feed for interior lighting.  

Green - - permanent 12 v to light switch and switched from there to adjuster (which I think just illuminates the switch housing when sidelights are on/ignition is off) 

Ergo 3 wires from the sensor to the existing manual adjuster wiring (or 2 if you take a local earth) 

Can green from existing wiring be used as the feed to black/blue on the new. 

The remaining grey/green white are new and specific to the autolevelling. 

The hole for the wiring grommet for the sensor is already in the floor under the rear passenger side seat and this gives you the mounting position for the sensor. 

Does that appear to make sense to those that have been here?

🙂

nige8021

On the original dash adjuster & dimmer unit, the three wires connected with the range control are the Brown (ground) Pin 1, Yellow (12v supply from the dipped beam) Pin 4 & Red/Blue (signal to headlight) Pin 2 

On my diagrams there is no green wire going to the original adjuster/dimmer, there is a Grey (12v sidelight supply) Pin 3 and the Grey/Blue (instrument backlighting output) Pin 5

So you need to connect the Yellow wire from the Sensor to the Yellow wire that you remove from the original dash connector and do the same for the Red/Blue wires, at the sensor end connect the Black/Blue or Black/Red to the Yellow wire, and make a local ground for the Brown wire, the other two, the Speed sensor & "K" line can be connected to the wiring on the back of the Radio as both signals are there, Blue/White (Speed signal) & Grey/White (K line)

You need to connect the "K" line so that you can correctly setup the headlight beam adjustment, as via that line and using the correct diagnostic equipment you signal the auto sensor to put out a neutral level signal, then you adjust the beam alignment to the correct settings