Model: 1992 J Reg Polo G40

Engine: Standard with 65mm pulley and chip

Suspension: Standard

Brakes:Standard

Wheels and Tyres:Standard BBS Toyo proxes

Exterior Styling:Tornado Red

Interior Styling:G40 interior

ICE and Security:Alpine head unit with alpine dashboard speakers

Comments: I bought a G40 not that long ago at 2011 GTI fest wanting it as a project, it had the oil light flashing and buzzer going off but i got told the oil pressure was okay and it drove 2 hours home okay. Also it would not start after u turned it off when it was warm, witch i was fine with as i did not want a prefect car coz i wanted stuff to work on. So i got it back home gave it a good clean. After a few mouths after getting it i got it into a garage to keep it dry. I'm wanting a full respray inside and out full engine rebuild I'm gonna do the hole lot. if I'm gonna do a project I'm gonna to it properly and do everything.

This is it before i started any work on it.

50D5457C-659C-4910-8D82-48E17D5B5909-204

C466AF36-4045-4895-972C-1E431A35DF7C-204

E28BA0B9-5597-4EE5-98E7-74F4DEFE0E0F-204

Edited by RyanC

PeteG40

dont suppose the no plate ends in PDD?

RyanC

So I found the two problems with the car the non start problem was earthing fault and the battery was crap, so I cleaned up the earths and put the battery off my bready and it started every time so thats that sorted. The oil light flashing and buzzing is the senders or the clocks I've checked the oil pressure and it was fine but I am rebuilding the engine top to bottom anyways. So I started to pull it apart.

Edited by RyanC

RyanC

engine about to come out and then i can strip that down ready to see what in gonna do for the rebuild of it.

IMG_0343_zpsf0f1670e.jpg

Edited by RyanC

RyanC

I'm gonna get the body work side of things done first and then start on the engine as that is the bit i enjoy doing.

I've also ordered a stage 2 subframe and ARB blocks :)

Edited by RyanC

vwjake31

wow looks like a nice clean standard one. it would be a shame to alter this one too much

PeteG40

i used to own this, as did Rae and Dougy g40. Nice car. I rescued it (i bought it as a shell, engine and about 4 stacker boxes of parts!!!) then sold it at bvf in 2008 or 9 i think.

RyanC
i used to own this, as did Rae and Dougy g40. Nice car. I rescued it (i bought it as a shell, engine and about 4 stacker boxes of parts!!!) then sold it at bvf in 2008 or 9 i think.

sweet well thanks for rescuing it coz i love the thing :D

Jake

Looking good !

RyanC

bit of an update

I've taken the loom out just got to take the rack out and then take the wings off so i can clean the bay and all the other bits like the inner arches and underside.

IMG_0373_zps5adbd26e.jpg

rack now out so i took the wings off so i can sort the rust out

IMG_0381_zps186930c8.jpg

so i started gunking the bay and arches and then hit it with a pressure washer here is the arces and the bay after cleaning it

IMG_0402_zps6541eecc.jpg

IMG_0403_zps7f9b7b2d.jpg

also clean the underside as it was covered in oil :)

IMG_0404_zps0a55dd7c.jpg

and then found 2 bad bits

the battery tray under the dash has a hole after using my finger to make it so i will cut it out and weld a plate on there so thats not a problem.

IMG_0382_zpsde376d76.jpg

and after cleaning the bay i found this crack on the os just above were the drive shaft sits i think it must of had a front ender at one point but its dented the metal out aswell :/ so when i get my subframe i dont think it will fit as the shape will be a bit differant but hopfully not. its not noticeable unless u really look but its there, I'm thinking of welding up the crack and hammering the dent back in. but it looks like it has bin there for a long time must off happend quite long ago if anyone has any ideas plz let me no what u think thanks

IMG_0663_zps263f3430.jpg

IMG_0662_zps100d980f.jpg

Edited by RyanC

Mayney

Good work so far, keep it going :)

demolover

Is that crack in the chasis leg? Ouch! That must have been a pisser to find :-(

Jake
Is that crack in the chasis leg? Ouch! That must have been a pisser to find :-(

Get a weld on the crack and get a PPP subframe on it :)

runforrestrun

That inner wing looks lovely now!

vwjake31

lucky you found that crack really, i wouldn't like to think id be driving round unaware of that

Edited by vwjake31

RyanC

Thanks guys :) yeah when i found it i wasnt happy but i can sort it out I'm gonna drill out the end on the crack to stop it from cracking anymore the weld it up i want to ask people what they think i sould do first tho :)

Edited by RyanC

mini_mayhem

looking like a top notch job so far.

that crack is nasty, best get that sorted, worth stripping it down just to find it i reckon.

Keep the updates rolling in.

do you have a time frame for this?

RyanC
looking like a top notch job so far.

that crack is nasty, best get that sorted, worth stripping it down just to find it i reckon.

Keep the updates rolling in.

do you have a time frame for this?

i want it done this time next year if i can really hopefully!

RyanC

haven't updated it in a while been busy but here is what I've been doing ill try update it as i go along now!

battery tray cut out so there is no rust there now. i think i relocating the battery to the boot so will end up cutting out the battery support as i wont need that

IMG_0659_zpsd6ec2429.jpg

Edited by RyanC

RyanC

i also got my subframe now which was gd coz i could see if that crack in the chassis has done any damage as in moved the shape off the chassis a bit!

and it did :/

it went on the back tca ok but trying to bolt it to the front it just wouldnt fit :/ as in the bolt holes are about 5mm out each side :(

IMG_0652_zps9acd686d.jpg

IMG_0656_zpscd8c64f1.jpg

Edited by RyanC
  • Like 1

PeteG40

take the front bumper bar off and the radiator bar and get a ratchet strap- apparently there is that much play in the front of them!!!!

RyanC
take the front bumper bar off and the radiator bar and get a ratchet strap- apparently there is that much play in the front of them!!!!

What and pull the two legs into each other so it fits?

PeteG40

apparently thats the idea. if the two track control arm points haven't moved, thats the crucial bit. there is apparently lots of play inthe front legs with bumper bar etc off

josé

my subframe was only 2mm out so i mounted the rear first on the TCA mounts then mounted the front afterwards, don't forget to slacken off your anti-roll bar mount that will give you lots of extra movement with the subframe,

when mounting the front passenger side put a jack between your chassis leg and subframe to move it, you might just get it but 5mm is alot of movement especially if you've got a stage 3 frame as they are alot more robust than the stage 2 and don't move an awful lot. i only just moved mine enough to get the bolts in.

hope this helps

josh

RyanC

Right sweet thanks alot for the help guys ill give it a go!