Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

polo 9n camber

adam.obrien

Hi there guys.

Just went to get my camber done at north eastern tyres exhausts in Middlesbrough. They said that my camber wasn't adjustable. People have had problems with these before with them not knowing they are doing. Just want to clear my head because people have said it is adjustable but 2 garages have said it isn't.

Cheers guys

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• polo04

• bickerton

• jennings1992

• adam.obrien

Top Posters In This Topic

heartagram

I thought they were fixed axles on the rear of a 9N. Which would mean you only get camber adjustment on the front. I'm sure all Watercooled VWs are like that tbh.

bickerton

I have no idea how you guys are adjusting your camber....

The rear is a beam and the hubs are fixed, this can only be adjusted by putting shims between the stub axle and the beam.

The fronts have tiiiiny adjustment with the use of the top mounts and other than that the sub frame can be moved slightly but that it purely to square up the wheels to one another not to add actual camber ie 1 degree neg per, this can only be accomplished using adjustable top mounts.

The rear is a beam and the hubs are fixed, this can only be adjusted by putting shims between the stub axle and the beam.

The fronts have tiiiiny adjustment with the use of the top mounts and other than that the sub frame can be moved slightly but that it purely to square up the wheels to one another not to add actual camber ie 1 degree neg per, this can only be accomplished using adjustable top mounts.

I think you may have a toy car polo or a REALLY low spec one, my polo is pretty basic but I can adjust camber front and rear, front adjustment is through loosening a bolt on the bit the bottom of the shock slides into and then attaches to the steering knuckle (alot of movement) and the rears, i don't know the name of the parts but basically if you tighten the bolt it gives you more negative camber or loosen it and it gives you positive camber, again lots adjustment on this (I have 9j's and they stuck out about and inch and a half, so I put as much negative camber as I could on it and then It was sticking out by about 5mm,but it was purely on the inner edge of the tyre so had to add a bit more positive)

jennings1992

I think you may have a toy car polo or a REALLY low spec one, my polo is pretty basic but I can adjust camber front and rear, front adjustment is through loosening a bolt on the bit the bottom of the shock slides into and then attaches to the steering knuckle (alot of movement) and the rears, i don't know the name of the parts but basically if yo tighten the bolt it gives you more negative camber or loosen it and it gives you positive camber, again lots adjustment on this (I have 9j's and they stuck out about and inch and a half, so I put as much negative camber as I could on it and then It was sticking out by about 5mm,but it was purely on the inner edge of the tyre so had to add a bit more positive)

Are you on crack? There's no adjustment atall on a 9n other then the small amount like bickerton mentioned, as for the rears, what are you jibering on about? I wouldn't reckomed leaving wheel nuts loose. Ecause that's about the only ki d of adjustment that sounds like or would give any of the results your talking about

Edited by jennings1992
bickerton

I think you may have a toy car polo or a REALLY low spec one, my polo is pretty basic but I can adjust camber front and rear, front adjustment is through loosening a bolt on the bit the bottom of the shock slides into and then attaches to the steering knuckle (alot of movement) and the rears, i don't know the name of the parts but basically if you tighten the bolt it gives you more negative camber or loosen it and it gives you positive camber, again lots adjustment on this (I have 9j's and they stuck out about and inch and a half, so I put as much negative camber as I could on it and then It was sticking out by about 5mm,but it was purely on the inner edge of the tyre so had to add a bit more positive)

The only bolt on the rear of the hub is the splined one and that's purely for securing the damper into the rear of the hub, nothing more, if you are able to adjust the camber by this it's cos something broken or you have custom suspension.

The rear camber you seem to be adjusting seems like you could be undoing the stub axle and leaving it loose, or again you have custom rear suspension, which i can assure you you probably don't have on you massivly high specced car

Edited by Bickerton

The technician at my work has just had a look at my car to see for camber adjustment and he said I'm correct with the front and rear but the rear has an off centred washer or something similar, so works in the way I said.. I have only worked at Nissan for two years so I could be wrong, but the technician has worked at various manafactuars and has over 30years experience so HIGHLY doubt he is wrong and if I have done something dangerous on my car I highly doubt it would have ever passed the 3 mot's that it has had since me adjusting my camber, I bought my car 100% standard and I know exactly what has been put on there and my whole rear set up has had nothing done to it, so it is a standard thing for 9n's to have adjustment