Sign in to follow this  
stealyourface

BreadVan Tinkering

stealyourface

Right, been a Breadvan owner for about a month now, time to get a buildthread up seeing as I've spent soo long reading all of yours.

Shes a 250 quid bargain with a wee bit of tax and test and only small bits of surface rust so not a bad place to start.

its a mighty 1.3 but the poor engine does like to piss oil everywhere, possibly due to the pipe that comes out of the rocker cover is missing altogether. Does anyone know where this pipe goes to? is it the side of the cyl head just under the distributor?

Right enough rambling time for a few pics

6c331900.jpg

f1a37b74.jpg

When being arty involves hanging out of the car and aiming wildly at whatever, I'm quite pleased with the result

bbfaa829.jpg

Now to the serious side of things, I've begun collecting some brand new suspension bits n pieces, wishbones, track rod ends, new philj struts and srings and new top mounts, I'm going to change the lot over on a weekend when the sun is shining but i was having a look under the car to see how the old stuff unbolts and i realised i have no clue how to swap the track rod end arm and the bottom spring holder from the original ones to the nice new philj ones..

Untitled_zps04245508.jpg

excuse the bad photobucket editing

but I'm confused as the new shocks have no where to mount the springs and steering rack etc

SAM_0279_zps310d384a.jpg

if anyone thts lowered there polo could shed some light on this i would be most grateful, i cant wait to have my first lowered car!!

Yeti

The top shock's a rear, the circlip adjusts for height, and the spring supports (in the bag) sit on there.

The bottom shock's a front. They're inserts, you take the strut off the car, undo the cap, pull the old shock out of the strut.

Looks like a TA Technix kit. The front shocks on those are a little under length so end up knocking. If you chuck a couple of 2p's down each strut before you put the shock in that sorts it.

stealyourface

Thank you good sir, you are damn good they are ta technics, so i just need to whip the old ones off and take some wd and a hammer to them sweet.

Do the rear ones use a topmount like the front? i haven't actually had a look in the car tbh

cheers again

Yeti

Yeah, the rear top mounts are self explanatory when they're off.

erixtar1992

Got no 2p's in mine and they dont nock. Luck of the draw i guess.

stealyourface

Not a particularly exciting update, but I was having a go at the suspension swap yesterday and I can't undo the anti roll bar from the wishbone as the nut it very rusty, and I don't want to snap it cos I've gotta take the car to uni everyday, any ideas how I could get it off? I've tried a shit load of wd and force but it's not budging.

Or are there any Arb's anyone wants rid of?

Just out of curiosity are the gt Arb's a direct swap, and are they any bigger?

8volly

get an impact gun on it? or just try harder.. lol

and yes the gt arb is a straight swap. if your changing the arb take a look at some new arb blocks, stiffens the front end up a treat :nod:

MartinB

GT ARB would be the same as what you already have...

mr-snob

i had a look at this car when it was for sale for a mate

it had oil everywhere and the fan belt was slipping :|

the pipe you on about comes off the rocker cover and drops down into your sump if i correct :biggrin: