Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

''Direct Fit'' Bucket Seat Mounts

harris.racing

Hey,

As I'm sure some of you are aware I'm after some bucket seats for my Mk2f.

Weighing up the options of making my own subframes by using standard seat bases, but also considering just biting the bullet and buying some ''direct fit'' subframes.

All I seem to be able to find is generic pictures of these, which seem to be a bolt in type, like some cars use.

However, as we all know a Mk2f's seats just slide into the runners...

Just wondering if anyone has used any direct fit mounts, and has any pictures or can explain how they work?

Have just priced it up on demon tweeks and ''Sportsseats4u'' or something, for some Sparco seats + mounts + a slider so you can move the seat.

It gives the option of just the base to mount them in, and then you pay extra for the adjustable sliders...

This kind of suggests to me that the standard runners in the car are made redundant and you drill the car and bolt these new mounts in?

Any help appreciated, its all a bit vague so some experience on the subject would be nice :)

Cheers.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harris.racing

• Cymro

• KiZ

• gofasterpinch

What do you mean by direct fit?

Ill be taking one of my seats out next week and ill take a pic of how my subframes are mounted. the only thing is the adjuster on my recaros is part of the seat base and not the frame.

not sure why he has done it this way- but made his own and mounted it in a way where the angle of the seat changes as you move the seat back/forward

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?na...pic&t=59587

could adopt this idea- and add your side mount rails to it (providing the seat isnt to wide)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/show...427&page=14

this link really shows what you need to make- fit the side mounts to them at the desired width when you make them

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?na...pic&t=19520

KiZ those in your first and third link are roughly the same as mine but mine were made considerably more industrial. 3mm thick box steel. :lol:

The metal in that first link just looks pathetic, first time you jump in quickly it looks as if it would bend.

harris.racing

Well, where you go on a website selling seats, and theres a box saying ''direct fit seat mounts'' lol.

Basically brackets which bolt to the seats to fit a specific vehicle, so you select ''Hi I own an old polo'' then its says that'll be £92.3934 + vat + postage + old vw tax

You know what I mean? lol.

Kiz that first design is a bit mad I think, third link appears nice, similar idea to what I had for fabricating my own, just the price of them may be worth paying instead of making something thats in charge of safety.

Anyway less of the sarcasm,

Ceri you can buy mounts cant you, so you dont need to make anything, you get a box delivered to your house and you can just bolt everything in?

harris.racing

This is what I mean..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HC-738-OMP-SEAT-...=item4abe355cdd

Looking by that picture of the actual item instead of a generic one, it will just bolt into the rear runners and front in a fixed position. you then bolt the brackets or adjustable seat runner to that base plate, then the seat to your brackets of choice.

harris.racing

What you mean there was nothing like that? Things like that have been obtainable for bloody years lol!

sorry, they were extortionately expensive. :lol:

also most involved bolting them to the floor or drilling holes to mount them.

harris.racing

Haha fair enough mate, suppose they've only just got electricity and running water in Wales so I wouldn't have expected much more ;)

Them ones will work, got the feeling seats will be bare high tho,

Like higher than a big grizzly bear !

years ago i bought some bucket seats for my first polo from cobra. Asked them to supply me with some polo specific subframes and i think at the time the subframes were around £60 each. First time round they sent polo 6n subframes and when I did get some frames which fitted the polo, i'm convinced they were designed for the mk2 golf as the seats once fitted sat a bit high. To add to my annoyance the build quality of the subframes was pretty piss poor, so if it were me i would avoid buying ready made seat subframes and make your own.

Currently got a set of mx5 seats in the front of my gt. They are mounted on heavilly modified polo subframes that me and a mate made. (essentially, we chopped away at them and got the to sit as low as possible, once the box section frame which the seats attach too was welded on top. TBH there wasn't much left other than the slide mech and the side runners. the rest was chopped away. Had to loose the height adjust mech as the seat wouldnt sit low enough with it remaining.)

harris.racing

Yeah I thought that about the height adjust after looking again.

I'd imagine they're golf ones, due to how the sit in the rails. Bit of extra height isn't an issue for me, maybe for passengers though!

Undecided on seats too, wanted something light but ideally base mount

gofasterpinch

i have some mk3 polo subframes that will take base mount seats (or adaptors for side mounts) , i think i even have sliders for them (at least one for sure)

i have no use for them any more, they're corbeau ones.

You won't get light and base mount in the same sentence though, base mount normally means steel framed rather than composite shelled.

harris.racing

Yeah swaying towards just making something up.

Seems ~7.5kg is the lightest kinda base mount without spending £££ on carbon stuff.

Can't decide on retractable or fixed harnesses either.

gofasterpinch

weight limit on FIA seats is 6kg anyway.

i might even have some 3" Luke harnesses going spare that i can't use as they're out of date. 4 point aircraft release proper jobs

I also have no use for the above seat bases, if you wanted to pick some up? i think i paid £120 the pair new from corbeau, you could stick me an offer....

mark_crox

I made my own seat base as all the seat bases you could buy that fitted into the runners meant the seat was too high to be comfortable.

harris.racing

So can anyone recommend some decent (comfortable) fixed back preferably base mounted bucket seats? Light; iv found 7.5kg sparco ones, so must be lighter, £600 for a pair maximum.

found some side mounts which are 5.5kg but not much info around on them really!