dart_strife

quick question on my carb conversion

dart_strife

The thin brown earth that attached onto the spi inlet manifold bracket, do i need to earth it to the car chassis ? or can i just leave it as i am not using half of the loom any more ? from that entire loom, i only need the two connectors in between my spark plugs on the engine block, thermostat housing sensors. (tell me iff I'm wrong about that )

And the unit in the pic which has the black braided hose to the spi air intake, there is a loom connector and a clear hose on it which goes to the carbon canister, can i remove the unit in the pic ? or do i attach it to one of the out-takes that vent to the atmosphere on my bike carbs ? or do i do something else with it ? (iff so what ?)

cheers lads

post-66071-1356629915_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1356629942_thumb.jpg

dart_strife

Plenty of lads have done the conversion , what did you do with them lol ?

g40dabbsy

the brown cables are earth cables that were attached to the inlet manifold

i would just attach them to the engine or chassis

the carbon canaster get rid along with the eletric valve vacume pipeing

just vent the pipe thst comes from the feul tank into the air inlet just rember its feul tank breather so will be feul vapor comeing out of it so no smokeing lighters

dart_strife
the brown cables are earth cables that were attached to the inlet manifold

i would just attach them to the engine or chassis

the carbon canaster get rid along with the eletric valve vacume pipeing

just vent the pipe thst comes from the feul tank into the air inlet just rember its feul tank breather so will be feul vapor comeing out of it so no smokeing lighters

ok cool, just the answer I'm looking for. one question though, is the carbon canister there to catch the petrol fumes though ?

dart_strife

Right i removed the unit which had the hose to the carbon canister, however there is another hose that goes down under the car , do i NOT need this one either ?

Also the picture of the big loom connector, this joins the small loom, and i have practically disconnected all the connectors off it i think, do i need it ?

And the two connectors on the top end of the engine block in-between the spark plugs, do i need these as they are incorporated into the loom ?

I can separate the loom i think to keep the temperature switches on the thermostat housing.

And the small earth wire from the pic above, this is on the loom connector from the lamba sensor, so i will be connecting this to an AFR, so will earth it to the chassis, I'm Right in not needing it plugged into the small loom aint i lol ?

I want to work on the car some more tomorrow so quick answer would be a great help lads , cheers.

I will also disconnect my ECU tomorrow, i want to remove as much loom as possible back there, i could just leave it all plugged in i reckon and not use it, but would rather take in out.

post-66071-1356886643_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1356886722_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1356888580_thumb.jpg

Edited by dart_strife

adam-

Remove the carbon canister completely. They only work for 5000 miles or something and then are redundant, so remove all the piping totally and the canister and throw it in the bin!

As we've said, you can't plug your lambda sensor into an AFR - it won't work because your lambda is a narrowband, so it only sees fueling between 0.97 and 1.03 or something silly small like that.

You need a wideband and gauge, the AEM ones are 120 quid delivered, mine came promptly.

If that's the case, you can remove every bit of loom you find. You oil need oil pressure, engine temp and reverse for the clocks and your light. All injector harnesses and stuff can be removed. Don't bin it though incase you wanna put it back.

Carbs on, sort fuelling and wire in the MK2 ignition stuff. You've got that, right?

Cymro

Carbon canister removal is covered.

isn't the brown wire the lambda one? If so bin it.

dart_strife
Carbon canister removal is covered.

isn't the brown wire the lambda one? If so bin it.

yes i have every thing i need just about, waiting on choke cable, couple of blanking plugs and an air filter for the pipe down the back of the engine.

ok remove the carbon canister, cool, I'm sure its easy enough, were is it covered ?

Cymro

It used to be a commonly asked question. There may even have been an faq.

You don't want to blank the hose coming from the petrol tank as it acts as a breather.

Also just sticking one of those breather filters on the block breather will mmake the car smell of oil fumes when stopped. Better off with a catch tank.

dart_strife
It used to be a commonly asked question. There may even have been an faq.

You don't want to blank the hose coming from the petrol tank as it acts as a breather.

Also just sticking one of those breather filters on the block breather will mmake the car smell of oil fumes when stopped. Better off with a catch tank.

Yes i imagined i should blank that off , these are for the coolent hoses from the spi inlet manifold on the thermostat housing, can you explain this catch tank to me please , any pics ?

dart_strife

cheers cymro for pm ing me with the catch tank details.

i spent some time on the car today, I'm making great progress, here is some images, and new questions lol.

right i have cut the return pipe back to before the petrol tank starts and blanked it for now.

i have removed the carbon canister and cut it back to the same position and left it for now.

i have removed the inline pump, accumulator and fuel filter housing for now.

i understand i have to leave the carbon canister hose to breathe at the rear of the car, blank off the return hose as far back as possible.

now because the hoses all go out of sight up above the petrol tank and rear beam, i cant tell which is what. the large hose to the fuel filter is the feed from the pump, then after that i need to remove the inline pump and accumulator and join the feed to the feed hose with my 6mm to 8mm connector, which one is the feed off the accumulator ? which one is the return ? is the one left the carbon canister hose ?

I'm abit confused lol

post-66071-1357321678_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1357321688_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1357321698_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1357321718_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1357321730_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1357321766_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1357321789_thumb.jpg

post-66071-1357321837_thumb.jpg

harris.racing

Trying to think how I did mine now,

I think i removed the inline pump and accumulator, but kept the filter underneath.

Joined the feed line up, which I think is black, not sure, ill have a look for some pics.

But basically I just joined the feed into the accum to the fuel filter, 6-8mm joiner and some pipe I think

dart_strife

Cool look plz , wanna get it done tomorrow pal , also you just said you got rid of the pump and accumulator , then you said you kept the accumulator lol , looks easier to keep it , but iff its not needed then I would like to be rid of ot .

I want to extend some of my wiring looms too , what wire should I get ? Is there a type of wire suitable for all parts of the loom ?

harris.racing

Nah I joined where the feed went into the accum mate, it goes into it 6mm, then comes out 8 which goes to 10 on the inline pump iirc.

Cable depends what for as to what rating you need mate.

dart_strife
Nah I joined where the feed went into the accum mate, it goes into it 6mm, then comes out 8 which goes to 10 on the inline pump iirc.

Cable depends what for as to what rating you need mate.

So remove the inline pump , join together with hose , I have 6-8mm joiner and a 8mm joiner . And some hose from the return which I removed . Well I want to extend the gear box loom , the lighting loom which I will be joining to the coil pack , and the bike pump wires . And I extended my washer bottle to the boot , and when I used it. It blew the fuse , wire not good enough ?

dart_strife

since I'm now keeping the accumulator, its not a 6-8mm connector i need, its a 8-10mm one, annoying, i have ordered it. i looked through the haynes manual and looked at wire thickness's on the diagrams, they range from 0.5 to 6.0 mm2, i went to b&q and bought some 6.0 mm2, as long as the wire is the same thickness or thicker I'm fine aint i ? literally now i just need to do some wiring and the cables

Edited by dart_strife

dart_strife

I'm coming close to bogg bros time, can you help me with a last few checks ?

bike fuel

pump black wire to chassis / do you have a pic of were you have wired the 12v feed ? / i have put the fuel cut off switch on the 12v feed wire

MK2 loom

black wire on the battery negative / coil wires = green wire to coil - black wire to coil + / lighting loom connector black and red wire to coil - black wire to coil +

dart_strife

Cheers mikymk bike pump live wire to coil +

Is it mk2 battery earth to the chassis battery - earth ?

Fuel cut off Inertia switch in bike pump + or - wire ?

MikeyMK
since I'm now keeping the accumulator..

This is gonna end in tears.

dvderlm
Fuel cut off Inertia switch in bike pump + or - wire ?

Surely in + wire on negative earth car.

If the - wire (even on a totally plastic pump in plastic mount) were to wear away insulation on a bit of chassis, no fuse would blow, and the pump would still have a route for electricity to flow with a tripped switch later in - wire.

dart_strife

cheers for the PM mikey i get that crystal clear now for wiring the cut off switch

the reason I'm asking about the mk2 loom battery - / earth wire is : i have been reading through the faq again and am up to page 17, it says in one part , wire to battery earth, which to me points to the earth terminal on the inside of the wing, which the big earth leads goes to from the battery - terminal, then in another part it says to the battery - , which to me sounds like the battery - terminal , and the ring connector does fit round the bolt on the terminal so I'm assuming it definitely is there now.

Also looking up to page 17 i haven't seen any comments on wiring a cut off switch yet, but maybe it will be there in later pages, however you have told me now.

And in a few of comments it says to get two ignition live wires from a small black wire near the ignition when removing the steering wheel column, one to the coil + , and one to the fuel pump + wire , how ever since I'm putting my fuel pump wire + on the coil + terminal, that would take that down to one ignition live wire , how ever is there not a closer ignition live wire in the bay that i can use ? for some reason i have taken these wires which are in the pic attached, i recall some one telling me to use them on my coil, this is the head light loom connector down near the coil pack, red and black wire to coil - / black wire to coil + are these my ignition live which i am looking for ? instead of the black wire i have mentioned above from the steering column. / then also on the coil pack i have green wire from mk2 loom to coil - and black wire from mk2 loom to coil +.

Then to get my rev counter to work i need the red and black wire from the old coil pack loom connector and place it on the coil - ?

post-66071-1357894773.jpg

jamiedub

As regarding the pm .. That brown connector has the ignition live and rev feed .. trace them back to.. Unsure if theres another connector but just trace them back you have the correct amount of wire u need then jobs a goodun..

dart_strife
As regarding the pm .. That brown connector has the ignition live and rev feed .. trace them back to.. Unsure if theres another connector but just trace them back you have the correct amount of wire u need then jobs a goodun..

it was gaz who told me about this, he PMd me this morn, so this is good, i have sorted my live feed to the coil and rev counter, also mikey has told me how to wire my cut off inertia switch and bike pump, so jobs a good one, just need to do this relay you mentioned to put less strain on the battery.

harris.racing

Relay for what will put less strain on the batt? Just ground the earth from the mk2 loom on the body.

You'll notice cars rarely have any wires going to the negative battery terminal, jus one to the body