Sign in to follow this  
Cortinagav

adjusting handbrake from the drums?

Cortinagav

hey guys been told i have to also adjust my handbrake from the drums i know you have to push down that wedge at the top left of my picture but how do i do this been told i can do it through a bolt hole and others have said i have to take the drum of and push the shoes to the side?

how do i adjust it from the drums guys?

SAM_0052_zps9462060f.jpg

its a mk3 polo btw

cheers hopefully someone can help asap?!

erixtar1992

u adjust it under the handbrake lever :s

Cortinagav

already tried that and didnt work ( as i forgot to put the rear beam brackets on!) but i now have them to put on , and have been told to adjust it from the drum as well , was just asking whats the way to do this am searching on here now so if someone can confirm what to do that would put my mind at ease for sure :)

Yeti

Tap the wedge up to loosen it, it'll set adjust itself back up so long as everything's moving freely.

If you know what you're feeling for, you can put a flatblade through the wheel nut hole, under the wedge and give it a tap upwards with a hammer. It's no substitute for stripping the brake properly, inspecting, cleaning and lubing back up though.

Cortinagav

that pic is of my actual brakes rebuilt them all, youre saying a tap it upwards??not downwards? will put a bit of copper grease on it as well if you could just clear that up for me what to do yeti

cheers mate, Gav

Yeti

Up is off, down is on, the spring that comes down from it will adjust it on after a few operations.

As erix says, there's a nut on the front cable under the carpet by the handbrake lever to tighten or loosen the whole system (ie if the shoes are biting equally, but you've got too much or too little handbrake lever travel).

Cortinagav

ah ok think i have got you now as yes i did adjust the nut to full lock under the handbrake and nothing was happening- I'm guessing it is due to those wedges?, so i need to copper grease that wedge , and tap it up on both sides, and make sure the cable that goes to the handbrake is fully loosened. once I've taped the wedges up, put the drums back on, and tighten the adjuster nut under the handbrake and it should basically work?

correct me if I'm wrong really sorry for the novice question all a bit new to this

Edited by Cortinagav

Cortinagav

am i thinking on the right path there?^ also I'm guessing pumping the brakes a few times to settle everything will help wouldnt it ?

gaz56

The idea of those wedges is that they shoes are supposed to auto adjust when you press the brakes a few times. But they're a load of crap.

With mine I took the drum off, and separated the shoes slightly. Either by prising them apart or tapping the wedge down. Then refit the drum and test the handbrake. Keep doing this until it locks the wheel after a couple of clicks. Then do the same for the other side.

Cortinagav

ok cool, so youre saying tap that wedge down pump the brakes and then tighten the adjuster under the handbrake and see what happends from there? thanks for your help there gaz made it a bit clearer and yes they are a bit of a git these aut adjuster/wedges

gaz56

Put the drums on and just pump the brakes at first. They should auto adjust and sort themselves out. If they don't then try what I said. I didn't touch the handbrake adjuster, but you can do it that way I suppose, but that only seems the adjust it a small amount and they can need quite a bit more if the adjuster isnt working properly.

Cortinagav
Put the drums on and just pump the brakes at first. They should auto adjust and sort themselves out. If they don't then try what I said. I didn't touch the handbrake adjuster, but you can do it that way I suppose, but that only seems the adjust it a small amount and they can need quite a bit more if the adjuster isnt working properly.

right will try this tomorrow then, pump the brakes then adjust the cable and see what happens i guess! if not as you say willtake the drums of and tap that wedge down and try again, cheers for the help will update tomorrow(hopefully wont have to but lets see!)

:)

harris.racing

The wedge is on a spring, you don't need to tap it, you literally need to ease the pressure between that shoe and the wedge with a screwdriver of similar lever, literally tiny movement and the wedge will drop down a notch at a time if you're careful, refit and tighten drum and pump pedal and pull hand brake on and off a couple of times then spin the drum to check for resistance, repeat until its at the desired setting

Cortinagav

all sorted it seems, i put the rear beam brackets(bought new from vw) on greased the ends up, slacked the cable pumped brakes then after that adjusted the adjuster nut under the handbrake, and it works! all 3 new cables and rebuilt rear brakes all working fine am really happy now never again am i doing that lol

time to do the hoses and lines and bleed whole system through and mot it

thanks for help guys :)