Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Naz’s 6N Polo Build

no1naz

After being a member for a few years I thought I’d get a build thread up of my car. I never intended on doing a build thread at the beginning so didn’t get many pictures at the early stages.

Anyway, I might as well start from the beginning. Passed my test in July 2007, a month later I picked up this car

1.0L Polo with none of the extras no electric windows, no central locking (annoying on a 5 door), it didn’t even have power steering. It did however have a sunroof, a manual one though :lol:

This isn't my car but it looked just like this when i bought it.

1_zpsbcc343d9.jpg

2_zps9753f590.jpg

Started off by getting some shiny bling bling wheels as every 17 year old kid does

3_zpsebf29700.jpg

Then the next modification was lows

4_zpsadbfd392.jpg

Over the next year the car went through various bumpers, bodykits and interiors (I was young, it had to be done)

When I started uni I needed a car to commute into London a few times a week. Now the 1.0 was not up for the job, it was literally dangerous to overtake on the motorway. So research began on a conversion. I found a post by Dubbprince (Sanjay) on here giving advice to someone about a GTi conversion, so I contacted him and got the car booked in. I decided to have the 6n2 wiring and dash put into the car along with the GTi engine. With this conversion the following was also added to the car, electric windows, central locking power steering and replaced sunroof with an electric one.

Instead of buying the engine dash etc, I purchased a whole GTi on the cheap which had some minor front end damage.

5_zpsdd938257.jpg

1.0L engine out

6_zpse608172c.jpg

Interior out

7_zpsd5b0ac58.jpg

Making way for the new engine

8_zpse640b01d.jpg

Rear disc conversion

9_zpsc303c4b8.jpg

Engine being prepped

10_zps7752307f.jpg

Engine in

11_zps12c03bb9.jpg

12_zpsb985c7be.jpg

New dash and interior wiring

13_zpsf6407db9.jpg

Finished product

14_zpsa8e3924f.jpg

Buying cheap GTi’s and breaking them became a bit of a business for me whilst at uni, it also gave me the opportunity to have a go at refurbing various RX2’s I had at my disposal

15_zps8fd0febb.png

16_zps9c742557.jpg

17_zps83538520.jpg

Next came the hybrid bumper which Ash had made on the group buy which allowed u to have a 6n2 bottom half bumper with a 6n top.

This bumper was quite big in size and required 16" wheels to have a good level of clearance on the floor.

So went and picked up some new wheels.

18_zpsfb75ea5d.jpg

19_zpsc1a39db9.jpg

In my final year of uni I started having a chat with Sanj about doing a 20V conversion. I said to him that when I finished my final exam I would go hunting for the required parts. The waiting game got the better of me and this turned up at my house within a week of speaking to Sanj.

BAM engine complete with K04 setup, engine harness and an 02A Gearbox... got it for a bargain, was well chuffed. We later found out why it was so cheap...

20_zpsbcce02ce.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• no1naz

• Mattnaz

• bantan

• haz911

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

great thread fair play to you :)

How you getting on with this? :)

Looking forward to the rest of this story.....

About time you made a thread on this, come a long way :-D

Jake Ellis

I remember back in 2010 I can to pick up some parts from you(sunroof, headlining and a fee other bits) I was a newbie and knew nothing about polos, me and my dad were arguing if it was a 6n2 or 6n all the way home! Haha it was confusing lol but now I know a lot more its more obvious, love it man, can't believe you've just put a build thread up

Can't wait for updates!

Left us on a cliffhanger.

Haha i had to finish it somewhere, this is going to be a long write up

Looking forward to the rest of this story.....

About time you made a thread on this, come a long way :-D

yeah its been a long time coming

OH YES ONE MORE ON THE GO!!

Eye's are on

Should have regular updates as a lot has been done so yeah keep you are eyes on the thread

I remember back in 2010 I can to pick up some parts from you(sunroof, headlining and a fee other bits) I was a newbie and knew nothing about polos, me and my dad were arguing if it was a 6n2 or 6n all the way home! Haha it was confusing lol but now I know a lot more its more obvious, love it man, can't believe you've just put a build thread up

Can't wait for updates!

yeah i remember, i wasnt going to put a build thread but seemed a shame not to

plus someone has to show of the skills of Sanj!

I will include as much info from the conversion in this build thread incase it helps someone in future, so may take me a while to do the write up and sort through the pics

This part of the build was around April 2011, just to give u an idea how long this conversion took and with good reason as you will see.

After my final exam I had a chat with Sanj, I was told that I had the engine harness but not the actual engine wiring. I was also missing a load of parts from the engine itself like sensors, piping etc. So he said I should start collecting these bits before we could start.

Within an hour or two of this conversation, I called Sanj back and told him I had purchased an Audi TT and I needed somewhere to store it.... needless to say he was a bit speechless

Here are some pics from the ad, it had some front end damage but engine was fine.

21_zpsbcfae833.jpg

So over the next few days he sorted out a unit and this turned up

22_zps23722d0f.jpg

23_zps49fcd652.jpg

Sanj began stripping down the TT, taking what we needed and giving the rest to me to sell

24_zps74af46fd.jpg

25_zpsb7775dbe.jpg

26_zps602f2cfa.jpg

27_zpsc3055b97.jpg

Next the removal of the engine

28_zpsbda8781e.jpg

Started labelling the wiring

29_zps830efecd.jpg

Engine out

30_zps97ab7f19.jpg

31_zps61edc4dc.jpg

We had this going spare, we also had the mounting column, it was a tempting offer to fit but it was extra work we could have done without as the dash needed cutting/trimming and the same would have applied to the doorcards. Could have allowed us to swap in the Audi TT’s interior loom and make it all plug and play with no modifications to the wiring but we decided against it.

32_zpsf3564d3e.jpg

Once the engine was out and most of the TT was stripped, my car came in to the unit, the GTi engine was removed and sold

33_zps065cd828.jpg

34_zpse173ae2c.jpg

35_zpsfc7281bb.jpg

We had the following siting at the unit, TT shell, Haldex system and Propshaft, enough to consider going 4WD.

36_zps754fce67.jpg

37_zps83704206.jpg

38_zps28e6d9b3.jpg

But due to the amount of work involved, we decided against it, so the Audi TT shell was scrapped

Now we had 2 20v engines. A BAM (which I had purchased before hand) and an APX (which came out of the Audi TT), we decided to sell the APX as the APX had its boost pipes painted bright red (you can see it on the right side in the pic below), which didn’t seem to promising for the health of the engine.

39_zps277af032.jpg

I wasn’t aware at the time that the APX had a narrowband ECU and was missing certain things that the BAM had such as EGT. This meant the wiring was of no use to us either. This meant buying the Audi TT was not worth the time and effort as we used very very little from it. I did make a fair amount of profit on the car which helped fund the project, so guess that was something

I sold the 02A gearbox with the APX engine and bought a newer 02R gearbox from a 9n3 GTi and fitted a Peloquin Limited Slip Differential

40_zps1cf57149.jpg

Edited by no1naz

ahhhh Naz mate its been so long since I came down to pick the ARC bottom end up off of you =D

have followed this on sanjs facebook, have only ever met one other person other than yourself who dabbles so much in breaking cars lol (jamesb) and Sanj truly is a whiz with the spanners.....never know mate, one day this might get finished ;)

ahhhh Naz mate its been so long since I came down to pick the ARC bottom end up off of you =D

have followed this on sanjs facebook, have only ever met one other person other than yourself who dabbles so much in breaking cars lol (jamesb) and Sanj truly is a whiz with the spanners.....never know mate, one day this might get finished ;)

yeah its been a while.. the cars changed alot since i last saw u... for the better as u can see :lol:

but u never know.. i could already be driving it :ninja:

I want an 02R box :( need more pictures naz ;)

If u do manage to get an 02R box, have the gearbox oil changed as many came out of the factory with the wrong grade in them and caused many failures

When i had the Peloquin diff fitted, i had them check over the internals of the box

but we took plenty of pics of the build so may as well use them :-)

plus it should stop all the 'how do i get a 20v in my car' questions

I want an 02R box :( need more pictures naz ;)

If u do manage to get an 02R box, have the gearbox oil changed as many came out of the factory with the wrong grade in them and caused many failures

When i had the Peloquin diff fitted, i had them check over the internals of the box

but we took plenty of pics of the build so may as well use them :-)

plus it should stop all the 'how do i get a 20v in my car' questions

Ahh good to know mate. Ill keep my eye out for one!

Yeah i have with mine... get fed up with them coming up all the time.

Looking good anyway!

i think I've asked this before... but what diff did you end up getting from peloquin

I've got the 02R box in mine but couldnt for the life of me find a diff that fits !

i think I've asked this before... but what diff did you end up getting from peloquin

I've got the 02R box in mine but couldnt for the life of me find a diff that fits !

This is what i purchased,

http://www.peloquins.com/products_02J_B.html

You need to email them directly to make a purchase

They will need your gearbox code to make sure they send u the right one

See the below image on how to get your code

Gearboxcode_zps6baf79f5.png

my code was JDB, I believe yours will be the same

I had to pay $120 in postage on it from the states.

But the Diff was a fair bit cheaper back when i bought it plus the exchange rate was stronger.

So it might be cheaper to go to Quaife in the UK, which is essentially the same thing.

Just make sure u get the ARP bolts which comes standard with Peloquin, Last i checked you had to buy it seperately with Quaife but this may have changed

Next we stripped the engine bay of everything as well as the interior

41_zpsc91924fc.jpg

42_zps4215b0d6.jpg

Next was mounting the engine. Through research we found out the 9n3 GTi drivers mount can be mounted to the 6n standard mounting area. We also purchased a 9n3 GTi passenger side chassis leg which was going to be welded onto my chassis leg to accommodate the 9n3 GTi gearbox mount. Here are the pics if anyone is interested in the design of those mounts.

43_zpsbebf50d5.jpg

44_zps389d82c4.jpg

45_zpsa090eb38.jpg

46_zps8267e7e9.jpg

47_zps2c79647a.jpg

The plan was to use the above mounts with a VF engineering dogbone mount, which is a very stuff version of the standard mount

48_zpsac9f8847.jpg

After purchasing the VF mount I heard a few horror stories of the mount snapping. After further research I found out it was because people were using a VF dogbone mount with standard engine and gearbox mounts. The top mounts allowed the engine to flex under load which the VF mount was designed to prevent. This would cause too much stress on the dogbone mount and cause it to snap. So I decided to buy the other two VF engine mounts which would prevent the engine from rocking at all (which also had the added benefit of reducing wheel hop).

49_zps777b17b8.jpg

Another problem with these mounts was they used Audi TT/ MK4 Golf mounting points. So I sold the 9n3 mounts and purchased the driver’s side mounting point from and Audi TT and starting measuring up the mounting locations.

When deciding on how to mount the engine me and Sanj agreed that the priority was to have the driveshafts as straight with the hubs as possible (as opposed to at an angle, as many have done in the past), this meant the engine was sat quite far forward in the bay. This worked to our advantage which will be shown later.

After some moving around we were finally happy with the way the engine was sitting, here are some pictures of this along with the clearance levels around the engine and gearbox. As you can tell, it’s a tight fit! At the early stages of planning this conversion we decided that we didn’t want to cut the chassis leg to clear the gearbox, this has been avoided by people in the past on 6n 20V conversions so we didn’t see why we couldn’t avoid it. The gearbox seemed to clear but only just. But with my stiff VF mounts the engine should not have much movement under load so it should be ok, if not the chassis leg only requires very minor trimming.

50_zps03dbee69.jpg

51_zps181a2ab2.jpg

52_zps3cc87445.jpg

53_zpsa885df4a.jpg

54_zps1880ff86.jpg

55_zps248b4c87.jpg

56_zpsd95c4135.jpg

57_zpseb75ac51.jpg

58_zps7226b4ed.jpg

59_zps5519fab8.jpg

Time to make the mounting points, Drivers side

60_zps2cd4f6d9.jpg

61_zps27808504.jpg

62_zps4839f723.jpg

63_zpsd56e0322.jpg

64_zpsa7be639d.jpg

Time to see how the passenger side lines up and we have our first problem (the first of many), gearbox looks like it could come into contact with other components.

65_zps67330679.jpg

66_zps4e2a7078.jpg

67_zps3a0e4f72.jpg

68_zpsc7f77ec9.jpg

Front end goes on to check fitment/clearance

69_zps44bdc638.jpg

We decided that angling the back of the mount slightly would resolve our issue

70_zps2bb24b89.jpg

Finishing off the mounting area

71_zpsd3e6592c.jpg

72_zpsc1c5faac.jpg

73_zpsd0bfa7bc.jpg

74_zpsea6f3199.jpg

75_zps283ffbe8.jpg

Had a quick go at sorting the pedalbox as we were using DBW which the BAM engine was as standard so we used components from the Audi TT and used them on our pedalbox. The pedal box used is from a 6n2 TDI which has a hydro clutch as standard. We were originally going to fit a cable to hydro converter but it seemed a better job to fit a proper hydro clutch setup.

76_zps4f3946b9.jpg

77_zps2abe0208.jpg

78_zpsac83e503.jpg

Next Sanj made a custom lower gearbox mount, il let the pics do the talking

79_zpsd65f1984.jpg

80_zpsa9ebd8c5.jpg

Slightly better clearance

81_zpsc110ca0e.jpg

Sitting on the two top mounts

82_zpsdda0fe2f.jpg

83_zps95fd8097.jpg

Before moving onto the lower/dogbone/pendulum mount whatever you want to call it, Sanj recommended seam welding the subframe and wishbones to cope with the power

84_zps81634d63.jpg

85_zps643856f5.jpg

86_zps20ea3d82.jpg

87_zps98d025e4.jpg

88_zpsfa5f28d4.jpg

Then onto the dogbone mounting area

89_zps4e62f081.jpg

90_zpsb0ab6587.jpg

Car now taking the full weight of the engine

91_zpsb55f4fb7.jpg

Next is when the build really got interesting 8-)

polovr6man

MINT! another one on the go. I'm glad times have changed and everyone keeps slamming these big engines in. At one time everybody lowered them and put some big wheels on them at that was them finished. For me personally when I'm at shows i don't bother even having a close look at them if there's a little 1.0L sitting under bonnet. Its all about the engine IMO. Great work though mate, cant wait to see it finished.

MINT! another one on the go. I'm glad times have changed and everyone keeps slamming these big engines in. At one time everybody lowered them and put some big wheels on them at that was them finished. For me personally when I'm at shows i don't bother even having a close look at them if there's a little 1.0L sitting under bonnet. Its all about the engine IMO. Great work though mate, cant wait to see it finished.

yeah quite a few one the go, but because of that i had to make mine different and stand out

You'll see how i did that soon :-D

4wd it ha?

No, i did consider it tho

Theres a guy on edition38 who welded a TT floorplan to his Leon to make it 4WD

the amount of work involved is insane

plus 4WD adds alot of weight

As Sanj was working on the car, I thought about going big turbo at which point I saw a bargain APR Stage 3+ turbo setup in the states. It consisted of a GT28RS turbo capable up to 350bhp with quickspool. The manifold was capable of taking the next turbo up (3071R) which is capable of 400bhp+ so gives me future upgrade options.

Due to items generally being cheaper in the States, I also purchased some Brute Rifle Drilled Rods as BAM engines seem to bend rods around the 300bhp mark. I also purchased some ACL Coated Bearings and Siemens 550cc Injectors to finish of the kit. These were posted to the guy with the big turbo who kindly shipped them all over with the big turbo kit. After 3 weeks (and a customs investigations), the items were delivered.

92_zps353a1a74.jpg

93_zps054979a1.jpg

94_zpsa56484ef.jpg

95_zps6e676f12.jpg

96_zps38cf1edf.jpg

Next on the agenda was the driveshaft’s. The common method that most people use on conversions like this is welding two different shafts and sleeving them. I was not happy with that process and found a company to make me some shafts from scratch. Sanj welded two different shafts to our required length (6n2 GTi outer shaft and mk3 2.0 16v inner shaft which has uses 100mm CV’s which matches the 9n3 GTi gearbox I am using). They were sent to Berrisford Chassis & Components to be made.

Very happy with the quality of the shafts, these were powdercoated and fitted to the car.

dcfda1be-fc75-44ab-b1d3-b8116a34e8ab_zps

98_zps1b2cd326.jpg

Next was re-routing the brake lines and fitting the hydro clutch. We fitted a stubby brake master cylinder from an Ibiza Cupra R and the brake lines were re-done as they sat too close to the engine.

99_zpscb8d3123.jpg

100_zps1e7c589b.jpg

101_zps22d73511.jpg

102_zps17a4df47.jpg

103_zps9bb988ba.jpg

104_zps59dcafb7.jpg

The master cylinder required a small spacer as without it the brakes were always slightly being pressed

105_zps87cfc92a.jpg

Mate am i need of some help what have you done to mount the clutch pedal box as am struggling to fit mine into my 6n plz help me out pics and info would be a treat

Mate am i need of some help what have you done to mount the clutch pedal box as am struggling to fit mine into my 6n plz help me out pics and info would be a treat

what pedal box are you using? we used a 6n2 TDI one so fitment wasnt an issue

you will need to cut your bulkhead slightly so you can fit a hydraulic clutch line.. see the 2nd and 3rd from last pics in my last post ^