Sign in to follow this  
stormintrooper

premature speaker failure

madmike87

you was plenning to build speaker pods in the food well i think id just build them on the doors, it is normally better to over power the sub but it isnt common that everything is under powered aslong as its a clean signal its fine

the amp will be 100w rms for the front and 325w rms for the sub at 4ohms brigded with a ported tuned box it will be more efficient and louder off less or more power

every sub will need a different size box and the amp output will effect the size also

stormintrooper

so alpine sub good or bad? lol

trouble with mouting them in the doors is i have no pre-existing rubber gaitors for between door and body, its quite literally just two hinges and the bar that stops it opening too far

madmike87

over priced I'm not sure what mean?

stormintrooper

is that sub i just linked worth the time?

madmike87

yes if its cheap

madmike87

just buy a jbl gt5

stormintrooper

got a 12" one for £30 new, hope thats good lol

madmike87

a gt5? just need comps, decent box, wiring, amp and speaker pods now then

stormintrooper

yeah a gt5, gna order the comps when i get refund money for the pyles, might make a box, still stumped about speaker pods as yet though

madmike87

You need to build a box to spec or it will sound shit, I'd do them in the doors

dixy

X2,

I eouldnt bother with the rear speakers. There nothing better then a good quality front sound stage. If it's setup right you shouldn't even need a subwoofer.

I would do as above and then say if you need rrar speakers, personally I wouldn't as its a small car anyway.

madmike87

yes indeed if the speakers were in the doors they will be good enough in the low/mid bass if sound deadened and pods well built will sound great, if the near the floor then it wouldnt sound as good at all

dixy

There is a guide on here in the faq section for mk2/3 doors, which I think would work quite well, and if you opened the door card up behind the tube/pod into the door cavity it would be better still.

I would mount the tweeted either up untie corners near the mirrors, or flush mount onthe door panel itself. You could putthem were the original dash speakers are, but this wouldn't be as good.

The method in the faq uses a plastic tube, which isnt a bad idea, but you could always cover it in fibreglass to strengthen it and close off the top, this would make it look a bot more discrete.

I had planed on doing this to our mk2, but decided against it because the car was so original. Even had the original tape deck.

stormintrooper

i dnt know why people keep saying i have dash speakers or the slots for them when i dont lol

madmike87

only too get it running but custom is better, louder and built to sub spec

stormintrooper

how would i go about getting one like that?

madmike87

I can build the custom tuned ones

stormintrooper

sounds good to me, think you could make one to fit around the rear suspension mount? to save space?

madmike87

yes but its more expensive as it takes alot longer and id need more materials, depending on the size it might have to be sealed when in that location but will have to check and measure up

stormintrooper

normal box will have to do as it would come out on enough occasions for it to warrant not being made to fit

madmike87

ok, but dont exspect alot of boom with a budget sealed box

stormintrooper

no, il have one of yours, i just mean i wont botherseeing if you can mould it to suspension bulge if it means it would need securing down