JoeUK

MK1-2-3 Wet Floors Read this first please guys

JoeUK

Hi all, I've got a leak in the left side of my boot. I chucked a load of water over it and it doesn't seem to be the light. I've traced the water back to a certain point in the boot but beyond this point i'm not so sure where it's coming from. The rubber seal looks in decent condition and doesn't come away from the metal anywhere so i'm not convinced that's the issue plus i don't see any water coming from it. Thinking maybe the furthest left top bumper screw hole but really i have no idea. I took some pictures and wondered if anyone has had water coming from the same place and where the problem spot was. It's a mk2f.

The first picture shows the bit of metal unerneath the left corner of the boot opening and second shows the flap of metal that sits underneath it and the water seems to be coming from under that flap of metal, can't find where it's coming from beyong there.

Thanks.

post-37747-1355414425.jpg

post-37747-1355415313.jpg

Kevlar6n

Hello, I have just joined this club

My little polo has currently got a leak in the spare wheel well and right hand side quarter panel I believe it is coming from underneath the rear light by the bumper as there was a big build up of water just wondered if anyone else has had this problem or know any solutions

c.w.pritchard

Is this a mk2f? I had a problem with my coupe gt 1991. The seam that runs down the back of the car on both side opened due to the car flexing when moving. I filled mine with a flexible filer and painted over. Initially I thought it was coming from both lights.

1vw2many

Hi did you find and repair your leak ?

Buxton

X2 :/ stupid rain

JoeUK

Bit of a revival this eh. But yes, the car appears to of had a rear end crash at some point and it's made a tiny split behind the rear bumper where two bits of metal join. Put some sealent on it which worked up untill a week ago oddly enough and now it's leaking again . . . yay . . . So welding time i think.

You both might know this already but if it's flooding into the boot then check under the rear seat too, i had what can only be described as a small pond developing under the rear bench.

1vw2many

I had the same problem as you , took me a while to pinpoint the problem sealed it with flexable car body sealer I think its ok now , but other side has a leak now but it is coming from above the rear light and seat belt in between the void , can get my hand only so far up but have not got a clue :x

JoeUK

Ah shame i didn't reply sooner, might of saved you the hassle, Used the same stuff too but it has eventually come back so yeah. Taking the bumper off didn't cross my mind for ages somehow, so you can imagine how it looked when i spent months running outside with buckets of water, chucking them on the car and then opening the boot and quickly jumping inside over to find where it was getting in.

Leaking rear right window maybe? Or that seam on the edge of the roof. Those are two things that come to my mind anyway. Goodluck finding it.

1vw2many

Yes people must think I am mad chucking water over back of car and when it rains running out and jumping in the car looking for the entry of water coming in lol...well thought it might be the window rubber but have tested that shall keep trying . Did think about that roof seam may take the trim off and seal that joint .

1vw2many

I replaced drivers door mirror as mine had failed and had no adjustment any more , but when I took door car off it was soaked in water and a lot of the plastic door seal between the door and door card was missing so how the hell do I replace it ? please do not say bin bag lol ..

steveo3002

pretty much everyone does use just use a bit of bag and some good quality duck tape or double sided

runforrestrun

I used some decent tape and a builders rubble bag cut to size. Job done!

If you're feeling fussy then you can buy membrane off eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-door-plastic-moisture-membrane-/370964551868?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item565f35d8bc

but it will do the same job for much more money.

1vw2many

Could use a heat gun so it follows the shape of the door ...

Edited by mazraclou

1vw2many

All looks ok but you need the bottom section to go inward to follow the bottom part of the door card ? am not sure how to achive this ? that's why I said I maybe able to use a heat gun so I could mould the shape ?

steveo3002

flat works ok

1vw2many

Job done shall get on it next week may post up some photos . Thank you all :D

Yeti

Yep just get some strong plastic, rubble sacks work fine, and gaffer tape it on. It's behind the door card so no one's ever going to see it.

steveo3002

take all the clips off so you can do a proper neat job

kieran collanz

Hi dudes whers the best places to check for leaks I'm sure its comming diwn throttle pedal...

Cheers

1vw2many

Clips off will do and am sure I already have some builders rubble sacks ..

mark_crox

Battery tray. Remove battery and have a poke around.

g40jon

might be as easy to get a torch and look up from the footwell. Don't prod too hard, you might find there won't be much left. A total bitch to repair properly too in my experience.

kiran_182

might be as easy to get a torch and look up from the footwell. Don't prod too hard, you might find there won't be much left. A total bitch to repair properly too in my experience.

yep, if you patch it from inside the bay you have to watch out as it'll put the battery out of place and may foul on the bonnet hinge

Leadfootbooth

After some fairly heavy rain recently I've discovered my drivers floor is soaked! Its not the battery tray as I've had that done.

Are there any things to check and how do I dry it out?