Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Polo N mk1 1976

polofin

More progress:

New headliner installation, still not done on rear (boot lid is not painted so, cant finish this off). Headliner ordered from germany.

1.jpg

Motor with gearbox ready for mounting

2.jpg

Some interior work, easy to do mostly because cables in original condition.

3.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• polofin

• smed

• Nikzworld

• lukeherbert

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update for this build: Engine: MH engine gets treatment with following specs before summer: Honed,Bored,painted + all seals changed, water & oil pump changed. Honda D16a6 pistons 75.5mm Honda

Posted Images

Forgot tell other things what done:

Used cabin wirings from donor polo and made wirings for electric fuel pump, rpm gauge and for radio/cassette player.

Also fixed the old radio, + wire was in bad shape and snapped, so needed to replace it and soldered new wire for it, also fm seeker needle got little bit care, didn't show correct fm number when selecting stations, took some time to adjust the internal string for it correctly. :D I just couldn't resist to fix it too before mounting it back to car.

For engine, we removed mechaical fuel pump, cylinder head replaced too with new one. HA engine got following setup now:

HA bottom

HC head with HC cam

1.3L MH exhaust and intake manifolds, carburetor.

Todo for engine:

We planned to convert MH TCI ignition and distributor into older distributor which fits to old mechanical head, need some grinding but it is doable, should give some better results in HP/Torque.

Todo for body:

Strip all seals and window chromes from donor polo and tidy them up before mounting those.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, mot passed. Still minor things to do in future, this is now done basically. (except for engine :D)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of update:

Changed dizzy to seat ibiza one (same as saab 900), with electronic ignition (TCI with vacuum advance). Made huge difference for driving, engine runs now properly and easier to adjust timing properly + no hazzle with contact breakers (i hate those).

Alternator unfortunately generates weakly too, needs some care and i don't know yet whats the problem is, probably faulty brushes.

Positive things about TA technix coilover kit:

Damn good, overall handling is very accurate, not too stiff for daily driving and gives very good feel while driving. Best 500 € spent imho.

Little bit of update:

Changed dizzy to seat ibiza one (same as saab 900), with electronic ignition (TCI with vacuum advance). Made huge difference for driving, engine runs now properly and easier to adjust timing properly + no hazzle with contact breakers (i hate those).

Alternator unfortunately generates weakly too, needs some care and i don't know yet whats the problem is, probably faulty brushes.

Positive things about TA technix coilover kit:

Damn good, overall handling is very accurate, not too stiff for daily driving and gives very good feel while driving. Best 500 € spent imho.

Any chance you have the part numbers for the dizzy set up?

or more info.

Hi,

dizzy is:

Seat ibiza mk1 from 1.2l engine:

Dizzy must be from pre -1988 and engine with carburetor, after 1988 they changed cylinder heads for ibizas.

google tells these part numbers:

• BOSCH 0237021050
  • BOSCH 0237021027
  • BOSCH (EXCHANGE) 0986237329
  • BOSCH (EXCHANGE) 0986237326
  • SEAT XO39671640
  • SEAT XO39489000
  • VOLKSWAGEN 0003967164
  • VOLKSWAGEN 0003948900

Note:

Please check that the dizzy does have right rear for mk1 cylinder head:

http://www.milanuncios.com/otros-recambios/seat-0237021027-106935638.htm

ignition module:

1227022008 BOSCH (available from numerous manufactures)

Any TCI coil should do well.

Dizzy is straight bolt on, flange in dizzy only does have place for 2 bolts instead of the original 3 bolts but it is not a problem.

Edited by polofin
  • 1 month later...

Car is now placed to winter storage and less than 2000km's driven, very good season after all, no mechanical failures.

Todo for next summer:

Paint fix

finish electrics and interior

Engine swap to 1.3l

Also i maybe build another polo next summer :D

• 1 year later...

Update for this build:

Engine:

MH engine gets treatment with following specs before summer:

Honed,Bored,painted + all seals changed, water & oil pump changed.

Honda D16a6 pistons 75.5mm

Honda 134.5mm D15B2 conrods

Stock crank (will be balanced)

Mechanical head with complete headjob, tarket valves 38/31.5

2.9kg flywheel

Camshaft: +290 degree

Fuel supply: 2x twin 40 weber dcoe

Electrics:

Complete rework, will be done this summer. Completely build from ground up, planning at the moment. No more fighting with old cables.

Parts acquired (excluding crank bearings)

EAOLMKw.jpg

For other engine builders, honda piston & conrod combo should suit all mk1 + mk2 1.3liter engines (1.05 and 1.1 too):

Thanks for this german guy who discovered this combo:

http://forum.polomagazin.de/thread.php?threadid=36609

Edited by polofin
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

great to see you back on it Jere.

mines taking a while but getting there.

will be interesting to see the outcome of the engine build, what kind of power can you expect?

great to see you back on it Jere.

mines taking a while but getting there.

will be interesting to see the outcome of the engine build, what kind of power can you expect?

Hi,

yeah its been while a back when last time posted. I read about your derby and those welding job were very good looking and take no hurry with the car or too much stressing with it, eventually it will get ready :P

Our's engine will be very "racy" for street and low end torque is going to be minimal, hopefully not driving too much in cities :D

About the power: if all goes planned, we should see +100bhp from wheels when properly tuned on dyno. This is based on seeing what others have archived with different kind builds and with some calculations made.

Compression ratio goes up to 11.5 -12, camshaft is 316 and weber's should be enough with 40mm bodies. Now the most important parts is the head, if all goes right the power should be archivable. Our aim is 100bhp/litre.

For power estimations this was used while choosing parts and seeing different engine builds:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120626081319/http://dairally.net/daihard/chas/MiscCalculators/DaiPipes.htm

Ignition is the only weak link in our build, it is from ibiza so we don't know how it will work with new build. If it doesn't -> nodiz will be acquired.

Later plans:

For gearbox p(after engine build and this summers tests etc):

085 5 speed will be acquired too, no plans for diff yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Last bits slowly being delivered to me.

Adjustable cam pulley

Heat wrap for exhaust header

4x map unit for arduino based throttle sync project

Temperature sensor + arduino for it (for afr)

Block bored and honed, test assembly next week at workshop, so they could start the head job

Not yet acquired or done:

Crank balancing

Weber nozzles, chokes and tubes. gasoline pump and pressure regulator

Shrick camshaft <- next one on the list, should be ordered in 3 weeks

innovate's afr unit. <- if all goes well, this too in 3 weeks

cylinder head still at workshop

tominator

Update:

Last bits slowly being delivered to me.

Adjustable cam pulley

Heat wrap for exhaust header

4x map unit for arduino based throttle sync project

Temperature sensor + arduino for it (for afr)

Block bored and honed, test assembly next week at workshop, so they could start the head job

Not yet acquired or done:

Crank balancing

Weber nozzles, chokes and tubes. gasoline pump and pressure regulator

Shrick camshaft <- next one on the list, should be ordered in 3 weeks

innovate's afr unit. <- if all goes well, this too in 3 weeks

cylinder head still at workshop

Can't wait to see this finished Jere!

• 5 months later...

Hmm, i need to fix project images from my hosting site, will do it in week.

Meantime:

Polo is now in garage and old engine removed yesterday. Next job is cleaning up front and start to work with electrics and new engine.

Upcoming jobs for 2017 year before summer:

Interior finishing,repairing all seals and paint fixes.

Attached pic of new head and little ig video from yesterday.

14695843_107160129755599_6297741487069200384_n.mp4

14072749_926593927469720_354725126_n.jpg

Edited by polofin
instagram embed doesnt work
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
degauquiermaxime

how is it goiing with the engine? I'm planning a rebuild and mild tune on a hh engine.

plans are:

- bike carbs (manifold is beeing reworked at the moment, they have run on my gg engine before)

-full powersprint exhaust including manifold (allready fitted)

-cam 280 or 292 dbilas regrind (do i need aftermarket valve springs for a 280 dbilas? wich ones would work?)

-cr +- 10.5

-flowed head maybe bigger inlet valves

how did it work out with the honda parts? would I need to skim the blok or head a lot to reach 10.5 cr?

• 3 weeks later...
On 25.1.2017 at 23:13, degauquiermaxime said:

how is it goiing with the engine? I'm planning a rebuild and mild tune on a hh engine.

plans are:

- bike carbs (manifold is beeing reworked at the moment, they have run on my gg engine before)

-full powersprint exhaust including manifold (allready fitted)

-cam 280 or 292 dbilas regrind (do i need aftermarket valve springs for a 280 dbilas? wich ones would work?)

-cr +- 10.5

-flowed head maybe bigger inlet valves

how did it work out with the honda parts? would I need to skim the blok or head a lot to reach 10.5 cr?

Hi,

Engine is in bay now, need to get few parts sorted out before starting it first time. Will post pics this week :)

Honda parts fitted quite easily and CR should be low 10 without skimming block or head, i dont remember exact numbers for cr before skimming. 10.2 maybe? Will check the calcs.

With 280 or 292, original vw double springs should fit and take the abuse, i've read that big block springs will fit into small head. We bought schrick cam + double springs.

Pistons will rise with honda parts near to deck so use original gasket 1,6mm when fitted so it will lower cr. If cr needs to be raised, skim head or use newer engine gasket.

With 316 or lower cam valves wont hit piston at tdc, so theres no need for valve pockets in mechanical heads. 324 and 332 cams need some more clearance.

Heres original thread using honda parts in small block with hydr. head:

http://forum.polomagazin.de/thread.php?threadid=36609&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

• 1 year later...

Uh oh, 1 year of hiatus coming to end. I should update this more often but coming soon:

Engine will be lifted out of the bay (3rd time with new engine), needs some gearbox mods because of mk2 flywheel + mk1 gearbox combination.

5. speed box will be on next winters to-do list with overhauling all bearings etc.

Some electrical jobs in the bay + figure cooling properly.

Hopefully this summer car is in good condition and minors faults/flaws sorted out. Should be easy upkeep after that.

Br,

polo